The association of responsiveness in oral and general health-related quality of life with patients’ satisfaction of new complete dentures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The objective was to determine the responsiveness properties of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) short-forms and 36-item Short-Form (SF-36) in complete denture treatment, and further to evaluate the association between patients’ satisfaction and improvements in oral and general health-related quality of life (OHRQoL and HRQoL) after fitting of new, complete dentures.
Study data were obtained from the ‘Dentures for the Elders through Public Funding’ study conducted in Kaohsiung County. A total of 224 subjects received denture treatments with 6-month follow-up and pre-/post-treatment interviews by questionnaire. The OHIP and SF-36 were used to measure OHRQoL and HRQoL. In addition, specific questions investigating seven aspects of patients’ satisfaction were used to measure the patients’ perceptions of complete denture success. The responsiveness of all outcome measures and their dimensions were assessed by effect size (ES). Multivariable analysis was used to examine the association between patients’ satisfaction and OHIP/SF-36 while adjusting for demographic characteristics.
There were improvements with regard to the ‘physical pain’ (ES = 0.19) and ‘psychological discomfort’ (ES = 0.42) dimensions of the Taiwanese short-form OHIP (OHIP-14T) after new complete denture treatment, but only improvement in the ‘general health’ (ES = 0.17) dimension in the SF-36 measure. Patients satisfied with ‘comfort’ and ‘ease of cleaning’ of their new dentures were significantly associated with the improvement of the OHIP-49 and OHIP-14T.
This study suggests that denture treatments are associated with improvements of OHRQoL, but not in HRQoL. Furthermore, patients’ satisfaction was significantly associated with responsiveness of OHRQoL but less significantly associated with responsiveness of HRQoL.
- Saito, A, Hosaka, Y, Kikuchi, M, Akamatsu, M, Fukaya, C, Matsumoto, S (2010) Effect of initial periodontal therapy on oral health-related quality of life in patients with periodontitis in Japan. Journal of Periodontology 81: pp. 1001-1009 CrossRef
- Naito, M, Kato, T, Fujii, W, Ozeki, M, Yokoyama, M, Hamajima, N (2010) Effects of dental treatment on the quality of life and activities of daily living in institutionalized elderly in Japan. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 50: pp. 65-68 CrossRef
- Berretin-Felix, G, Nary Filho, H, Padovani, CR, Machado, WM (2008) A longitudinal study of quality of life of elderly with mandibular implant-supported fixed prostheses. Clinical Oral Implants Research 19: pp. 704-708 CrossRef
- John, MT, Slade, GD, Szentpetery, A, Setz, JM (2004) Oral health-related quality of life in patients treated with fixed, removable, and complete dentures 1 month and 6 to 12 months after treatment. The International Journal of Prosthodontics 17: pp. 503-511
- Slade, GD, Spencer, AJ (1994) Development and evaluation of the Oral Health Impact Profile. Community Dental Health 11: pp. 3-11
- Ellis, JS, Elfeky, AF, Moynihan, PJ, Seal, C, Hyland, RM, Thomason, M (2010) The impact of dietary advice on edentulous adults’ denture satisfaction and oral health-related quality of life 6 months after intervention. Clinical Oral Implants Research 21: pp. 386-391 CrossRef
- Allen, PF (2005) Association between diet, social resources and oral health related quality of life in edentulous patients. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 32: pp. 623-628 CrossRef
- Ozhayat, E. B., & Gotfredsen, K. (2012). Effect of treatment with fixed and removable dental prostheses. An oral health-related quality of life study. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 39(1), 28–36.
- Awad, MA, Lund, JP, Shapiro, SH, Locker, D, Klemetti, E, Chehade, A (2003) Oral health status and treatment satisfaction with mandibular implant overdentures and conventional dentures: A randomized clinical trial in a senior population. The International Journal of Prosthodontics 16: pp. 390-396
- Allen, PF, McMillan, AS (2003) A longitudinal study of quality of life outcomes in older adults requesting implant prostheses and complete removable dentures. Clinical Oral Implants Research 14: pp. 173-179 CrossRef
- Heydecke, G, Locker, D, Awad, MA, Lund, JP, Feine, JS (2003) Oral and general health-related quality of life with conventional and implant dentures. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 31: pp. 161-168 CrossRef
- Kuo, H.-C., Chen, J.-H., Wu, J.-H., Chou, T.-M., & Yang, Y.-H. (2011). Application of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) among Taiwanese elderly. Quality of Life Research, 20(10), 1707–1713.
