Psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-5L in the general population of South Korea
- Tae Hyup KimAffiliated withHealth Screening and Promotion Center, Asan Medical Center
- , Min-Woo JoAffiliated withDepartment of Preventive Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine Email author
- , Sang-il LeeAffiliated withDepartment of Preventive Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine
- , Seon Ha KimAffiliated withDepartment of Preventive Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine
- , Son Mi ChungAffiliated withCenter for Health Promotion, Samsung Medical Center
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The EQ-5D-5L was developed to compensate for a high ceiling effect and lack of descriptive richness of the EQ-5D-3L. We evaluated psychometric properties of EQ-5D-5L in the general population.
Six hundred of adults were sampled from the general population in South Korea using a multistage stratified quota sampling method. Participants completed the EQ-5D-5L, EQ-5D-3L, and SF-36v2. One hundred participants were resurveyed for reliability evaluation. The ceiling effect, known-groups construct validity, convergent and discriminant validity, and reliability of EQ-5D-5L were evaluated.
A smaller proportion of participants answered ‘no problem’ to all dimensions of EQ-5D-5L (61.2 %) than EQ-5D-3L (65.7 %, p < 0.01), indicating a reduced ceiling effect. Female, elderly, low-educated, and low-income participants reported health problems more frequently, indicating known-groups construct validity. The mobility dimension of EQ-5D-5L was better correlated with the physical component score (|r| = 0.48) than the mental component score (|r| = 0.25) of the SF-36v2, and the anxiety/depression dimension was better correlated with mental component score (|r| = 0.45) than physical component score (|r| = 0.34), indicating convergent and discriminant validity. The intraclass correlation coefficient of EQ-5D-5L index was 0.75.
The EQ-5D-5L has a smaller ceiling effect than the EQ-5D-3L and is a valid and reliable instrument to measure health-related quality of life in the general population.
KeywordsHelath-related quality of life EQ-5D Psychometrics Validity Reliability SF-36
- Psychometric properties of the EQ-5D-5L in the general population of South Korea
Quality of Life Research
Volume 22, Issue 8 , pp 2245-2253
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Helath-related quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Health Screening and Promotion Center, Asan Medical Center, 88, Olympic-ro 43-gil, Songpa-Gu, Seoul, 138-736, Republic of Korea
- 2. Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 88, Olympic-ro 43-gil, Songpa-Gu, Seoul, 138-736, Republic of Korea
- 3. Center for Health Promotion, Samsung Medical Center, 50, Irwon-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, 130-710, Republic of Korea