Privacy, property rights and efficiency: The economics of privacy as secrecy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
- Acquisti, A., & Varian, H. R. (2005). Conditioning prices on purchase history. Marketing Science, 24(3), 367–381.
- Akerlof, G. A. (1970). The market for ‘Lemons’: Quality uncertainty and the market mechanism. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 84(3), 488–500. CrossRef
- Calzolari, G., & Pavan, A. (2004). On the optimality of privacy in sequential contracting, Unpublished manuscript. Northwestern University.
- Coase, R. (1960). The problem of social cost. Journal of Law and Economics, 3(1), 1–44. CrossRef
- Grossman, S. J. (1981). The informational role of warranties and private disclosure about product quality. Journal of Law & Economics, 24(3), 461–483. CrossRef
- Hermalin, B. E., & Katz, A. W. (2006). The law & economics of contracts. In: A. M. Polinsky and S. Shavell (eds.), The Handbook of law and economics. Amsterdam: North-Holland (in press).
- Hirshleifer, J. (1971). The private and social value of information and the reward to inventive activity. The American Economic Review, 61(4), 561–574.
- Hirshleifer, J. (1980). Privacy: Its origin, function, and future. The Journal of Legal Studies, 9(4), 649–664. CrossRef
- Kahn, C. M., McAndrews, J., & Roberds, W. (2000). A theory of transactions privacy. Working Paper 2000–22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Katz, M. L. (1983). Non-uniform pricing, output and welfare under monopoly. Review of Economic Studies, L, 37–56.
- Levin, J. (2001). Information and the market for lemons. RAND Journal of Economics, 32, 657–666. CrossRef
- Lipsey, R. G., & Lancaster, K. (1956). The general theory of second best. Review of Economic Studies, 24, 11–32. CrossRef
- Milgrom, P. R. (1981). Good news and bad news: Representation theorems and applications. The Bell Journal of Economics, 12, 380–391. CrossRef
- Milgrom, P. R., & Roberts, J. (1990). Rationalizability, learning, and equilibrium in games with strategic complementarities. Econometrica, 58, 1255–1277. CrossRef
- Mirrlees, J. (1971). An exploration in the theory of optimal income taxation. Review of Economic Studies, 38, 175–208. CrossRef
- Murphy, R. S. (1996). Property rights in personal information: An economic defense of privacy. Georgetown Law Journal, 84, 2381–2417.
- Odlyzko, A. (2003). Privacy, economics, and price discrimination on the internet. ACM, Fifth International Conference on Electronic Commerce.
- Posner, R. A. (1981). The economics of privacy. American Economic Review, 71(2), 405–409.
- Shapiro, C., & Varian, H. R. (1997). US government information policy. Unpublished manuscript, University of CaliforniaBerkeley.
- Spence, A. M. (1980). Multi-product quantity-dependent prices and profitability constraints. Review of Economic Studies, 47, 821–841. CrossRef
- Stigler, G. J. (1980). An introduction to privacy in economics and politics. The Journal of Legal Studies, 9(4), 623–644. CrossRef
- Smith, M. S. (2003). Internet privacy: Overview and pending legislation. Report for Congress, Congressional Research Service, The Library of Congress, updated February 6, 2003.
- Taylor, C. R. (2004) Privacy and information acquisition in competitive markets. Unpublished manuscript, Duke University.
- Varian, H. R. (1989). Price discrimination. In: R. Schmalensee and R. Willig (eds.), Handbook of industrial organization, vol. 1. Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Varian, H. R. (1997). Economic aspects of personal privacy. In: Privacy and self-regulation in the information age. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Commerce.
- Wathieu, L. (2002) Privacy, exposure and price discrimination. Harvard Business School Marketing Research Papers, No. 02–03.
- Williamson, O. (1975). Markets and hierarchies: Analysis and antitrust implications. New York: The Free Press.
- Privacy, property rights and efficiency: The economics of privacy as secrecy
Quantitative Marketing and Economics
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 209-239
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Property rights
- Personal data
- Asymmetric information
- Industry Sectors