Assessment of quality of life among HIV-infected persons in Pune, India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective: To study dimensions of Quality of Life (QOL) amongst HIV infected persons, their relationship with socio-demographic characteristics and disease progression.
Design: Cross-sectional study with one time assessment of QOL.
Methods: Modified Medical Outcome Study (MOS) core instrument [The Medical Outcome Study 116 core set of Measures of functioning and well being, Appendix A, core survey instrument (internet)] was interview -administered to 100 HIV infected individuals.
Results: The instrument showed significant positive inter-domain correlations and desired linear association between QOL scores and the CD4 counts. The scale had a Cronbach α value of 0.75. QOL was markedly affected in the domains of physical health, work and earnings, routine activities and appetite and food intake. Women had significantly lower QOL scores than men despite having less advanced disease. The QOL scores were significantly lower among persons with lower CD4 counts mainly in different domains of physical health.
Conclusions: The modified MOS scale had the desired reliability and validity for evaluation of QOL in the HIV-infected persons in India. Low scores in the domains of physical health compared to other domains suggest a strategy to focus on medical intervention. A need for psychosocial intervention for women was perceived. Longitudinal studies must be done to assess the impact of anti-retroviral therapy being rolled out through the national programme on QOL.
- The Medical Outcome Study 116 core set of measures of functioning and well being, Appendix A, Core survey instrument (Internet).
- Low-Beers, S, Chan, K, Wood, E (2000) Health related quality of life among persons with HIV after the use of protease inhibitors. Qual Life Res 8: pp. 941-949 CrossRef
- Wu, A. (2000) Quality of life assessment comes of age in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 14: pp. 1449-1451
- Scott-Lennox, JA, Mills, RJ, Burt, MS. (1998) Impact of Zidovudin plus lamivudin or Zalcitabine on health related quality of life. Ann Pharmacother 32: pp. 525-530 CrossRef
- Revicki, DA, Moyle, G, Stellbrink, H (1999) Quality of life outcomes of combination Zalcitabine–Zidovudin, Sequinavir–Zidovudin, and Sequinavir–Zalcitabine–Zidovudin therapy for HIV-infected adults with CD4 cell counts between 50 and 350 per cubic millimetre. AIDS 13: pp. 851-858
- Cohen, C, Revicki, DA, Nabulsi, A (1998) A randomised trial of the effect of ritonavir in maintaining quality of life in advanced HIV disease. AIDS 12: pp. 495-502 CrossRef
- Paton, NI, Chapman, CA, Chan, SP (2002) Validation of the medical outcome study HIV (1), health survey as a measure of quality of life in HIV infected patients in Singapore. Int J STD AIDS 13: pp. 456-461 CrossRef
- Lubeck, DP, Fries, JF. (1997) Assessment of quality of life in early stage HIV-infected persons: Data from the AIDS Time – Oriented Health Outcome Study (ATHOS). Qual Life Res 6: pp. 494-506
- Eriksson, LE, Nordstron, G, Berglund, T (2000) The health related quality of life in a Swedish sample of HIV infected persons. J Adv Nurs 32: pp. 213-223 CrossRef
- Cowdery, JE, Pesa, JA. (2002) Assessing quality of life in women living with HIV Infection. AIDS Care 14: pp. 235-245
- Hays, RD, Shapiro, MF. (1992) An overview of generic health related quality of life measures for HIV research. Qual Life Res 1: pp. 91-98 CrossRef
- The WHOQOL HIV Group. Initial steps to developing the World Health Organisation’s Quality of Life Instrument (WHOQOL) module for International assessment in HIV/AIDS, AIDS Care 2003; 15: 347–357.
- Brown L, Ruth L. Review of instruments assessing health related quality of life, excerpts from “A review of approaches and instruments for assessing health – Related quality of life” Tulane University /Horizon (Internet).
- Franchi, D, Wenel, RP. (1998) Measuring health related quality of life among patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus. Clin Infect Dis 26: pp. 20-26
- Douaihy, A, Singh, N. (2001) Factors affecting quality of life in patients with HIV infection. AIDS Reader 11: pp. 444-449
- CDC. Revision of the case definition of acquired immuno-deficiency syndrome for national reporting. US MMWR 1985; 34: 373–375.
