Race and gender associations between obesity and nine health-related quality-of-life measures
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To assess how health-related quality of life (HRQoL) varies by body mass index (BMI) category among gender and racial subgroups using nine HRQoL measures.
Among 3,710 US adults, we evaluated self-reported height, weight, and HRQoL that was measured by six indexes (EQ-5D; HUI2; HUI3; SF-6D; QWB-SA; HALex) and three summary measures (theta; PCS; MCS). Mean HRQoL was estimated by weighted regression for normal, overweight, and obese subgroups (BMI: 18.5–24.9 kg/m2; 25–29.9; and 30–50).
HRQoL was significantly lower (P < 0.0001) with increasing BMI category except for MCS. Obese individuals were 5.3 units lower on PCS (1–100 scale) and 0.05–0.11 lower on the HRQoL indexes (0–1 scale) than those with normal weight. MCS scores were significantly lower for obese than normal-weight among women (P = 0.04) but not men (P = 0.11). Overweight blacks had higher HRQoL than blacks in other BMI categories (P = 0.033).
Six commonly used HRQoL indexes and two of three health status summary measures indicated lower HRQoL with obesity and overweight than with normal BMI, but the degree of decrement varied by index. The association appeared driven primarily by physical health, although mental health also played a role among women. Counter to hypotheses, blacks may have highest HRQoL when overweight.
- Ogden, C., Carroll, M., McDowell, M., & Flegal, K. (2007). Obesity among adults in the United States–no change since 2003–2004. NCHS data brief no 1. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics.
- Alley, D. E., & Chang, V. W. (2007). The changing relationship of obesity and disability, 1988–2004. Journal of the American Medical Association, 298(17), 2020–2027. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Physical Activity and Obesity, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion Overweight and Obesity Data and Statistics [Internet]. (2009). Accessed May 7, 2009, at: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/index.html.
- Hedley, A. A., Ogden, C. L., Johnson, C. L., Carroll, M. D., Curtin, L. R., & Flegal, K. M. (2004). Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999–2002. Journal of the American Medical Association, 291(23), 2847–2850. CrossRef
- Flegal, K. M., Graubard, B. I., Williamson, D. F., & Gail, M. H. (2007). Cause-specific excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity. Journal of the American Medical Association, 298(17), 2028–2037. CrossRef
- Orpana, H. M., Berthelot, J. M., Kaplan, M. S., Feeny, D. H., McFarland, B., & Ross, N. A. (2010). BMI and mortality: Results from a national longitudinal study of Canadian adults. Obesity (Silver Spring), 18(1), 214–218. CrossRef
- Doll, H. A., Petersen, S. E., & Stewart-Brown, S. L. (2000). Obesity and physical and emotional well-being: Associations between body mass index, chronic illness, and the physical and mental components of the SF-36 questionnaire. Obesity Research, 8(2), 160–170. CrossRef
- Fontaine, K. R., Redden, D. T., Wang, C., Westfall, A. O., & Allison, D. B. (2003). Years of life lost due to obesity. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289(2), 187–193. CrossRef
- Ford, E. S., Moriarty, D. G., Zack, M. M., Mokdad, A. H., & Chapman, D. P. (2001). Self-reported body mass index and health-related quality of life: Findings from the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. Obesity Research, 9(1), 21–31. CrossRef
- Groessl, E. J., Kaplan, R. M., Barrett-Connor, E., & Ganiats, T. G. (2004). Body mass index and quality of well-being in a community of older adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 26(2), 126–129. CrossRef
- Jia, H., & Lubetkin, E. I. (2005). The impact of obesity on health-related quality-of-life in the general adult US population. Journal of Public Health (Oxford), 27(2), 156–164. CrossRef
- Katz, D. A., McHorney, C. A., & Atkinson, R. L. (2000). Impact of obesity on health-related quality of life in patients with chronic illness. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 15(11), 789–796. CrossRef
