Low health-related quality of life among abused women
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In a cross-sectional study, we sent a self-administered questionnaire to all the women’s shelters in Norway to describe health-related quality of life among women who had experienced violence from an intimate partner. Every woman who could understand Norwegian and was staying at a women’s shelter in Norway for more than 1 week from October 2002 to May 2003 was asked to participate. We described violence by intimate partners by using the Severity of Violence against Women Scale and the Psychological Maltreatment of Women Index. We used the SF-36 Health Survey to measure health-related quality of life. These women experienced a multitude of threats and actual physical and psychological violence during their partnership. Their health-related quality of life was low and significantly (p<0.001) below the norm for the female population of Norway in all dimensions. The SF-36 mental health dimension was 2.5 standard deviations below the norm. Women at women’s shelters in Norway who had experienced domestic violence had very low and clinically significantly reduced health-related quality of life scores. Health care workers must give priority to developing intervention plans for victims of violence from intimate partners.
- Krug EG, Dahlberg LL, Mercy JA, Zwi AB, Lozano R. World report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002. Report No.: 92-4-154561-5.
- Haaland T, Clausen S-E, Schei B. Vold i parforhold: NIBR, 2005.
- Kapoor N, Justis-og politidepartementet. Retten til et liv uten vold: menns vold mot kvinner i nære relasjoner: With summary in English. Oslo: Statens forvaltningstjeneste Informasjonsforvaltning, 2003.
- Kaysen, D, Resick, AP, Wiise, D (2003) Living in danger. The impact of chronic traumatization and the traumatic context on posttraumatic stress disorder. Trauma Violence & Abuse 4: pp. 247-264 CrossRef
- Wilson, M, Daly, M (1993) Spousal homicide risk and estrangement. Violence Vict 8: pp. 3-16
- Helweg-Larsen, K, Kruse, M (2003) Violence against women and consequent health problems: A register-based study. Scand J Public Health 31: pp. 51-7 CrossRef
- Hegarty, K, Gunn, J, Chondros, P, Small, R (2004) Association between depression and abuse by partners of women attending general practice: Descriptive, cross sectional survey. Br Med J 328: pp. 621-624
- Bradley, F, Smith, M, Long, J, O’Dowd, T (2002) Reported frequency of domestic violence: Cross sectional survey of women attending general practice. Br Med J 324: pp. 1-6
- Krantz, G, Østergran, P-O (2000) The association between violence victimization and common symptoms in Swedish Women. J Epidemiol Community Health 54: pp. 815-821 CrossRef
- Fayers, PM, Machin, D (2000) Quality of life: Assessment, analysis and interpretation. John Wiley, Chishester
- Marshall, LL (1992) Development of the severity of violence against women scales. J Family Violence 7: pp. 103-120 CrossRef
- Tolman, R (1989) The development of a measure of psychological maltreatment of women by their male partners. Violence Victims 4: pp. 159-177
- Ware, JE, Kosinski, M, Gandek, B (2000) SF-36 health survey: Manual & interpretation guide. QualityMetric Inc., Lincoln, RI
- Loge, JH, Kaasa, S, Hjermstad, MJ, Kvien, KT (1998) Translation and performance of the Norwegian SF-36 health survey in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Epidemiol 51: pp. 1069-1076 CrossRef
- Statistics N. Population after age, sex and marital status, 1 January 2004. In; 2004. p. http://www.ssb.no/english/subjects/02/01/10/folkemengde_en/.
- Laffaye, C, Kennedy, C, Murray, BS (2003) Post-traumatic stress disorder and health-related quality of life in female victims of intimate partner violence. Violence Victims 18: pp. 227-238 CrossRef
- Voelker, M, Saag, KG, Schwartz, DA, Chrischilles, E, Clarke, WR, Woolson, RF (2002) Health-related quality of life in Gulf war era military personell. Am J Epidemiol 155: pp. 899-907 CrossRef
- Unwin C, Blatchley N, Coker W, et al. Health of UK servicemen who served in Persian Gulf War. The Lancet 1999; 353: 169–178.
- Campbell, JC (2002) Health consequences of intimate partner violence. Lancet 359: pp. 1331-6 CrossRef
- Carr, AJ, Gibson, B, Robinson, PG (2001) Measuring quality of life: Is quality of life determined by expectations or experience. Br Med J 322: pp. 1240-3
- Alonso, J, Ferrer, M, Gandek, B, JEW, , Aaronson, NK, Mosconi, P (2004) Health- related quality of life associated with chronic conditions in eight countries: Results from the International Quality of Life Assessment (IQOLA) Project. Quality Life Res 13: pp. 283-298 CrossRef
- Nortvedt, MW, Riise, T, Myhr, KM, Nyland, HI (1999) Quality of life in multiple sclerosis: Measuring the disease effects more broadly. Neurology 53: pp. 1098-103
- Candilis, PJ, Renee, MYSBA, Otto, MW, Manfro, GG, Wortington, JJ, Peneva, S (1999) Quality of life in patients with panic disorder. J Nervous Mental Disease 187: pp. 429-434 CrossRef
- Wyrwich, KW, Bullinger, M, Aaronsen, N (2005) Estimating clinically significant differences in quality of life outcomes. Oual Life Res 14: pp. 285-295 CrossRef
- Johnsen, MP (1995) Patriarchal terrorism and common couple violence; two forms of violence against women. J Marriage Family 57: pp. 283-294 CrossRef
- Humphreys, J (2005) What we know and what we still need to learn. J Interpersonal Violence 20: pp. 182-187 CrossRef
- Herman, JL (2001) Trauma and recovery. Pandora, London
- Hegarty, K, Sheehan, M, Schonfeld, C (1999) A multidimensional definition of partner abuse: Development and preliminary validation of the composite scale. J Familiy Violence 14: pp. 399-415 CrossRef
- Dutton, GD (2001) Validation of the propensity for abusiveness scale in diverse male populations. J Familiy Violence 16: pp. 59-73 CrossRef
- Edwards, P, Roberts, I, Clarke, M, DiGuiseppi, C, Pratap, S, Wentz, R (2002) Increasing response rates to postal questionnaires: Systematic review. Br Med J 324: pp. 1183
- Merritt-Gray, M, Wuest, J (1995) Counteracting abuse and breaking free: The process of leaving revealed through women’s voices. Health Care Women Int 16: pp. 399-412 CrossRef
- Hyden, M (2005) I must have been an idiot to let him go on: Agency and posioning in battered women’s narratives of leaving. Feminism Psychol 15: pp. 169-188 CrossRef
- Campbell, JC (2004) Helping women understand their risk in situations of intimate partner violence. J Interpersonal Violence 19: pp. 1464-1477 CrossRef
- Low health-related quality of life among abused women
Quality of Life Research
Volume 15, Issue 6 , pp 959-965
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Battered women
- Quality of life
- Women’s shelter
- Industry Sectors