- Slade, GD (1997) Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 25: pp. 284-290 CrossRef
- Allen, F, Locker, D (2002) A modified short version of the oral health impact profile for assessing health-related quality of life in edentulous adults. The International Journal of Prosthodontics 15: pp. 446-450
- Stober, T., Danner, D., Lehmann, F., Seche, A. C., Rammelsberg, P., & Hassel, A. J. (2010). Association between patient satisfaction with complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life: two-year longitudinal assessment. Clinical Oral Investigations, 16(1), 313–318.
- Locker, D, Allen, PF (2002) Developing short-form measures of oral health-related quality of life. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 62: pp. 13-20 CrossRef
- Lu, JF, Tsai, YJ, Tseng, HM (2003) Assessment of health-related quality of life in Taiwan (II): Norming and validation of SF-36 Taiwan version. Journal OF public Health 22: pp. 512-518
- Yang, SC, Kuo, PW, Wang, JD, Lin, MI, Su, S (2006) Development and psychometric properties of the dialysis module of the WHOQOL-BREF Taiwan version. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association 105: pp. 299-309 CrossRef
- Kuo, HC, Yang, YH, Lai, SK, Yap, SF, Ho, PS (2009) The Association between health-related quality of life and prosthetic status and prosthetic needs in Taiwanese adults. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 36: pp. 217-225 CrossRef
- Lee, IC, Shieh, TY, Yang, YH, Tsai, CC, Wang, KH (2007) Individuals’ perception of oral health and its impact on the health-related quality of life. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 34: pp. 79-87 CrossRef
- Forgie, AH, Scott, BJ, Davis, DM (2005) A study to compare the oral health impact profile and satisfaction before and after having replacement complete dentures in England and Scotland. Gerodontology 22: pp. 137-142 CrossRef
- Lee, I. C., Yang, Y. H., & Ho, P. S. (2012). Exploring the quality of life after denture-wearing within elders in Kaohsiung. Gerodontology, 29(2), e1067–1077.
- Hassel, AJ, Rolko, C, Grossmann, AC, Ohlmann, B, Rammelsberg, P (2007) Correlations between self-ratings of denture function and oral health-related quality of life in different age groups. The International Journal of Prosthodontics 20: pp. 242-244
- Awad, MA, Feine, JS (1998) Measuring patient satisfaction with mandibular prostheses. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 26: pp. 400-405 CrossRef
- Turker, SB, Sener, ID, Ozkan, YK (2009) Satisfaction of the complete denture wearers related to various factors. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics 49: pp. e126-e129 CrossRef
- Cohen, J (1992) A power primer. Psychological Bulletin 112: pp. 155-159 CrossRef
- John, MT, Patrick, DL, Slade, GD (2002) The German version of the Oral Health Impact Profile–translation and psychometric properties. European Journal of Oral Sciences 110: pp. 425-433 CrossRef
- Wong, MC, Lo, EC, McMillan, AS (2002) Validation of a Chinese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP). Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 30: pp. 423-430 CrossRef
- Yamazaki, M, Inukai, M, Baba, K, John, MT (2007) Japanese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-J). Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 34: pp. 159-168 CrossRef
- Ellis, JS, Pelekis, ND, Thomason, JM (2007) Conventional rehabilitation of edentulous patients: the impact on oral health-related quality of life and patient satisfaction. Journal of Prosthodontics 16: pp. 37-42 CrossRef
- Souza, RF, Patrocinio, L, Pero, AC, Marra, J, Compagnoni, MA (2007) Reliability and validation of a Brazilian version of the Oral Health Impact Profile for assessing edentulous subjects. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 34: pp. 821-826 CrossRef
- Wong, AH, Cheung, CS, McGrath, C (2007) Developing a short form of Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) for dental aesthetics: OHIP-aesthetic. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 35: pp. 64-72 CrossRef
- Cohen, J (1988) Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences. Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates, Hillside, NJ
- John, MT, Reissmann, DR, Szentpetery, A, Steele, J (2009) An approach to define clinical significance in prosthodontics. [Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov’t]. Journal of Prosthodontics 18: pp. 455-460 CrossRef
- The association of responsiveness in oral and general health-related quality of life with patients’ satisfaction of new complete dentures
Quality of Life Research
Volume 22, Issue 7 , pp 1665-1674
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Complete denture
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Dentistry, College of Dental Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, No. 100 Shih-Chuan 1st Rd, Kaohsiung, 807, Taiwan
- 2. Health Promotion Division, The Health Bureau of Kaohsiung County, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 3. Graduate Institute of Healthcare Administration, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- 4. School of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, No. 100 Shih-Chuan 1st Rd, Kaohsiung, 807, Taiwan
- 5. Division of Statistical Analysis, Department of Clinical Research, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan