Privacy, property rights and efficiency: The economics of privacy as secrecy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Acquisti, A., & Varian, H. R. (2005). Conditioning prices on purchase history. Marketing Science, 24(3), 367–381.
- Akerlof, G. A. (1970) The market for ‘Lemons’: quality uncertainty and the market mechanism. The Quarterly Journal of Economics 84: pp. 488-500 CrossRef
- Calzolari, G., & Pavan, A. (2004). On the optimality of privacy in sequential contracting, Unpublished manuscript. Northwestern University.
- Coase, R. (1960) The Problem of Social Cost. Journal of Law and Economics 3: pp. 1-44 CrossRef
- Grossman, S. J. (1981) The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality. Journal of Law & Economics 24: pp. 461-483 CrossRef
- Hermalin, B. E., Katz, A. W. The Law & Economics of Contracts. In: Polinsky, A. M., Shavell, S. eds. (2005) The Handbook of Law and Economics. North-Holland, Amsterdam
- Hirshleifer, J. (1971) The Private and Social Value of Information and the Reward to Inventive Activity. The American Economic Review 61: pp. 561-574
- Hirshleifer, J. (1980) Privacy: Its Origin, Function, and Future. The Journal of Legal Studies 9: pp. 649-664 CrossRef
- Kahn, C. M., McAndrews, J., & Roberds, W. (2000). A theory of transactions privacy. Working Paper 2000–22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Katz, M. L. (1983) Non-uniform Pricing, Output and Welfare under Monopoly. Review of Economic Studies L: pp. 37-56
- Levin, J. (2001) Information and the market for lemons. RAND Journal of Economics 32: pp. 657-666 CrossRef
- Lipsey, R. G., Lancaster, K. (1956) The General Theory of Second Best. Review of Economic Studies 24: pp. 11-32 CrossRef
- Milgrom, P. R. (1981) Good News and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications. The Bell Journal of Economics 12: pp. 380-391 CrossRef
- Milgrom, P. R., Roberts, J. (1990) Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities. Econometrica 58: pp. 1255-1277 CrossRef
- Mirrlees, J. (1971) An Exploration in the Theory of Optimal Income Taxation. Review of Economic Studies 38: pp. 175-208 CrossRef
- Murphy, R. S. (1996) Property Rights in Personal Information: An Economic Defense of Privacy. Georgetown Law Journal 84: pp. 2381-2417
- Odlyzko, A. (2003). Privacy, economics, and price discrimination on the internet. ACM, Fifth International Conference on Electronic Commerce.
- Posner, R. A. (1981) The Economics of Privacy. American Economic Review 71: pp. 405-409
- Shapiro, C., Varian, H. R. (1997) US Government Information Policy. University of California, Berkeley
- Spence, A. M. (1980) Multi-product quantity-dependent prices and profitability constraints. Review of Economic Studies 47: pp. 821-841 CrossRef
- Stigler, G. J. (1980) An Introduction to Privacy in Economics and Politics. The Journal of Legal Studies 9: pp. 623-644 CrossRef
- Smith, M. S. (2003). Internet privacy: Overview and pending legislation. Report for Congress, Congressional Research Service, The Library of Congress, updated February 6, 2003.
- Taylor, C. R. (2004) Privacy and information acquisition in competitive markets. Unpublished manuscript, Duke University.
- Varian, H. R. Price Discrimination. In: Schmalensee, R., Willig, R. eds. (1989) Handbook of Industrial Organization, Vol. 1. North-Holland, Amsterdam
- Varian, H. R. (1997) Economic Aspects of Personal Privacy. Privacy and Self-regulation in the Information Age. U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington
- Wathieu, L. (2002) Privacy, exposure and price discrimination. Harvard Business School Marketing Research Papers, No. 02–03.
- Williamson, O. (1975) Markets and Hierarchies: Analysis and Antitrust Implications. The Free Press, New York
- Privacy, property rights and efficiency: The economics of privacy as secrecy
Quantitative Marketing and Economics
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 209-239
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Property rights
- Personal data
- Asymmetric information