- Meunnig, P., Lubetkin, E. I., Jai, H., & Franks, P. (2006). Gender and the burden of disease attributable to obesity. American Journal of Public Health, 96(9), 1662–1668. CrossRef
- Sach, T. H., Barton, G. R., Doherty, M., Muir, K. R., Jenkinson, C., & Avery, A. J. (2007). The relationship between body mass index and health-related quality of life: Comparing the EQ-5D, EuroQol VAS and SF-6D. International Journal of Obesity, 31(1), 189–196. CrossRef
- Yan, L. L., Daviglus, M. L., Liu, K., et al. (2004). BMI and health-related quality of life in adults 65 years and older. Obesity Research, 12(1), 69–76. CrossRef
- Fryback, D. G., Dunham, N. C., Palta, M., et al. (2007). US norms for six generic health-related quality-of-life indexes from the National Health Measurement study. Medical Care, 45(12), 1162–1170. CrossRef
- Brazier, J., Roberts, J., & Deverill, M. (2002). The estimation of a preference-based measure of health from the SF-36. Journal of Health Economics, 21(2), 271–292. CrossRef
- Brooks, R. (1996). EuroQol: the current state of play. Health Policy, 37(1), 53–72. CrossRef
- Brooks, R., Rabin, R., & de Charro, F. (2003). The measurement and valuation of health status using EQ-5D: A European perspective. Evidence from the EuroQol BIOMED research program. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Feeny, D., Furlong, W., Boyle, M., & Torrance, G. W. (1995). Multi-attribute health status classification systems. Health utilities index. Pharmacoeconomics, 7(6), 490–502. CrossRef
- Torrance, G. W., Feeny, D. H., Furlong, W. J., Barr, R. D., Zhang, Y., & Wang, Q. (1996). Multiattribute utility function for a comprehensive health status classification system. Health utilities index mark 2. Medical Care, 34(7), 702–722. CrossRef
- Feeny, D., Furlong, W., Torrance, G. W., et al. (2002). Multiattribute and single-attribute utility functions for the health utilities index mark 3 system. Medical Care, 40(2), 113–128. CrossRef
- Kaplan, R. M., Ganiats, T. G., Sieber, W. J., & Anderson, J. P. (1998). The quality of well-being scale: Critical similarities and differences with SF-36. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 10(6), 509–520. CrossRef
- Erickson, P. (1998). Evaluation of a population-based measure of quality of life: The health and activity limitation index (HALex). Quality Life Research, 7(2), 101–114. CrossRef
- Fryback, D., Palta, M., Cherepanov, D., Bolt, D., & Kim, J.-S. (2010). Comparison of five health-related quality-of-life indexes using item response theory analysis. Medical Decision Making, 30(1), 5–15. CrossRef
- Simon, G. E., Revicki, D. A., Grothaus, L., & Vonkorff, M. (1998). SF-36 summary scores: Are physical and mental health truly distinct? Medical Care, 36(4), 567–572. CrossRef
- Ware, J. E., Jr, Kosinski, M., Bayliss, McHorney, C. A., Rogers, W. H., & Raczek, A. (1995). Comparison of methods for the scoring and statistical analysis of SF-36 health profile and summary measures: Summary of results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Medical Care, 33(4 Suppl), AS264–AS279.
- Brooks, R. G., Jendteg, S., Lindgren, B., Persson, U., & Bjork, S. (1991). EuroQol: Health-related quality of life measurement: Results of the Swedish questionnaire exercise. Health Policy, 18(1), 37–48. CrossRef
- Badia, X., Herdman, M., & Kind, P. (1998). The influence of ill-health experience on the valuation of health. Pharmacoeconomics, 13(6), 687–696. CrossRef
- Badia, X., Schiaffino, A., Alonso, J., & Herdman, M. (1998). Using the EuroQoI 5-D in the Catalan general population: Feasibility and construct validity. Quality of Life Research, 7(4), 311–322. CrossRef
- Rabin, R., & de Charro, F. (2001). EQ-5D: A measure of health status from the EuroQol Group. Annals of Medicine, 33(5), 337–343. CrossRef
- Shaw, J. W., Johnson, J. A., & Coons, S. J. (2005). US valuation of the EQ-5D health states: development and testing of the D1 valuation model. Medical Care, 43(3), 203–220. CrossRef
- Ware, J. E., Kosinski, M., & Keller, S. D. (1994). SF-36 physical and mental health summary scales: A user’s manual. Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center.
