The G t /GI/s t +GI many-server fluid queue
- Yunan LiuAffiliated withDepartment of Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University
- , Ward WhittAffiliated withDepartment of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Columbia University Email author
This paper introduces a deterministic fluid model that approximates the many-server G t /GI/s t +GI queueing model, and determines the time-dependent performance functions. The fluid model has time-varying arrival rate and service capacity, abandonment from queue, and non-exponential service and patience distributions. Two key assumptions are that: (i) the system alternates between overloaded and underloaded intervals, and (ii) the functions specifying the fluid model are suitably smooth. An algorithm is developed to calculate all performance functions. It involves the iterative solution of a fixed-point equation for the time-varying rate that fluid enters service and the solution of an ordinary differential equation for the time-varying head-of-line waiting time, during each overloaded interval.
Simulations are conducted to confirm that the algorithm and the approximation are effective.
KeywordsQueues with time-varying arrivals Nonstationary queues Transient behavior Many-server queues Deterministic fluid model Customer abandonment Non-Markovian queues
Mathematics Subject Classification60K25 90K22
- The G t /GI/s t +GI many-server fluid queue
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 71, Issue 4 , pp 405-444
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Queues with time-varying arrivals
- Nonstationary queues
- Transient behavior
- Many-server queues
- Deterministic fluid model
- Customer abandonment
- Non-Markovian queues
- Industry Sectors