Fatty Acids and Carotenes in Some Ber (Ziziphus jujuba Mill) Varieties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several jujube varieties from the southeast of Spain were analyzed for fatty acid and carotene contents. Triglycerides having medium-chain fatty acids were most abundant in all samples. The main fatty acids were 12:0 (18.3 ± 9.97), 10:0 (12.5 ± 19.0), 18:2n6 (9.27 ± 7.26), 16:1n7 (8.50 ± 5.77), 16:0 (7.25 ± 4.35), and 18:1n9 (5.34 ± 2.52) on total saponifiable oil. The fruits yield 1.33 ± 0.17 g/100 g saponifiable oil on a dry weight basis. Fatty acid profiles of fruits were found to be influenced by their developmental stage. Multivariable data analyses show that the samples could be grouped on the basis of their fatty acid content. Carotenes were found to be in good agreement with other fruits, varying from 4.12 to 5.98 mg/100 g on a dry weight basis. The contribution to vitamin value reach a mdium of 38 μg RE/100 g on a fresh weight basis.
- Bakhshi JC, Singh P (1974) The Ber. A good choice form semiarid and marginal soils. Ind Hort 19: 27–30.
- Tiwari RJ, Banafar RNS (1995) Studies on the nutritive constituents, yield and yield attributing characters in some ber (Zizyphus jujuba) genotypes. Ind J Plant Physiol 38: 88–89.
- Zhumatov UZ (1996) Elementary compositions of the fruits of Morus nigra and Zizyphus jujuba and their biological activities. Chem Nat Compds 32: 100–101.
- Yamaoka Y, Kawakita T, Kaneko M, Nomoto K (1996) A polysaccharide fraction of Zizyphi Fructus in augmenting natural killer activity by oral administration. Biol Pharm Bull 19: 936–939.
- Wong KC, Chee SG, Tan CH (1996) Volatile constituents of the fruit of Zizyphus jujuba Mill. var. inermis (Bge.) Rehd. J Essen Oil Res 8: 323–326.
- Lepage G, Roy C (1984) Improved recovery of fatty acid through direct transesterification without prior extraction or purification. J Lipid Res. 25: 1391–1396.
- Whyte JN (1987) Biochemical composition and energy content of six species of phytoplankton used in mariculture of bivalves. Aquaculture 60: 231–241.
- Wills RBH, Nurdin H, Wootton M (1988) Separation of carotenes and xanthophylls in fruit and vegetables by HPLC. J Micronutr Anal 4: 87–98.
- Hainer V, Kunesova M, Stich V, Zak A, Parizkova J (1994) The role of oils containing triacylglycerols and medium-chain fatty acids in the dietary treatment of obesity. The effect on resting energy expenditure and serum lipids. Cas Lek Cesk 133: 373–375.
- White MD, Papamandjaris AA, Jones PJ (1999) Enhanced postprandial energy expenditure with medium-chain fatty acid feeding is attenuated after 14 d in premenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 69: 883–889.
- Wold S, Eseben K, Geladi P (1987) Principal component analysis. Chemometr Intell Lab Syst 2: 37–52.
- Fatty Acids and Carotenes in Some Ber (Ziziphus jujuba Mill) Varieties
Plant Foods for Human Nutrition
Volume 59, Issue 1 , pp 23-27
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- fatty acid
- medium-chain fatty acids
- multivariable data analyses
- Ziziphus jujuba
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dpto. de Ingeniería Química, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Almería, 04120, Almería, Spain
- 2. Dpto. de Nutrición y Bromatología II, Facultad de Farmacia de la U.C.M., 28040, Madrid, Spain