- Flegal, K. M., Graubard, B. I., Williamson, D. F., & Gail, M. H. (2005). Excess deaths associated with underweight, overweight, and obesity. Journal of the American Medical Association, 293(15), 1861–1867. CrossRef
- Allender, S., & Rayner, M. (2007). The burden of overweight and obesity-related ill health in the UK. Obesity Review, 8(5), 467–473. CrossRef
- Daviglus, M. L., Liu, K., Yan, L. L., et al. (2003). Body mass index in middle age and health-related quality of life in older age: The Chicago heart association detection project in industry study. Archives of Internal Medicine, 163(20), 2448–2455. CrossRef
- Fine, J. T., Colditz, G. A., Coakley, E. H., et al. (1999). A prospective study of weight change and health-related quality of life in women. Journal of the American Medical Association, 282(22), 2136–2142. CrossRef
- Han, T. S., Tijhuis, M. A., Lean, M. E., & Seidell, J. C. (1998). Quality of life in relation to overweight and body fat distribution. American Journal of Public Health, 88(12), 1814–1820. CrossRef
- Lean, M. E., Han, T. S., & Seidell, J. C. (1999). Impairment of health and quality of life using new US federal guidelines for the identification of obesity. Archives of Internal Medicine, 159(8), 837–843. CrossRef
- Gold, M. R., Siegel, J. E., Russell, L. B., & Weinstein, M. C. (Eds.). (1996). Cost-effectiveness in health and medicine. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Wang, Y., & Beydoun, M. A. (2007). The obesity epidemic in the United States—gender, age, socioeconomic, racial/ethnic, and geographic characteristics: A systematic review and meta-regression analysis. Epidemiologic Reviews, 29, 6–28. CrossRef
- Ogden, C. L., Carroll, M. D., Curtin, L. R., McDowell, M. A., Tabak, C. J., & Flegal, K. M. (2006). Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999–2004. Journal of the American Medical Association, 295(13), 1549–1555. CrossRef
- Larsson, U., Karlsson, J., & Sullivan, M. (2002). Impact of overweight and obesity on health-related quality of life–a Swedish population study. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, 26(3), 417–424. CrossRef
- Hopman, W. M., Berger, C., Joseph, L., Barr, S. I., Gao, Y., Prior, J. C., et al. (2007). CaMos Research Group. The association between body mass index and health-related quality of life: Data from CaMos, a stratified population study. Quality Life Research, 6(10), 1595–1603. CrossRef
- Jorm, A. F., Korten, A. E., Christensen, H., Jacomb, P. A., Rodgers, B., & Parslow, R. A. (2003). Association of obesity with anxiety, depression and emotional well-being: A community survey. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 27(4), 434–440. CrossRef
- Finkelstein, E. A., Brown, D. S., Wrage, L. A., Allaire, B. T., & Hoerger, T. J. (2010). Individual and aggregate years-of-life-lost associated with overweight and obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring), 18(2), 333–339. CrossRef
- Peeters, A., Barendregt, J. J., Willekens, F., Mackenbach, J. P., Al Mamun, A., & Bonneux, L. (2003). Obesity in adulthood and its consequences for life expectancy: A life-table analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine, 138(1), 24–32.
- Stevens, J. (2000). Obesity and mortality in Africans-Americans. Nutrition Reviews, 58(11), 346–353. CrossRef
- Kaplan, R. M. (2005). The minimally clinically important difference in generic utility-based measures. Journal of Chronic obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 2(1), 91–97. CrossRef
- Lean, M. E., Han, T. S., & Seidell, J. C. (1998). Impairment of health and quality of life in people with large waist circumference. Lancet, 351(9106), 853–856. CrossRef
- Sullivan, P. W., Ghushchyan, V. H., & Ben-Joseph, R. (2008). The impact of obesity on diabetes, hyperlipidemia and hypertension in the United States. Quality Life Research, 17(8), 1063–1071. CrossRef
- Farivar, S. S., Cunningham, W. E., & Hays, R. D. (2007). Correlated physical and mental health summary scores for the SF-36 and SF-12 Health Survey, V.1. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 5, 54. CrossRef
- Palta, M., Prineas, R. J., Berman, R., & Hannan, P. (1982). Comparison of self-reported and measured height and weight. American Journal of Epidemiology, 115(2), 223–230.
- Connor Gorber, S., Shields, M., Tremblay, M. S., & McDowell, I. (2008). The feasibility of establishing correction factors to adjust self-reported estimates of obesity. Health Report, 19(3), 71–82.
- Pereira C. C. A, Palta M., Mullahy J., Fryback D. G. Race and preference-based health-related quality of life measures in the United States. Quality of Life Research. (In press).
- Race and gender associations between obesity and nine health-related quality-of-life measures
Quality of Life Research
Volume 20, Issue 5 , pp 665-674
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Body mass index
- Health-related quality of life
- Health status
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Partnership for Health Analytic Research, LLC, 280 South Beverly Drive #404, Beverly Hills, CA, 90212, USA
- 3. Department of Population Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
- 2. RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA, USA
- 4. Department of Health Services, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 5. Center for Health Research, Kaiser Permanente Northwest Region, Portland, OR, USA
- 6. Health Utilities Incorporated, Dundas, ON, Canada