Discussion of “intangible investment and the importance of firm-specific factors in the determination of earnings”
- Darren T. Roulstone
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Brown and Kimbrough (Review of Accounting Studies, 2011, this issue) examine the effect of intangible assets on the “uniqueness” of a firm’s earnings. The paper represents an important link between the strategy literature on firm organization and the accounting literature on the drivers of firm performance. This discussion reviews the relevant strategy literature and its link to the accounting literature, discusses various aspects of Brown and Kimbrough, and explores implications of Brown and Kimbrough’s findings.
- Ball, R, Brown, P (1967) Some preliminary findings on the association between the earnings of a firm, its industry, and the economy. Journal of Accounting Research 5: pp. 55-77 CrossRef
- Barney, J (1991) Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage. Journal of Management 17: pp. 99-120 CrossRef
- Barney, J, Wright, M, Ketchen, D (2001) The resource-based view of the firm: Ten years after 1991. Journal of Management 27: pp. 625-641 CrossRef
- Brown, N., & Kimbrough, M. (2011). Intangible investment and the importance of firm-specific factors in the determination of earnings. Review of Accounting Studies (this issue).
- Dickinson, V., & Sommers, G. (2010). Do firms’ competitive efforts lead to future abnormal economic rents? Working paper, University of Mississippi. Available at: http://www.nd.edu/~carecob/April2010Conference/DickinsonPaper.pdf. Accessed April 12 2011.
- Eisenhardt, K, Martin, J (2000) Dynamic capabilities: What are they?. Strategic Management Journal 21: pp. 1,105-1121 CrossRef
- Gong, G., Li, L., & Zhou, L. (2009). Earnings non-synchronicity and voluntary disclosure. Working paper, Pennsylvania State University.
- King, B (1966) Market and industry factors in stock price behavior. Journal of Business 39: pp. 139-190 CrossRef
- Li, F., Lundholm, R., & Minnis, M. (2011). The impact of competitive intensity on the profitabilty of investments and future stock returns. Working paper, The University of British Columbia. Available at: http://www.uta-wac.org/2011/Papers/lundholm_UWAC.pdf. Accessed April 12 2011.
- Litov, L., & Zenger, T. (2010). Do investors value uniqueness in corporate strategy? Evidence from mergers and acquisitions. Working paper, Washington University. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=178779. Accessed April 12 2011.
- Litov, L., Moreton, P., & Zenger, T. (2010). Corporate strategy, analyst coverage, and the uniqueness paradox. Working paper, Washington University. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=136403. Accessed April 12 2011.
- McGahan, A, Porter, M (2002) What do we know about variance in accounting profitability?. Management Science 48: pp. 834-851 CrossRef
- Morck, R, Yeung, B, Yu, W (2000) The information content of stock markets: Why do emerging markets have synchronous price movements?. Journal of Financial Economics 58: pp. 215-260 CrossRef
- Penman, S. (1991). An evaluation of accounting rate-of-return. Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance, Spring, 233–255.
- Piotroski, J, Roulstone, D (2004) The influence of analysts, institutional investors, and insiders on the incorporation of market, industry, and firm-specific information into stock prices. The Accounting Review 79: pp. 1,119-1151 CrossRef
- Rumelt, R (1991) How much does industry matter?. Strategic Management Journal 12: pp. 167-185 CrossRef
- Schmalensee, R (1985) Do markets differ much?. American Economic Review 75: pp. 341-351
- Discussion of “intangible investment and the importance of firm-specific factors in the determination of earnings”
Review of Accounting Studies
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 574-586
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Earnings synchronicity
- Competitive advantage
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA