Quantification of Zeaxanthin Dipalmitate and Total Carotenoids in Lycium Fruits (Fructus Lycii)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An HPLC-DAD method has been developed to quantitatively analyze for the content of zeaxanthin dipalmitate, a major carotenoid in Fructus Lycii, in different species of the genus Lycium. Determination was performed using an Alltima C18 column with the mobile phase consisting of acetonitrile and dichloromethane (42:58). The total contents of carotenoids in these samples were also determined by using UV spectrophotometric assay. Total carotenoid concentrations of different Fructus Lycii are within the range of 0.03–0.5%. Zeaxanthin dipalmitate is a predominant carotenoid, comprising 31–56% of the total carotenoids in Fructus Lycii. This study is the first systematic quantification of the carotenoids in the fruits of different Lycium species. The results demonstrated that these methods are reliable and facile techniques for rapid analysis of carotenoids for crude drug and plant-derived food supplements.
- Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China (2000). Beijing: Chemical Industry Press.
- Xie C, Xu LZ, Li XM, Li KM, Zhao BH, Yang SL (2001) Studies on chemical constituents in fruit of Lycium barbarum L. J Chin Mater Med 26: 323–324.
- Wang Q, Qiu Y, He SP, Chen YY (1998) Chemical constituents of the fruit of Lycium barbarum L. J Chin Pharm Sci 7: 218–220.
- Wang JH, Wang JM, Li L, Zhang M, Zhang SH (2002) Isolation, purification and structure characteristics of Lycium barbarum polysaccharide LBP2a. Food 23: 44–48.
- Kim HP, Lee EJ, Kim YC, Kim J, Kim HK, Park JH, Kim SY, Kim YC (2002) Zeaxanthin dipalmitate from Lycium chinense fruit reduces experimentally induced hepatic fibrosis in rats. Biol Pharm Bull 25: 390–392.
- Wang JH, Wang HZ, Zhang M, Zhang SH (2002) Effects of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides (LBP3) on lipid peroxidation in mice. Chin J Vet Sci 22: 267–268.
- Gan L, Zhang SH, Liu Q, Xu HB (2003) A polysaccharide–protein complex from Lycium barbarum upregulates cytokine expression in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Eur J Pharmacol 471: 217–222. CrossRef
- Wang JH, Wang HZ, Zhang M, Zhang SH (2002) Anti-aging function of polysaccharides from Fructus lycii. Acta Nutrimenta Sin 24: 189–191, 194.
- Wang Y, Zhao H, Sheng X, Gambino PE, Costello B, Bojanowski K (2002) Protective effect of Fructus Lycii polysaccharides against time and hyperthermia-induced damage in cultured seminiferous epithelium. J Ethnopharmacol 82: 169–175. CrossRef
- Zhang M, Wang JH, Zhang SH (2002) Study on the composition of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides and its effects on the growth of weanling mice. J Hyg Res 31: 118–119.
- Gan L, Zhang SH (2002) Effects of Lycium barbarum polysaccharide on cytokine expression in human monocytes. Acta Nutrimenta Sin 24: 67–69.
- Peng XM, Huang LJ, Qi CH, Zhang YX, Tian GY (2001) Studies on chemistry and immuno-modulating mechanism of a glycoconjugate from Lycium barbarum L. Chin J Chem 19: 1190–1197.
- Gan L, Wang JH, Luo Q, Zhang SH (2001) Effects of Lycium barbarum polysaccharide on apoptosis of human leukemia cells. Acta Nutrimenta Sin 23: 220–224.
- Duan CL, Qiao SY, Wang NL, Zhao YM, Qi CH, Yao XS (2001) Studies on the active polysaccharides from Lycium barbarum L. Acta Pharm Sin 36: 196–199.
- Huang LJ, Tian GY, Wang ZF, Dong JB, Wu MP (2001) Studies on the glycoconjugates and glycans from Lycium barbarum L. in inhibiting low density lipoprotein (LDL) peroxidation. Acta Pharm Sin 36: 108–111.
- Ruan H, Lu Z (1999) Studies on immunomodulatory function of polysaccharide of Fructus Ligustri Lucidi. China J Chin Mater Med 24: 691–693.
- Kim SK, Kim YC, Kim YC (1998) Effects of singly administered betaine on hepatotoxicity of chloroform in mice. Food Chem Toxicol 36: 655–661.
- Ren B, Ma Y, Sheng Y, Gao B (1995) Protective action of Lycium barbarum L. (LbL) and betaine on lipid peroxidation of erythrocyte membrane induced by H2O2. China J Chin Mater Med 20: 303–304.
- Li Z, Peng GH, Chen L, Zhang SH (1997) Determination of β-carotene in Fructus Lycii by nonaqueous reversed -phase high performance liquid chromatography. Chin J Chromatogr 6: 537–538.
- Quantification of Zeaxanthin Dipalmitate and Total Carotenoids in Lycium Fruits (Fructus Lycii)
Plant Foods for Human Nutrition
Volume 60, Issue 4 , pp 161-164
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Fructus Lycii
- HPLC chromatography
- Total carotenoids
- Zeaxanthin dipalmitate
- Industry Sectors