Relationship between implantation of missing anterior teeth and oral health-related quality of life
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the present study was to investigate the relationship between anterior teeth implantation and oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL).
Participants completed the Chinese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile-14 (OHIP-14) prior to implantation and at 6 months following crown restoration. Participant demographic information was recorded. Six months following implant crown restoration, participants were asked to self-assess their overall oral health and implant restoration. A Kruskal–Wallis test and Spearman correlation test were used for statistical analyses. A p value <0.05 was considered statistically significant.
A total of 238 patients (133 women and 105 men) completed the study. OHP-14 scores were negatively correlated with self-assessment of both overall oral health (r = −0.788, p < 0.001) and implant restoration (r = −0.739, p < 0.001) after implant crown restoration. There were no significant differences between qualitative reasons for dissatisfaction or between quantity of reasons given for dissatisfaction (p = 0.845). Six months following crown restoration, the overall OHIP-14 scores and the four common factors (disability, psychological discomfort, functional limitation, pain, and discomfort) decreased significantly compared to preimplantation scores (p < 0.001). From the paired differences between genders before and after implantation, significant differences were observed in overall quality (p = 0.044) and disability (p = 0.029). Patients with a higher education level scored significantly higher on overall quality of life (p = 0.031) and psychological discomfort (p = 0.002) following crown restoration.
Our findings indicate that the implantation of anterior missing teeth could significantly improve patient OHRQoL. Gender and education level were shown to affect implantation results.
- Papaioannou, W., Oulis, C. J., Latsou, D., & Yfantopoulos, J. (2011). Oral health-related quality of life of Greek adults: A cross-sectional study. International Journal of Dentistry, 2011, 360292. CrossRef
- Al-Omiri, M. K., Karasneh, J. A., Lynch, E., Lamey, P. J., & Clifford, T. J. (2009). Impacts of missing upper anterior teeth on daily living. International Dental Journal, 59, 127–132.
- Gerritsen, A. E., Allen, P. F., Witter, D. J., Bronkhorst, E. M., & Creugers, N. H. (2010). Tooth loss and oral health-related quality of life: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Health and quality of life outcomes, 8, 126. CrossRef
- Tsakos, G., Steele, J. G., Marcenes, W., Walls, A. W., & Sheiham, A. (2006). Clinical correlates of oral health-related quality of life: Evidence from a national sample of British older people. European Journal of Oral Sciences, 114, 391–395. CrossRef
- Pjetursson, B. E., & Lang, N. P. (2008). Prosthetic treatment planning on the basis of scientific evidence. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 35, 72–79. CrossRef
- Chowdhary, R., & Chowdhary, N. (2011). Need of implant dentistry at undergraduate dental curriculum in Indian dental colleges. Indian Journal of Dental Research, 22, 436–439. CrossRef
- Cosyn, J., Eghbali, A., De Bruyn, H., Collys, K., Cleymaet, R., & De Rouck, T. (2011). Immediate single-tooth implants in the anterior maxilla: 3-year results of a case series on hard and soft tissue response and aesthetics. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 38, 746–753. CrossRef
- Pjetursson, B. E., Zwahlen, M., & Lang, N. P. (2012). Quality of reporting of clinical studies to assess and compare performance of implant-supported restorations. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 39, 139–159. CrossRef
- Barreto, M., Francischone, C. E., & Filho, H. N. (2008). Two prosthetic crowns supported by a single implant: an esthetic alternative for restoring the anterior maxilla. Quintessence International, 39, 717–725.
- Rodd, H. D., Marshman, Z., Porritt, J., Bradbury, J., & Baker, S. R. (2012). Psychosocial predictors of children’s oral health-related quality of life during transition to secondary school. Quality of Life Research, 21, 707–716. CrossRef
- John, M. T. (2007). Exploring dimensions of oral health-related quality of life using experts’ opinions. Quality of Life Research, 16, 697–704. CrossRef
- Karacayli, U., Mumcu, G., Cimilli, H., Sisman, N., Sur, H., & Gunaydin, Y. (2011). The effects of chronic pain on oral health related quality of life in patients with anterior disc displacement with reduction. Community Dental Health, 28, 211–215.
- Ponsi, J., Lahti, S., Rissanen, H., & Oikarinen, K. (2011). Change in subjective oral health after single dental implant treatment. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, 26, 571–577.
- Bernabe, E., & Flores-Mir, C. (2006). Orthodontic treatment need in Peruvian young adults evaluated through dental aesthetic index. Angle Orthodontist, 76, 417–421.
- Xin, W. N., & Ling, J. Q. (2006). Validation of a Chinese version of the oral health impact profile-14. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi, 41, 242–245.
