Comorbidity of chronic diseases
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Although much research has been done on the impact of chronic illness on quality of life, still relatively little is known about the role of comorbidity. Given the growing number of (older) people with multiple chronic conditions, more information is needed on the effects of specific disease combinations for preventive purposes. In a nationwide representative sample of 1673 non-institutionalized chronic disease patients (recruited in 56 general practices) in The Netherlands, we assessed the separate and joint effects of cardiovascular disease, cancer, arthritis, chronic respiratory disease, diabetes mellitus, and thyroid dysfunction on physical and mental functioning. Data on medical diagnoses were provided by the general practitioners; data on physical and mental functioning were collected by a patient survey (SF-36). Compared to reference data of the general population, physical functioning appeared to be worse in all six diagnostic groups, whereas mental functioning was more or less comparable. Patients with arthritis or those suffering from comorbidity reported the lowest levels of physical functioning. Synergistic effects of combinations of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and/or chronic respiratory disease were found, indicating that patients suffering from these disease combinations run a higher risk of physical disability than could be expected from their separate effects.
- Nationale Commissie Chronisch Zieken [National Committee of the Chronically Ill]. Van mogelijk naar noodzakelijk. Chronisch-ziekenbeleid in de 21e eeuw. Eindadvies. Zoetermeer, Nationale Commissie Chronisch Zieken, 1999.
- Akker, M, Buntinx, F, Knottnerus, JA (1996) Comorbidity or multimorbidity: What’s in a name. A review of literature. Eur J Gen Pract 2: pp. 65-70
- Schellevis, FG, Bos, GAM, Tijssen, JGP, Grobbee, DE, Heinsbroek, RPW (1997) Comorbidity and chronic diseases: A report of the workshop Comorbidity and Chronic Diseases.. Council for Medical Research, The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, The Hague
- Satariano, WA Comorbidities and cancer. In: Hunter, CP, Johnson, KA, Muss, HB eds. (2000) Cancer in the Elderly. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp. 477-499
- Gijsen, R, Hoeymans, N, Schellevis, FG, Ruwaard, D, Satariano, WA, Bos, GAM (2001) Causes and consequences of comorbidity: A review.. J Clin Epidemiol 54: pp. 661-674 CrossRef
- Heijmans MJTM, Rijken PM, Schellevis FG, Bos GAM van den. Meer dan een ziekte. De gevolgen van comorbiditeit vanuit het perspectief van chronisch zieken en gehandicapten. Utrecht/Amsterdam/Bilthoven: NIVEL/AMC/RIVM, 2003.
- Ettinger, WH, Davis, MA, Neuhaus, JM, Mallon, KP (1994) Long-term physical functioning in persons with knee osteoarthritis from NHANES I: Effects of comorbid medical conditions. J Clin Epidemiol 47: pp. 809-815 CrossRef
- Verbrugge, LM (1995) Women, men, and osteoarthritis. Arthritis Care Res 8: pp. 212-220
- Fried, LP, Bandeen-Roche, K, Kasper, JD, Guralnik, JM (1999) Association of comorbidity with disability in older women: The Women’s Health and Aging Study. J Clin Epidemiol 52: pp. 27-37 CrossRef
- Katon, W, Sullivan, M (1990) Depression and chronic medical illness. J Clin Psychiatry 51: pp. 3-11
- Wells, KB, Golding, JM, Burnam, MA (1988) Psychiatric disorder in a sample of the general population with and without chronic medical conditions. Am J Psychiatry 145: pp. 976-981
- Nationale Raad voor de Volksgezondheid [Netherlands Classification and Terminology Committee for Health]. Standaardisatie van chroniciteitsbegrippen. Vooronderzoek naar het definiëren en specificeren van chroniciteit van gezondheidsproblemen ten behoeve van classificaties. Zoetermeer: Nationale Raad voor de Volksgezondheid, 1995.
- Schellevis, F. (1993) Chronic Diseases in General Practice. Comorbidity and Quality of Care.. Drukkerij Pascal, Utrecht
- Heijmans, M, Foets, M, Rijken, M, Schreurs, K, Ridder, D, Bensing, J (2001) Stress in chronic disease: Do the perceptions of patients and their general practitioners match?. Br J Health Psychol 6: pp. 229-242 CrossRef
- Lamberts, H, Wood, M eds. (1987) ICPC International Classification of Primary Care. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Ware, JE, Sherbourne, CD (1992) The RAND-36 Short-form Health Status Survey: I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care 30: pp. 473-481
- McHorney, CA, Ware, JE, Lu, JF, Sherbourne, CD (1994) The MOS 36-item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36): III. Tests of data quality, scaling assumptions, and reliability across diverse patient groups. Med Care 32: pp. 40-66
- Ware JE, Kosinsky M, Keller SD. SF-36 Physical & Mental Health Summary Scales: A User’s Manual. Boston, The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, December 1994.
- Ware, JE, Kosinski, M, Bayliss, MS, McHorney, CA, Rogers, WH, Raczek, A (1994) Comparison of Methods for the Scoring and Statistical Analysis of SF-36 Health Profile and Summary Measures: Summary of Results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Med Care 33: pp. AS264-279
- Zee, KI, Sanderman, R, Heyink, JW, Haes, H (1996) Psychometric Qualities of the RAND 36-Item Health Survey 1.0: A multidimensional measure of general health status. Int J Behav Med 3: pp. 104-122
- Aaronson, NK, Muller, M, Cohen, PDA (1998) Translation, validation, and norming of the Dutch language version of the SF-36 Health Survey in community and chronic disease populations.. J Clin Epidemiol 51: pp. 1055-1068 CrossRef
- Kriegsman, DM, Penninx, BW, Eijk, JT, Boeke, AJ, Deeg, DJ (1996) Self-reports and general practitioner information on the presence of chronic diseases in community dwelling elderly. A study on the accuracy of patients’ self-reports and on determinants of inaccuracy. J Clin Epidemiol 49: pp. 1407-1417 CrossRef
- Haapanen, N, Miilunpalo, S, Pasanen, M, Oja, P, Vuori, I (1997) Agreement between questionnaire data and medical records of chronic diseases in middle-aged and elderly Finnish men and women.. Am J Epidemiol 145: pp. 762-769
- Fanuele, JC, Birkmeyer, NJO, Abdu, WA, Tosteson, TD, Weinstein, JN (2000) The impact of spinal problems on the health status of patients.. Spine 25: pp. 1509-1514 CrossRef
- Anderson, JP, Kaplan, RM, Coons, SJ, Schneiderman, LJ (1998) Comparison of the Quality of Well-Being Scale and the SF-36 results among two samples of ill adults: AIDS and other illnesses.. J Clin Epidemiol 9: pp. 755-762 CrossRef
- Mahler, DA, Mackowiak, JI (1995) Evaluation of the SF-36 Questionnaire to measure health-related quality of life in patients with COPD. Chest 107: pp. 1585-1589
- Haggerty, JJ, Prange, AJ (1995) Borderline hypothyroidism and depression. Ann Rev Med 46: pp. 37-46 CrossRef
- Moos, RH, Schaeffer, JA The crisis of physical illness. An overview and conceptual approach. In: Moss, RM eds. (1984) Coping with Physical Illness, New Perspectives. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 3-39
- Zautra, AJ (1996) Investigations of the ongoing stressful situations among those with chronic illness. Am J Community Psychol 24: pp. 697-717
- Akker, M, Buntinx, F, Metsemakers, JFM, Roos, S, Knottnerus, JA (1998) Multimorbidity in general practice: prevalence, incidence, and determinants of co-occuring chronic and recurrent diseases. J Clin Epidemiol 51: pp. 367-375 CrossRef
- Statistics Netherlands. Netherlands Health Interview Survey 1981–1995. The Hague: SDU Publishers, 1996.
- Rijken, PM, Foets, M, Peters, L, Bruin, AF, Dekker, J (1999) Patiëntenpanel Chronisch Zieken. Kerngegevens 1998. NIVEL, Utrecht
- Comorbidity of chronic diseases
Quality of Life Research
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 45-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Chronic disease
- Functional status
- Health-related quality of life
- Mental functioning
- Industry Sectors