Between Insensitivity and Incompleteness: Against the Will Theory of Rights
- Nicholas Vrousalis
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper recasts an old objection to the will theory in the light of recent attempts to defend that theory, notably by Nigel Simmonds and Hillel Steiner. It enlists the idea of duties of care—effectively restrictions over legal officials’ discretionary exercise of powers—to form a dilemma for such theorists: either legal officials’ discretion over powers is restricted by duties of care for the unempowerable, or it is not. If their discretion is unrestricted, then the will theory is insensitive to the (values of the) lives of the unempowerable, in virtue of the fact that these lives are viewed as not meriting direct normative consideration. If, on the other hand, their discretion is restricted by duties of care, then the will theory has no argumentative resources within its conceptual apparatus to ascribe or justify them. It is therefore incomplete as a theory of rights.
- Cohen, G.A. 1995. Self-ownership, freedom, and equality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- Hart, H.L.A. 1982. Essays on Bentham. Oxford: Clarendon.
- Kramer, Matthew et al. (eds). 2008. The legacy of H.L.A. Hart: legal, political and moral philosophy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kramer, Matthew, Nigel Simmonds, and Hillel Steiner. 1998. A debate over rights. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Steiner, Hillel. 1994. An essay on rights. Oxford: Clarendon.
- Steiner, Hillel. 1998. Working rights. In A debate over rights, eds M. Kramer, N.E. Simmonds and H. Steiner. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Steiner, Hillel. 2006. Moral rights. In The Oxford handbook of ethical theory, ed. David Copp. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Wenar, Leif. 2005. The nature of rights. Philosophy and Public Affairs 33: 223–252.
- Between Insensitivity and Incompleteness: Against the Will Theory of Rights
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 415-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Theories of rights
- Legal rights
- Hillel Steiner
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chaire Hoover d’éthique économique et sociale, Université catholique de Louvain, Place Montesquieu 3, 1348, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium