Representing Referential Properties of Nominals
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper concerns grammatical phenomena sensitive to certain classes of nominal forms, i.e., those that encode different kinds of referential properties of the nominal. We propose a grammar component for defining and picking out such semantic classes of nominal forms within typed feature structure formalisms such as the one used in HPSG, thus aiming at standardizing the representation of such phenomena. The grammar component includes four semantic features associated with the discourse referent of a nominal, i.e., cognitive status, specificity, partitivity, and whether the nominal has a universal interpretation or not. The proposed grammar component reduces to an assumed minimum a relatively large set of features that have already been proposed in analyses of the kind of phenomena at focus here, and it is hypothesized that parts of the structure are likely to be shared among grammars for different languages.
- Abeillé, A., Godard, D. French Word Order and Lexical Weight. In: Borsley, R.D. eds. (1998) Syntactic Categories. Syntax and Semantics. Academic Press, New York
- Asudeh A., Mikkelsen L. H.(2000) Incorporation in Danish: Implications for interfaces. In Cann R., Grover C., Miller P. (eds), A Collection of Papers on Head-driven Phrase Structure Grammar. Stanford University.
- Bender, E., Flickinger D., Oepen S. (2003) The HPSG Grammar Matrix (version 0.4). Available at http://www.delph-in.net/matrix.
- Borthen K. (1998) Linguistic Evidence Prompting the Linguistic Necessity of Donnellan’s Attributive/Referential Distinction. Norwegian Bare Superlatives. Manuscript, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Borthen K. (2003) Norwegian Bare Singulars. PhD thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Börjars K. (1994) Feature Distribution in Swedish Noun Phrases. PhD thesis, University of Manchester.
- Copestake, A. (2002) Implementing Typed Feature Structure Grammars. CSLI Publications, Stanford, CA
- Diesing, M. (1992) Indefinites. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Donnellan, K.S. (1996) Reference and Definite Descriptions. The Philosophical Review 75: pp. 281-304 CrossRef
- Enç, M. (1991) The Semantics of Specificity. Linguistic Inquiry 22: pp. 1-25
- Eynde F. (2002) Prenominals and Pronominals in Dutch. Draft, September.
- Flickinger D. (2002) The English Resouce Grammar. CSLI, Stanford University.
- Fodor, J.D., Sag, I. (1982) Referential and Quantificational Indefinites. Linguistics and Philosphy 5: pp. 355-398 CrossRef
- Fretheim T., Dommelen W., Borthen K. (1997) Linguistic Constraints on Relevance in Reference Resolution. In Singer, K., Eggert R., Anderson G. (eds) CLS 33. Papers from The Main Session 1997.
- Gundel, J.K., Hedberg, N., Zacharski, R. (1993) Cognitive Status and the Form of Referring Expressions in Discourse. Language 69: pp. 274-307 CrossRef
- Gundel J.K. (2003) Information Structure and Referential Givenness/Newness: How Much Belongs in the Grammar?. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. CSLI, Stanford University.
- Haugereid P. (2001) Light Pronouns in Norwegian: A Syntactic-semantic Declarative Approach. Master’s Thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Hellan, L., Haugereid, P. Norsource – An Exercise in the Matrix Grammar Building Design. In: Bender, E., Flickinger, D., Fouvry, F., Siegel, M. eds. (1997) Proceedings of ESSLLI workshop: Ideas and Strategies for Multilingual Grammar Development.. Austria, Vienna
- Hellan L., Haugereid P. (2004) NorSource. Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Kallulli D. (1999) The Comparative Syntax of Albanian: On the Contribution of Syntactic Types to Propositional Interpretation. PhD thesis, University of Durham.
- Milsark, G.L. (1997) Toward an Explanation of Certain Peculiarities of the Existential Construction in English. Linguistic Analysis 3: pp. 1-29
- Neville A. (2000) An HPSG Accont of Danish Pre-nominals. PhD thesis, Copenhagen University.
- Pollard, C., Sag, I. (1994) Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London
- Prince, E. Toward a Taxonomy of Given-new Information. In: Cole, P. eds. (1981) Radical pragmatics. Academic Press, New York
- Schmitt, C., A. Munn. (1999) Agains the Nominal Mapping Parameter: Bare Nouns in Brazilian Portuguese. NELS 29.
- Representing Referential Properties of Nominals
Research on Language and Computation
Volume 3, Issue 2-3 , pp 221-246
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- NP semantics
- referential properties
- cognitive status
- universal interpretation