Not Yet Making Sense of Political Toleration
- Peter Balint
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A growing number of theorists have argued that toleration, at least in its traditional sense, is no longer applicable to liberal democratic political arrangements—especially if these political arrangements are conceived of as neutral. Peter Jones has tried make sense of political toleration while staying true to its more traditional (disapproval yet non-prevention) meaning. In this article, while I am sympathetic to his motivation, I argue that Jones’ attempt to make sense of political toleration is not successful.
- Bayle, Pierre. 2005 [1686–1688]. A philosophical commentary on these words of the gospel, Luke 14: 23, ‘Compel them to come in, that my house may be full’. eds John Kilcullen and Chandran Kukathas. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, Inc.
- Churchill, Robert Paul. 2003. Neutrality and the virtue of toleration. In Toleration, neutrality and democracy, eds Dario Castiglione, and Catriona McKinnon, 65–76. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Forst, Rainer. Toleration in conflict. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (Forthcoming).
- Galeotti, Anna Elisabetta. 2002. Toleration as recognition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Gray, John. 1995. Enlightenment’s wake: Politics and culture at the close of the modern age. London: Routledge. CrossRef
- Heyd, David. 2008. Is toleration a political virtue? In Toleration and its limits (NOMOS 48), eds Melissa S. Williams, and Jeremy Waldron, 171–194. New York: New York University Press.
- Horton, John. 1996. Toleration as a virtue. In Toleration: An elusive virtue, ed. David Heyd, 28–43. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Jones, Peter. 2003. Toleration and neutrality: Compatible ideals? In Toleration, neutrality and democracy, eds Dario Castiglione, and Catriona McKinnon, 97–110. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Jones, Peter. 2007. Making sense of political toleration. British Journal of Political Science 37: 383–402. CrossRef
- Jones, Peter. 2011. Political toleration: A reply to Newey. British Journal of Political Science 41: 445–447. CrossRef
- King, Preston. 1976. Toleration. London: George Allen & Unwin.
- Locke, John. 1983 . A letter concerning toleration. ed. James Tully. Indianapolis: Hackett.
- Meckled-Garcia, Saladin. 2001. Toleration and neutrality: Incompatible ideals? Res Publica 7: 293–313. CrossRef
- Newey, Glen. 1999. Virtue, reason and toleration. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Newey, Glen. 2001. Is democratic toleration a rubber duck? Res Publica 7: 315–336. CrossRef
- Newey, Glen. 2011. Political toleration: Reply to Jones. British Journal of Political Science 41: 223–227. CrossRef
- Seligman, Adam B. 2003. Tolerance, tradition and modernity. Cardozo Law Review 24: 1645–1656.
- Not Yet Making Sense of Political Toleration
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 259-264
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Political toleration
- Peter Jones
- Peter Balint (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The University of New South Wales, Canberra, ACT, 2602, Australia