Integrating streaming and file-transfer Internet traffic: fluid and diffusion approximations
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We study the behavior of a communication link that divides its capacity fairly among file transfers and streaming flows. We identify appropriate asymptotic regimes and obtain fluid and diffusion limits. The non-trivial, yet tractable, limits can be used for performance analysis and policy design. Furthermore, the scalings used to obtain these limits are themselves of interest and help explain phenomena observed in previous simulation studies.
- Coffman EG, Puhalskii AA, Reiman MI. Polling systems in heavy traffic: a Bessel process limit. Math OR 1998;23(2):257–304.
- Courcoubetis C, Dimakis A, Reiman MI. Providing bandwidth guarantees over a best-effort network: call-admission and pricing. IEEE INFOCOM; 2001.
- Deb S, Ganesh A, Key P. Resource allocation between persistent and transient flows. INFOCOM; 2004.
- Ethier SN, Kurtz TG. Markov processes: characterization and convergence. New York: Wiley; 1986.
- Karatzas I, Shreve SE. Brownian motion and stochastic calculus. 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer; 1991.
- Karlin S, Taylor HE. A first course in stochastic processes. 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic; 1975.
- Key P, Massoulié L, Bain A, Kelly F. Fair Internet traffic integration: network flow models and analysis. Ann Telecommun 2004;59(11–12):1338–52.
- Kurtz T. Approximation of population processes. CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics. vol 36; 1981.
- Mandelbaum A, Massey WA, Reiman MI. Strong approximations for Markovian service networks. Queueing Syst 1998;30:149–201. CrossRef
- Massoulié L, Roberts J. Bandwidth sharing and admission control for elastic traffic. Telecommun Syst 2000;15:185–210. CrossRef
- Shorak G, Wellner J. Empirical processes with applications to statistics. New York: Wiley; 1986.
- Yamada K. Diffusion approximations for storage processes with general release rules. Math OR 1984;9(3):459–70. CrossRef
- Weerasinghe A. Personal communication; 2006.
- Integrating streaming and file-transfer Internet traffic: fluid and diffusion approximations
Volume 55, Issue 4 , pp 195-205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Asympotic analysis
- Fluid limits
- Diffusion limits
- Communication link
- Streaming traffic
- Industry Sectors