Psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-5L in the general population of South Korea
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Six hundred of adults were sampled from the general population in South Korea using a multistage stratified quota sampling method. Participants completed the EQ-5D-5L, EQ-5D-3L, and SF-36v2. One hundred participants were resurveyed for reliability evaluation. The ceiling effect, known-groups construct validity, convergent and discriminant validity, and reliability of EQ-5D-5L were evaluated.
A smaller proportion of participants answered ‘no problem’ to all dimensions of EQ-5D-5L (61.2 %) than EQ-5D-3L (65.7 %, p < 0.01), indicating a reduced ceiling effect. Female, elderly, low-educated, and low-income participants reported health problems more frequently, indicating known-groups construct validity. The mobility dimension of EQ-5D-5L was better correlated with the physical component score (|r| = 0.48) than the mental component score (|r| = 0.25) of the SF-36v2, and the anxiety/depression dimension was better correlated with mental component score (|r| = 0.45) than physical component score (|r| = 0.34), indicating convergent and discriminant validity. The intraclass correlation coefficient of EQ-5D-5L index was 0.75.
- Savoia, E., Fantini, M. P., Pandolfi, P. P., Dallolio, L., & Collina, N. (2006). Assessing the construct validity of the Italian version of the EQ-5D: Preliminary results from a cross-sectional study in North Italy. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 4, 47. CrossRef
- Kontodimopoulos, N., Pappa, E., Niakas, D., Yfantopoulos, J., Dimitrakaki, C., & Tountas, Y. (2008). Validity of the EuroQoL (EQ-5D) instrument in a Greek general population. Value Health, 11(7), 1162–1169. CrossRef
- Badia, X., Schiaffino, A., Alonso, J., & Herdman, M. (1998). Using the EuroQoI 5-D in the Catalan general population: Feasibility and construct validity. Quality of Life Research, 7(4), 311–322. CrossRef
- Chang, T. J., Tarn, Y. H., Hsieh, C. L., Liou, W. S., Shaw, J. W., & Chiou, X. G. (2007). Taiwanese version of the EQ-5D: Validation in a representative sample of the Taiwanese population. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, 106(12), 1023–1031. CrossRef
- Shafie, A. A., Hassali, M. A., & Liau, S. Y. (2011). A cross-sectional validation study of EQ-5D among the Malaysian adult population. Quality of Life Research, 20(4), 593–600. CrossRef
- The EuroQol Group. (1990). EuroQol–a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy, 16(3), 199–208.
- Janssen, M. F., Birnie, E., Haagsma, J. A., & Bonsel, G. J. (2008). Comparing the standard EQ-5D three-level system with a five-level version. Value Health, 11(2), 275–284. CrossRef
- Johnson, J. A., & Pickard, A. S. (2000). Comparison of the EQ-5D and SF-12 health surveys in a general population survey in Alberta, Canada. Medicinal Care, 38(1), 115–121. CrossRef
- Sun, S., Chen, J., Johannesson, M., Kind, P., Xu, L., Zhang, Y., et al. (2011). Population health status in China: EQ-5D results, by age, sex and socio-economic status, from the National Health Services Survey 2008. Quality of Life Research, 20(3), 309–320. CrossRef
- Burstrom, K., Johannesson, M., & Diderichsen, F. (2001). Health-related quality of life by disease and socio-economic group in the general population in Sweden. Health Policy, 55(1), 51–69. CrossRef
- Johnson, J. A., & Coons, S. J. (1998). Comparison of the EQ-5D and SF-12 in an adult US sample. Quality of Life Research, 7(2), 155–166. CrossRef
- Herdman, M., Gudex, C., Lloyd, A., Janssen, M., Kind, P., Parkin, D., Bonsel, G., & Badia, X. (2011). Development and preliminary testing of the new five-level version of EQ-5D (EQ-5D-5L). Quality of Life Research, 20(10), 1727–1736.
- Kim, S. H., Kim, H. J., Lee, S. I., & Jo, M. W. (2012). Comparing the psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-3L and EQ-5D-5L in cancer patients in Korea. Quality of Life Research, 21(6), 1065–1073.
- Pickard, A. S., De Leon, M. C., Kohlmann, T., Cella, D., & Rosenbloom, S. (2007). Psychometric comparison of the standard EQ-5D to a 5 level version in cancer patients. Medical Care, 45(3), 259–263. CrossRef
- McHorney, C. A., Ware, J. E., Jr, & Raczek, A. E. (1993). The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): II. Psychometric and clinical tests of validity in measuring physical and mental health constructs. Medical Care, 31(3), 247–263. CrossRef
- Lee, Y. K., Nam, H. S., Chuang, L. H., Kim, K. Y., Yang, H. K., Kwon, I. S., et al. (2009). South Korean time trade-off values for EQ-5D health states: Modeling with observed values for 101 health states. Value Health, 12(8), 1187–1193. CrossRef
- Lubetkin, E. I., Jia, H., Franks, P., & Gold, M. R. (2005). Relationship among sociodemographic factors, clinical conditions, and health-related quality of life: Examining the EQ-5D in the U.S. general population. Quality of Life Research, 14(10), 2187–2196. CrossRef
- Myint, P. K., Luben, R. N., Surtees, P. G., Wainwright, N. W., Bingham, S. A., Wareham, N. J., et al. (2009). Effect of age and sex on the relationship between different socioeconomic indices and self-reported functional health in the EPIC-Norfolk population-based study. Annals of Epidemiology, 19(5), 289–297. CrossRef
- Han, M. A., Ryu, S. Y., Park, J., Kang, M. G., Park, J. K., & Kim, K. S. (2008). Health-related quality of life assessment by the EuroQol-5D in some rural adults. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 41(3), 173–180. CrossRef
- Kind, P., Dolan, P., Gudex, C., & Williams, A. (1998). Variations in population health status: Results from a United Kingdom national questionnaire survey. BMJ, 316(7133), 736–741. CrossRef
- Cohen, J. (1960). A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 20, 37–46. CrossRef
- Shrout, P. E., & Fleiss, J. L. (1979). Intraclass correlations: Uses in assessing rater reliability. Psychological Bulletin, 86(2), 420–428. CrossRef
- Wang, H., Kindig, D. A., & Mullahy, J. (2005). Variation in Chinese population health related quality of life: Results from a EuroQol study in Beijing, China. Quality of Life Research, 14(1), 119–132. CrossRef
- Sen, A. (2002). Health: Perception versus observation. BMJ, 324(7342), 860–861. CrossRef
- Fu, A. Z., & Kattan, M. W. (2006). Racial and ethnic differences in preference-based health status measure. Current Medical Research and Opinion, 22(12), 2439–2448. CrossRef
- Wang, H. M., Patrick, D. L., Edwards, T. C., Skalicky, A. M., Zeng, H. Y., & Gu, W. W. (2012). Validation of the EQ-5D in a general population sample in urban China. Quality of Life Research, 21(1), 155–160.
- Psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-5L in the general population of South Korea
Quality of Life Research
Volume 22, Issue 8 , pp 2245-2253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Helath-related quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Health Screening and Promotion Center, Asan Medical Center, 88, Olympic-ro 43-gil, Songpa-Gu, Seoul, 138-736, Republic of Korea
- 2. Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 88, Olympic-ro 43-gil, Songpa-Gu, Seoul, 138-736, Republic of Korea
- 3. Center for Health Promotion, Samsung Medical Center, 50, Irwon-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, 130-710, Republic of Korea