Diabetes and its impact on health-related quality of life: a life table analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To investigate the health burden of diabetes and determine its impact on health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in a population with a high prevalence of chronic conditions.
A representative sample of the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) was used to estimate prevalence of diabetes and mean health utility index (HUI), a utility-based measure of HRQOL. Diabetes-deleted life expectancy (LE) and health-adjusted life expectancy (HALE) were derived to measure HRQOL.
Diabetic individuals comprised 6.8% of the sample and accounted for 14% of total deaths from 2001 to 2005. Life Expectancy at age 15 was 61.3 years for men and 66.7 years for women, of which 53.0 and 57.0 years, respectively, were spent with perfect health (86.4 and 85.5%). Eliminating diabetes would extend both the overall LE and HALE for men by 1.3 and 1.4 years, and women by 2.0 and 1.7 years, respectively. People with diabetes had a significantly lower HRQOL than people without diabetes (mean HUI: 0.78 vs. 0.88, P < 0.01).
The burden of illness from diabetes in NL is considerable. Using cause-eliminated LE and HALE provides a robust approach for assessing HRQOL that may have important implications for diabetes surveillance, prevention, and management strategies.
- Public Health Agency of Canada. (2008). Diabetes in Canada: Highlights from the national diabetes surveillance system, 2004–2005. Ottawa: Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Canadian Diabetes Association. (2008). http://www.diabetes.ca. Accessed 25 Dec 2008.
- Health Canada. (2003). Responding to the challenge of diabetes in Canada: First report of the national diabetes surveillance system. Ottawa: Health Canada.
- Canadian Institute of Health Information. (2004). Improving the health of Canadians 2004. Ottawa: CIHI.
- Statistics Canada. (2005). Smoking and diabetes care in Canada: Results from the CCHS cycle 3.1, 2005. Catalogue 82-621-XIE-No. 002.
- Narayan, K. M. V., Bowman, B. A., & Engelgau, M. E. (2001). Prevention of type 2 diabetes. New study from Finland shows that lifestyle changes can be made to work. British Medical Journal, 323, 63–64. CrossRef
- Hakkinen, A., Kukka, A., et al. (2008). Health-related quality of life and physical activity in persons at high risk for type 2 diabetes. Disability and Rehabilitation, 25, 1–7.
- Matza, L. S., Boye, K. S., Yurgin, N., et al. (2007). Utilities and disutilities for type 2 diabetes treatment-related attributes. Quality of Life Research, 16, 1251–1265. CrossRef
- Ahern, M. M., & Hendryx, M. (2007). Avoidable hospitalizations for diabetes: Comorbidity risks. Disease Management, 10, 347–355. CrossRef
- Health Canada. (2002). Diabetes in Canada (2nd ed.). Ottawa: Health Canada, Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, Population and Public Health Branch.
- Statistics Canada. (2009). Comparable health indicators––Canada, provinces and territories. Catalogue 82-401-X. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-401-x/2009000/considerations/hlt/37bhlt-eng.htm. Accessed 5 Feb 2010.
- Manuel, D. G., Schultz, S. E., & Kopec, J. A. (2002). Measuring health burden of chronic diseases and injury using health-adjusted life expectancy and the health utilities index. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 56, 843–850. CrossRef
- Wood, R., Sutton, M., Clark, D., McKeon, A., & Bain, M. (2006). Measuring inequalities in health: The case for healthy life expectancy. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 60, 1089–1092. CrossRef
- Murray, C. J. L., Salomon, J. A., & Mathers, C. (2000). A critical examination of summary measure of population health. Bulleting of the World Health Organization, 78, 981–994.
- Manuel, D. G., & Schultz, S. (2004). Health-related quality of life and health-adjusted life expectancy of people with diabetes in Ontario, Canada, 1996–1997. Diabetes Care, 27, 407–414. CrossRef
- Bowker, S. L., Pohar, S. L., & Johnson, J. A. (2006). A cross-sectional study of health-related quality of life deficits in individuals with comorbid diabetes and cancer. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 4(17), 1–9.
- Furlong, W., Feeny, D., Torrance, G., & Barr, R. (2001). The Health Utilities Index (HUI3) system for assessing health-related quality of life in clinical studies. Health economics and policy analysis research working paper (Pub. no. 01-02). Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, McMaster University Center for Health Economics and Policy Analysis.
- Chiang, C. L. (1984). The life table and its applications. Malabar, FL: Robert E. Krieger Pub. Co.
- Sullivan, D. (1971). A single index of mortality and morbidity. HSMHA Health Reports, 86, 347–354.
- Horsman, J., Furlong, W., Feeny, D., & Torrance, G. (2003). The Health Utilities Index (HUI): Concepts, measurement properties and applications. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 1(54), 1–13.
- Nusselder, W. J., Velden, K. V., Sonsbeek, J. L., Lenior, M. E., & Bos, G. A. (1996). The elimination of selected chronic diseases in a population: The compression and expansion of morbidity. American Journal of Public Health, 86, 187–194. CrossRef
- Millar, W. J. (1996). Chronic Pain. Health reports (Statistics Canada, Catalogue 82-003), 7, 37–53.
- Wolfson, M. C. (1996). Health-adjusted life expectancy. Health Reports. Statistics Canada, 8, 41–46.
- Jagger, C., Goyder, E., Clarke, M., Brouard, N., & Arthur, A. (2003). Active life expectancy in people with and without diabetes. Journal of Public Health Medicine, 25, 42–46. CrossRef
- Jacobson, A. M., de Groot, M., & Sampson, J. A. (1997). The effects of psychiatric disorders and symptoms on quality of life in patients with type I and type II diabetes mellitus. Quality of Life Research, 6, 11–20. CrossRef
- Harris, M. I., & Robbins, D. C. (1998). Prevalence of adult-onset IDDM in the U.S. population. Diabetes Care, 17, 1337–1340. CrossRef
- De Visser, C. L., Bilo, H. J., Groenier, K. H., de Visser, W., & Jong-Meyboom-de, B. (2002). The influence of cardiovascular disease on quality of life in type 2 diabetes. Quality of Life Research, 11, 249–261. CrossRef
- Diabetes and its impact on health-related quality of life: a life table analysis
Quality of Life Research
Volume 19, Issue 6 , pp 781-787
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Health-related quality of life
- Health status
- Health-adjusted life expectancy
- Health utility index
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Research and Evaluation, NL Centre for Health Information, 70 O’Leary Avenue, St. John’s, NL, A1B 2C7, Canada
- 2. Division of Community Health and Humanities, Memorial University Newfoundland, St. John’s, NL, A1B 3V6, Canada
- 3. Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University Newfoundland, St. John’s, NL, A1B 3V6, Canada