Quality of life among caregivers of patients with eating disorders
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To analyse health-related quality of life (HRQoL) and its associated social and clinical variables among a sample of caregivers of patients with eating disorders (ED).
It is a cross-sectional study involving 145 patients receiving outpatient treatment for an ED and 246 related caregivers. ED patients completed two self-administered questionnaires: the Health-Related Quality of Life in ED-short form and Eating Attitudes Test-26 questionnaires. Caregivers completed four self-administered questionnaires: the Short Form-12, Involvement Evaluation Questionnaire-EU version, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and Anorectic Behaviour Observation Scale. Descriptive statistics, ANOVA, Chi-square and Fisher’s exact test were applied to examine the inter-variable relationships.
Caregivers had low scores on the mental health component of the SF-12 (P < 0.05). Low SF-12 scores were associated with a greater perceived care burden in the stress domains in interpersonal relationships (beta = −0.360, SE = 0.162, P = 0.029) and the need to urge their sick relatives to undertake healthful activities (beta = −0.340, SE = 0.155, P = 0.031).
Low scores in the mental health domain of HRQoL among caregivers of patients with EDs indicate the need to pay particular attention to caregivers’ emotional status, especially among mothers and partners.
- Baronet, A. (1999). Factors associated with caregiver burden in mental illness: A critical review of the research literature. Clinical Psychology Review, 19, 819–841. CrossRef
- Hunt, C. K. (2003). Concepts in caregiver research. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 35, 27–32. CrossRef
- Schene, A. H. (1990). Objective and subjective dimensions of family burden. Towards an integrative framework for research. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 25, 289–297. CrossRef
- Szmukler, G. I., Burgess, P., Herrman, H., Benson, A., Colusa, S., & Bloch, S. (1996). Caring for relatives with a serious mental illness: The development of the experience of caregiving inventory. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 31, 137–148. CrossRef
- Steinhausen, H. C. (2009). Outcome of eating disorders. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 18(1), 225–242. CrossRef
- Zipfel, S., Specht, T., & Herzog, W. (1998). Medical complications of eating disorders. In H. W. Hoek, J. Treasure, & M. Katzman (Eds.), Neurobiology in the treatment of eating disorders (pp. 457–484). Chichester, England: Wiley.
- Nielsen, S., & Bará-Carril, N. (2003). Family, burden of care and social consequences. In J. Treasure, U. Schmidt, & E. Van Furth (Eds.), Handbook of eating disorders, 2 ed (pp. 191–206). New York: Wiley.
- Treasure, J. (2010). How do families cope when a relative has an eating disorder? In J. Treasure, U. Schmidt, & P. MacDonald (Eds.), The clinician’s guide to collaborative caring in eating disorders. The New Maudsley method (pp. 145–159). East Sussex: Routledge.
- Revicki, D. A., Osoba, D., Fairclough, D., Barofsky, I., Berzon, R., Leidy, N. K., et al. (2000). Recommendations on health-related quality of life research to support labeling and promotional claims in the United States. Quality of Life Research, 9, 887–900. CrossRef
- Markowitz, J. S., Gutterman, E. M., Sadik, K., & Papadopoulos, G. (2003). Health-related quality of life for caregivers of patients with Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Disease and Associated Disorders, 17(4), 209–214. CrossRef
- Foldemo, A., Gullberg, M., Ek, A. C., & Bogren, L. (2005). Quality of life and burden in parents of outpatients with schizophrenia. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 40(2), 133–138. CrossRef
- Stengler-Wenzke, K., Kroll, M., Matschinger, H., & Angermeyer, M. C. (2006). Quality of life of relatives of patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 47, 523–527. CrossRef
- Reinares, M., Vieta, E., Colom, F., Martínez-Arán, A., Torrent, C., Comes, M., et al. (2006). What really matters to bipolar patients’ caregivers: Sources of family burden. Journal of Affective Disorders, 94, 157–163. CrossRef
- Spliethoff-Kamminga, N. G. A., Zwinderman, A. H., Springer, M. P., & Roos, R. A. C. (2003). A disease-specific psychosocial questionnaire for Parkinson’s disease caregivers. Journal of Neurology, 250, 1162–1168. CrossRef
- De la Rie, S., Van Furth, E., De Koning, A., Noordenbos, G., & Donker, M. (2005). The quality of life of family caregivers of eating disorder patients. Eating Disorders, 13, 345–351. CrossRef
- Kyriacou, O., Treasure, J., & Schmidt, U. (2008). Expressed emotion in eating disorders assessed via self-report: An examination of factors associated with expressed emotion in carers of people with anorexia nervosa in comparison to control families. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 41(1), 37–46. CrossRef
- Dimitropoulos, G., Klopfer, K., Lazar, L., & Schacter, R. (2009). Caring for a sibling with anorexia nervosa: A qualitative study. European Eating Disorder Review, 17(5), 350–365. CrossRef
- Perkins, S., Winn, S., Murray, J., Murphy, R., & Schmidt, U. (2004). A qualitative study of the experience of caring for a person with bulimia nervosa. Part 1: The emotional impact of caring. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 36(3), 256–268. CrossRef
- Kyriacou, O., Treasure, J., & Raenker, S. (2010). The influence and importance of parents in care and treatment of an eating disorder. The Clinician`s guide to collaborative caring in eating disorders. The New Maudsley Method (pp. 241–249). East Sussex: Routledge.
- Murphy, F., Troop, N. A., & Treasure, J. L. (2000). Differential environmental factors in anorexia nervosa: A sibling pair study. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 39(2), 193–203. CrossRef
- Santonastaso, P., Saccon, D., & Favaro, A. (1997). Burden and psychiatric symptoms on key relatives of patients with eating disorders: A preliminary study. Eating & Weight Disorders, 2(1), 44–48.