- Miners, AH, Sabin, CA, Mocroft, A (2001) Health-related quality of life in individuals infected with HIV in the era of HAART. HIV Clin Trials 2: pp. 484-492
- Carrieri, P, Spire, B, Duran, S (2003) Health related quality of life after one year of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J AIDS 32: pp. 38-47
- Wu, AW, Jacobson, DL, Frick, KD (2002) Validity and responsiveness of the EuroQol as a measure of health related Quality of life in people enrolled in an AIDS clinical trial. Qual Life Res 11: pp. 273-282
- Huba GJ, Melchior LA. A report: Executive summary on Self perceived quality of life among HIV/AIDS patients in treatment within the Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Ryan White Title 1 Eligible Metropolitan Area. 2002. The measurement Group LLc, 5811A Uplander Way, Culver City, California 90230,888.864.4636. www.Themeasurement Group.com
- Gill, CJ, Grffith, JL, Jacobson, D (2002) Relationship of HIV viral loads, CD4 counts, and HAART use to health related quality of life. J AIDS 30: pp. 485-492
- Han, C, Pulling, CC, Telke, SE (2002) Assessing the utility of five domains in SF-12 health status questionnaire in an AIDS clinical trial. AIDS 16: pp. 431-439
- Campsmith, MI, Nakashima, AK, Davidson, AJ. (2003) Self reported health related quality of life in persons with HIV infection: Results from multi-sites interview project. Health Qual Life Outcomes 1: pp. 12
- Cedrerfjall, C, Langius-Eklof, A, Lidman, K (2001) Gender differences in the perceived heath related quality of life among patients with HIV infection. AIDS Patient Care STD 15: pp. 31-39
- McDonnell, KA, Gielen, AC, Wu, AW (2000) Measuring health related quality of life among women living with HIV. Qual Life Res 9: pp. 931-940
- Landerking, WR, Testa, MA, Katsenstein, D (1997) Measuring quality of life in HIV early disease: The modular approach. Qual Life Res 6: pp. 515-530
- Watchel, T, Piette, J, Mor, V (1992) Quality of life in persons with human immunodeficiency virus infection: Measurement by the medical outcome study instrument. Ann Intern Med 116: pp. 129-137
- Smith, MY, Feldmen, J, Kelly, P (1996) Health related quality of life of HIV infected women: Evidence for the reliability, validity and responsiveness of the medical outcomes study short form 20. Qual Life Res 5: pp. 47-55 CrossRef
- Phillips KD, Sowell RL, Rush C et al. Psychosocial and physiologic correlates of perceived health among HIV infected women. Southern Online J Nurs Res 2001; 2.
- Starace, F, Cafaro, L, Abrescia, N (2002) Quality of life assessment in HIV positive persons: application & validation of WHOQOL-HIV, Italian version. AIDS Care 14: pp. 405-415
- Borgo, CD, Izzi, I, Chiarotti, F (2001) Multidimensional aspects of pain in HIV-infected individuals. AIDS Patient Care STD 15: pp. 95-102
- Badia, X, Podzamczer, D, Garcia, M (1999) the Spanish MOS-HIV and MQOL-HIV Validation Group. A randomised study comparing instruments for measuring health related quality of life in HIV-infected patients. AIDS 13: pp. 1727-1735
- Murri, R, Ammassari, A, Fantoni, M (1997) Disease related factors associated with health related quality of life in people with non-advanced HIV disease assessed using an Italian version of the MOS-HIV health Survey. J AIDS 16: pp. 350-356
- Wu, AW, Rubin, HR, Mathews, WC (1991) A health status questionnaire using 30 items from the medical outcomes study. Preliminary validation in persons with early HIV infection. Med Care 29: pp. 786-798
- Ware, JE, Kosinski, M, Gandek, B (1998) The factor structure of SF-36 health survey in 10 countries: Results from the IQOLA project. J Clin Epidemiol 51: pp. 1159-1165
- Wu, AW, Revicki, DA, Jacobson, D (1997) Evidence for reliability, validity and usefulness of the Medical Outcome Study HIV health survey (MOS-HIV). Qual Life Res 6: pp. 481-493
- Chesney, MA, Folkman, S. (1994) Psychological impact of HIV disease and implications for intervention. Psychiatr Clin North Am 17: pp. 163-182
- Nunes, JA, Raymond, SJ, Nicholas, PK (1995) Social support, quality of life, immune function and health in persons living with HIV. J Holist Nurs 13: pp. 174-198
- Cunningham, WE, Shapiro, MF, Hays, RD (1998) Constitutional symptoms and health related quality of life of patients with symptomatic HIV disease. Am J Med 104: pp. 129-136
- Globe, DR, Hays, RD, Cunningham, WE. (1999) Association of Clinical parameters with health related quality of life in hospitalised persons with HIV disease. AIDS Care 11: pp. 71-86
- Weinfurt, KP, Willke, RJ, Glick, HA (2000) Relationship between CD4 count, viral burden, and quality of life over time in HIV-1 infected patients. Med Care 38: pp. 404-410
- Assessment of quality of life among HIV-infected persons in Pune, India
Quality of Life Research
Volume 14, Issue 6 , pp 1641-1647
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Progression of HIV disease
- Industry Sectors