- Shearer, D. M., Thomson, W. M., Broadbent, J. M., & Poulton, R. (2011). Does maternal oral health predict child oral health-related quality of life in adulthood? Health and quality of life outcomes, 9, 50. CrossRef
- Buunk-Werkhoven, Y. A., Verheggen-Udding, E. L., & van den Heuvel, J. L. (2011). Oral health related quality of life among Dutch forensic psychiatric patients. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd, 118, 273–275. CrossRef
- Bandéca, M. C., Nadalin, M. R., Calixto, L. R., Saad, J. R., & da Silva, S. R. (2011). Correlation between oral health perception and clinical factors in a Brazilian community. Community Dental Health, 28, 64–68.
- Ikebe, K., Matsuda, K., Morii, K., Wada, M., Hazeyama, T., Nokubi, T., et al. (2007). Impact of dry mouth and hyposalivation on oral health-related quality of life of elderly Japanese. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontics, 103, 216–222. CrossRef
- Torres, B. L., Costa, F. O., Modena, C. M., Cota, L. O., Côrtes, M. I., & Seraidarian, P. I. (2011). Association between personality traits and quality of life in patients treated with conventional mandibular dentures or implant-supported overdentures. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 38, 454–461. CrossRef
- Portney, L. G., & Watkins, M. P. (2000). Foundations of clinical research. Applications to practice (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.
- Cohen, J. (1998). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale: L. Erlbaum Associates.
- Sheng-li, A. N. (2006). Serial lectures of statistics-no. 7: The evaluation of scale. Journal of Nursing, 13, 94–95.
- Dupont, W. D., & Plummer, W. D., Jr. (1990). Power and sample size calculations. A review and computer program. Controlled Clinical Trials, 11, 116–128. CrossRef
- Towfighi, P. P., Brunsvold, M. A., Storey, A. T., Arnold, R. M., Willman, D. E., & McMahan, C. A. (1997). Pathologic migration of anterior teeth in patients with moderate to severe periodontitis. Journal of Periodontology, 68, 967–972. CrossRef
- Ma, P. S., & Brudvik, J. S. (2008). Managing the maxillary partially edentulous patient with extensive anterior tooth loss and advanced periodontal disease using a removable partial denture: a clinical report. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 100, 259–263. CrossRef
- Okamoto, N., Morikawa, M., Okamoto, K., Habu, N., Iwamoto, J., Tomioka, K., et al. (2010). Relationship of tooth loss to mild memory impairment and cognitive impairment: Findings from the Fujiwara-kyo study. Behavioral and Brain Functions, 6, 77. CrossRef
- Tatum, R. C., Tatum, B. M., Marfatia-Rege, A. T., & Amant, K. S. (1989). Immediate esthetic treatment for anterior teeth: Report of cases. Journal of the American Dental Association, 118, 575–577.
- Garoushi, S., Lassila, L., & Vallittu, P. K. (2011). Resin-bonded fiber-reinforced composite for direct replacement of missing anterior teeth: A clinical report. International Journal of Dentistry, 2011, 845420. CrossRef
- Peñarrocha-Oltra, D., Peñarrocha-Diago, M., Balaguer-Martínez, J., Ata-Ali, J., & Peñarrocha-Diago, M. (2011). Full-arch fixed prosthesis supported by four implants in patients with recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontics, 112, e4–e10.
- Kapur, A., Chawla, H. S., Goyal, A., & Gaube, K. (2005). An esthetic point of view in very young children. The Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, 30, 99–103.
- Mericske-Stern, R. (2008). Prosthetic considerations. Australian Dental Journal, 53, S49–S59. CrossRef
- Kiyak, H. A., Beach, B. H., Worthington, P., Taylor, T., Bolender, C., & Evans, J. (1990). Psychological impact of osseointegrated dental implants. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, 5, 61–69.
- Kent, G., & Johns, R. (1994). Effects of osseointegrated implants on psychological and social well-being: A comparison with replacement removable prostheses. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, 9, 103–106.
- Rusanen, J., Lahti, S., Tolvanen, M., & Pirttiniemi, P. (2010). Quality of life in patients with severe malocclusion before treatment. European Journal of Orthodontics, 32, 43–48. CrossRef
- Mc Grath, C., & Bedi, R. (2000). Gender variations in the social impact of oral health. Journal of the Irish Dental Association, 46, 87–91.
- Lahti, S., Suominen-Taipale, L., & Hausen, H. (2008). Oral health impacts among adults in Finland: Competing effects of age, number of teeth, and removable dentures. European Journal of Oral Sciences, 116, 260–266. CrossRef
- Zini, A., Vered, Y., & Sgan-Cohen, H. D. (2011). The association between demographic and oral health-related quality of life factors and dental care attendance among underprivileged older people. Australasian Journal on Ageing, 30, 70–76. CrossRef
- Relationship between implantation of missing anterior teeth and oral health-related quality of life
Quality of Life Research
Volume 22, Issue 7 , pp 1613-1620
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Teeth implantation
- Oral health-related quality of life
- Anterior teeth missing
- Education level
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Stomatology, The General Hospital of Jinan Military Region of PLA, 25 Shifan Road, Tianqiao District, Jinan, 250031, China
- 2. Institute of Stomatology, The General Hospital of PLA, 28 Fuxing Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100853, China