- van Wijngaarden, B., Schene, A. H., & Koeter, M. W. (2004). Family caregiving in depression: Impact on caregivers’ daily life, distress, and help seeking. Journal of Affective Disorders, 81(3), 211–222. CrossRef
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Perlick, D. A., Hohenstein, J. M., Clarkin, J. F., Kaczynski, R., & Rosenheck, R. A. (2005). Use of mental health and primary care services by caregivers of patients with bipolar disorder: A preliminary study. Bipolar Disorders, 7(2), 126–135. CrossRef
- Gandek, B., Aaronson, N. K., Ware, J. E., Apolone, G., Bjorner, J. B., Brazier, J. E., et al. (1998). Cross-validation of item selection and scoring for the SF-12 Health Survey in nine countries: Results from the IQOLA Project. International quality of life assessment. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 51, 1171–1178. CrossRef
- Van Wijngaarden, B., Schene, A. H., Koeter, M., Vazquez-Barquero, J. L., Knudsen, H. C., Lasalvia, A., et al. (2000). Caregiving in schizophrenia: development, internal consistency and reliability of the Involvement Evaluation Questionnaire–European Version. EPSILON Study 4. European Psychiatric Services: Inputs Linked to Outcome Domains and Needs. British Journal of Psychiatry, Supplement, 39, 21–27. CrossRef
- Zigmond, A. S., & Snaith, R. P. (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 67, 361–370. CrossRef
- Herrmann, C. (1997). International experiences with the hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale: A review of validation data and clinical results. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 42, 17–41. CrossRef
- Quintana, J. M., Padierna, A., Esteban, C., Arostegui, I., Bilbao, A., & Ruiz, I. (2003). Evaluation of the psychometric characteristics of the Spanish version of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 107, 216–221. CrossRef
- Vandereycken, W. (1992). Validity and reliability of the anorectic behavior observation scale for parents. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 85(2), 163–166. CrossRef
- Instituto Nacional de la Salud. (1995). Protocolo de trastornos del comportamiento alimentario. Instituto Nacional de la Salud, editor (pp. 125–126). Madrid: Insalud.
- Garner, D. M., Olmsted, M. P., Bohr, Y., & Garfinkel, P. E. (1982). The eating attitudes test: Psychometric features and clinical correlates. Psychological Medicine, 12(4), 871–878. CrossRef
- Castro, J., Toro, J., Salamero, M., & Guimera, E. (1991). The eating attitudes test: Validation of the Spanish version. Psychogical Assessment, 7, 175–190.
- Las Hayas, C., Quintana, J. M., Padierna, J. A., Bilbao, A., Munoz, P., & Cook, F. E. (2007). Health-related quality of life for eating disorders questionnaire version-2 was responsive 1-year after initial assessment. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 60(8), 825–833. CrossRef
- Las Hayas, C., Quintana, J. M., Padierna, J. A., Bilbao, A., & Munoz, P. (2010). Use of rasch methodology to develop a short version of the Health Related Quality of Life for Eating Disorders questionnaire: A prospective study. Health and Quality of life Outcomes, 8, 29. CrossRef
- Guy, W. (1976). Early clinical drug evaluation (ECDEU) assessment manual. Rockville, MD: National Institute Mental Health.
- Kamerling, V., & Smith, G. (2010). The carers’ perspective. In J. Treasure, U. Schmidt, & P. MacDonald (Eds.), The clinician’s guide to collaborative caring in eating disorders. The New Maudsley method (pp. 20–29). East Sussex: Routledge.
- Alonso, J., Angermeyer, M. C., Bernert, S., Bruffaerts, R., Brugha, T. S., Bryson, H., et al. (2004). Prevalence of mental disorders in Europe: Results from the European study of the epidemiology of mental disorders (ESEMeD) project. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica Suppl, 420, 21–27.
- Whitney, J., Haigh, R., Weinman, J., & Treasure, J. (2007). Caring for people with eating disorders: Factors associated with psychological distress and negative caregiving appraisals in carers of people with eating disorders. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 46(4), 413–428. CrossRef
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal and coping. New York: Springer.
- Caqueo-Urizar, A., Gutiérrez-Maldonado, J., & Miranda-Castillo, C. (2009). Quality of life in caregivers of patients with schizophrenia: A literature review. Health Quality of Life Outcomes, 7, 84. CrossRef
- Etters, L., Goodall, D., & Harrison, B. E. (2008). Caregiver burden among dementia patient caregivers: A review of the literature. Journal of the American Academice Nurse Practicioners, 20(8), 423–428. CrossRef
- Caqueo-Urizar, A., & Gutiérrez-Maldonado, J. (2006). Burden of care in families of patients with schizophrenia. Quality of Life Research, 15, 719–724. CrossRef
- Quality of life among caregivers of patients with eating disorders
Quality of Life Research
Volume 20, Issue 9 , pp 1359-1369
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Eating disorders
- Health-related quality of life
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Unit, Galdakao-Usansolo Hospital, 9th Floor, Barrio Labeaga, s/n, Galdakao, 48960, Bizkaia, Spain
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, Galdakao-Usansolo Hospital, Barrio Labeaga s/n, Galdakao, 48960, Bizkaia, Spain
- 3. Research Unit, Galdakao-Usansolo Hospital—CIBER, Epidemiology and Public Health (CIBERESP), Barrio Labeaga s/n, Galdakao, 48960, Bizkaia, Spain
- 4. Department of Psychiatry, Ortuella Mental Health Center, Avenida del Minero no 1, Ortuella, 48530, Bizkaia, Spain