Discussion of: “Flattening the organization: the effect of organizational reporting structure on budgeting effectiveness”
- Richard A. Young
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper is a discussion of Hannan et al. (Rev Account Stud, 2010), wherein subordinate-participants are endowed with private information, and superior-participants can potentially affect budget requests through their ability to reject them. Their findings are of interest to research on both the design of budgeting systems and span of control. I discuss the relevance of HRT to these literatures and comment on their implementation and experimental design. Also, I offer suggestions for future research, one of which is to explicitly introduce monitoring into experiments on span of control.
- Antle, R., & Eppen, G. (1985). Capital rationing and organizational slack in capital budgeting. Management Science, 31(2), 163–174. CrossRef
- Arya, A., Glover, J., & Young, R. (1996). Capital budgeting in a multidivisional firm. Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Finance, 11(4), 519–534.
- Blount, S., & Bazerman, M. (1996). The inconsistent evaluation of absolute versus comparative payoffs in labor supply and bargaining. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 30, 227–240. CrossRef
- Bohnet, I., & Zeckhauser, R. (2004). Social comparisons in ultimatum bargaining. Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 106(3), 495–510. CrossRef
- Brandts, J., & Charness, G. (2000). Hot vs. cold: Sequential responses and preference stability in experimental games. Experimental Economics, 2, 227–238.
- Brandts, J., & Charness G. (2009). The strategy versus the direct-response method: A survey of experimental comparisons. Working paper, University of California, Santa Barbara. http://www.asr.uab.cat/asr/docs/brandts/strategy_exec.pdf.
- Brosig, J., Weisman, J., & Yang, C. (2003). The hot versus cold effect in a simple bargaining experiment. Experimental Economics, 6, 75–90. CrossRef
- Calvo, G., & Wellisz, S. (1978). Supervision, loss of control, and the optimum size of the firm. Journal of Political Economy, 86(5), 943–952. CrossRef
- Coats, J., Hannan, L., Rankin, F., & Towry, K. (2008). Behavior in ultimatum games with multiple proposers. Working paper. Colorado State University. http://www.goizueta.emory.edu/faculty/KristyTowry/documents/Jebo_4_2007.pdf.
- Demski, J. (2004). Endogenous expectations. The Accounting Review, 79(2), 519–539. CrossRef
- Demski, J. (2008). Managerial uses of accounting information (2nd ed.). New York: Springer.
- Hannan, R., Rankin, F., & Towry, K. (2010). Flattening the organization: The effect of organizational reporting structure on budgeting effectiveness. Review of Accounting Studies (forthcoming).
- Keren, M., & Levhari, D. (1979). The optimum span of control in a pure hierarchy. Management Science, 25(11), 1162–1172. CrossRef
- Marschak, J., & Radner, R. (1972). Economic theory of teams. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
- Rankin, F., Schwartz, S., & Young, R. (2003). Management control using non-binding budgetary announcements. Journal of Management Accounting Research, 15, 75–93. CrossRef
- Rankin, F., Schwartz, S., & Young, R. (2008). The effect of honesty and superior authority on budget proposals. The Accounting Review, (July), 1083-1099.
- Schwartz, S., Spires, E., Wallin, D., & Young, R. (2009a). The behavioral implications of aggregation and delay on budget approval decisions. Working paper, Ohio State University. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1495708.
- Schwartz, S., Spires, E., Wallin, D., & Young, R. (2009b). Unobservable commitment and management control: An experiment. Working paper, Ohio State. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1495230.
- Williamson, O. (1967). Hierarchical control and optimal firm size. The Journal of Political Economy, 75(2), 123–138. CrossRef
- Discussion of: “Flattening the organization: the effect of organizational reporting structure on budgeting effectiveness”
Review of Accounting Studies
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 537-544
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Experimental economics
- Span of control
- Strategy method
- Industry Sectors
- Richard A. Young (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Ohio State University, Fisher Hall 410, 2100 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH, 43210-1144, USA