Quality of life, characteristics and survival of patients with HIV and lymphoma
We sought to compare the quality of life (QOL), characteristics, and survival of patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) with and without human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
Using the population-based cancer registry for Orange and San Diego Counties, We recruited 50 patients with HIV and systemic NHL (cases) and 50 age, sex and race-matched NHL patients without HIV (controls) diagnosed with NHL during 2002–2006. Patients completed a medical history survey and QOL instrument, the Functional Assessment of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection (FAHI) for cases and Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-General (FACT G) for controls.
HIV-infected patients had worse overall QOL and survival than uninfected patients. QOL differences were more marked in the areas of functional, physical and social well-being than in the area of emotional well-being. HIV-infected patients had lower income and were less likely to have private insurance and more likely to have diffuse large B cell histology than uninfected patients.
HIV-infected NHL patients had worse QOL and survival than uninfected patients, due to a combination of co-morbidity, aggressive histology and lack of social support. However, their emotional well-being was comparable to that of uninfected NHL patients and better than historical norms for the HIV-infected.
- Coté, T. R., Biggar, R. J., Rosenberg, P. S., Devesa, S. S., Percy, C., Yellin, F. J., et al. (1997). Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma among people with AIDS: Incidence, presentation and public health burden. AIDS/cancer study group. International Journal of Cancer, 73, 645–650. CrossRef
- Bellizzi, K. M., Rowland, J. H., Arora, N. K., Hamilton, A. S., Miller, M. F., & Aziz, N. M. (2009). Physical activity and quality of life in adult survivors of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 27, 960–966. CrossRef
- Remick, S. C., Sedransk, N., Haase, R. F., Blanchard, C. G., Ramnes, C. R., Nazeer, T., et al. (2001). Oral combination chemotherapy in conjunction with filgrastim (G-CSF) in the treatment of AIDS-related non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: Evaluation of the role of G-CSF; quality-of-life analysis and long-term follow-up. American Journal of Hematology, 66, 178–188. CrossRef
- Martí-Carvajal, A. J., Cardona, A. F., Lawrence, A. (2009). Interventions for previously untreated patients with AIDS-associated Non-Hodgkin′s Lymphoma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 3, CD005419.
- Diamond, C., Taylor, T. H., Aboumrad, T., & Anton-Culver, H. (2006). Changes in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related non-Hodgkin lymphoma in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: Incidence, presentation, treatment, and survival. Cancer, 106, 128–135. CrossRef
- Boué, F., Gabarre, J., Gisselbrecht, C., Reynes, J., Cheret, A., Bonnet, F., et al. (2006). Phase II trial of CHOP plus rituximab in patients with HIV-associated non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 24, 4123–4128. CrossRef
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2009). HIV/AIDS surveillance report, 2007. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 19: 12.
- Goldman, D. P., Leibowitz, A. A., Joyce, G. F., Fleishman, J. A., Bozzette, S. A., Duan, N., et al. (2003). Insurance status of HIV-infected adults in the post-HAART era: evidence from the United States. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, 2, 85–90.
- Diamond, C., Taylor, T. H., Im, T., Wallace, M., Saven, A., & Anton-Culver, H. (2007). How valid is using cancer registries’ data to identify acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma? Cancer Causes and Control, 18, 135–142. CrossRef
- Cella, D. F., McCain, N. L., Peterman, A. H., Mo, F., & Wolen, D. (1996). Development and validation of the Functional assessment of human immunodeficiency virus infection (FAHI) quality of life instrument. Quality of Life Research, 5, 450–463. CrossRef
- Cella, D. F., Tulsky, D. S., Gray, G., Sarafian, B., Linn, E., Bonomi, A., et al. (1993). The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: Development and validation of the general measure. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 11, 570–579.
- Cella, D., Hernandez, L., Bonomi, A. E., Corona, M., Vaquero, M., Shiomoto, G., et al. (1998). Spanish language translation and initial validation of the functional assessment of cancer therapy quality-of-life instrument. Medical Care, 36, 1407–1418. CrossRef
- Peterman, A. H., Cella, D., Mo, F., & McCain, N. (1997). Psychometric validation of the revised Functional assessment of human immunodeficiency virus infection (FAHI) quality of life instrument. Quality of Life Research, 6, 572–584. CrossRef
- Fritz, A., Percy, C., Jack, A., Kanagaratnam, S., Sobin, L., Parkin, D. M., et al. (2000). International classification of diseases for oncology (3rd ed., pp. 98–100). Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Brucker, P. S., Yost, K., Cashy, J., Webster, K., & Cella, D. (2005). General population and cancer patient norms for the Functional assessment of cancer therapy-general (FACT-G). Evaluation & the Health Professions, 28, 192–211. CrossRef
- Norman, G. R., Sloan, J. A., & Wyrwich, K. W. (2003). Interpretation of changes in health-related quality of life: The remarkable universality of half a standard deviation. Medical Care, 41, 582–592. CrossRef
- Biggar, R. J., Chaturvedi, A. K., Goedert, J. J., & Engels, E. A. (2007). HIV/AIDS Cancer Match Study (2007) AIDS-related cancer and severity of immunosuppression in persons with AIDS. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 99, 962–972. CrossRef
- Holly, E. A., & Lele, C. (1997). Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in HIV-positive and HIV-negative homosexual men in the San Francisco Bay Area: Allergies, prior medication use, and sexual practices. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes and Human Retrovirology, 15, 211–222.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2005). Reported CD4+ T-lymphocyte results for adults and adolescents with HIV/AIDS—33 states, 2005. HIV/AIDS Surveillance Supplemental Report, 11, 12.
- Quality of life, characteristics and survival of patients with HIV and lymphoma
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Quality of Life Research
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 149-155
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Quality of life
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- FACT G
- Industry Sectors