Positive solutions for second-order superlinear repulsive singular Neumann boundary value problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we establish the multiplicity of positive solutions to second-order superlinear repulsive singular Neumann boundary value problems. It is proved that such a problem has at least two positive solutions under reasonable conditions. Our nonlinearity may be repulsive singular in its dependent variable and superlinear at infinity. The proof relies on a nonlinear alternative of Leray-Schauder type and on Krasnoselskii fixed point theorem on compression and expansion of cones.
- A. Cabada, L. Sanchez, A positive operator approach to the Neumann problem for a second order ordinary differential equation, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 204 (1996), 774–785.
- A. Cabada, R.L. Pouso, Existence result for the problem (ϕ(u′))′ = f(t, u, u′) with periodic and Neumann boundary conditions, Nonlinear Anal., 30 (1997), 1733–1742.
- A. Cabada, P. Habets, R.L. Pouso, Optimal existence conditions for ϕ-Laplacian equations with upper and lower solutions in the reversed order, J. Differ. Equ., 166 (2000), 385–401.
- A. Cabada, P. Habets, S. Lois, Monotone method for the Neumann problem with lower and upper solutions in the reverse order, Appl. Math. Comput., 117 (2001), 1–14.
- M. Cherpion, C. De Coster, P. Habets, A constructive monotone iterative method for second order BVP in the presence of lower and upper solutions, Appl. Math. Comput., 123 (2001), 75–91.
- J. Chu, Y. Sun, H. Chen, Positive solutions of Neumann problems with singularities, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 337 (2008), 1267–1272.
- H. Dang, S.F. Oppenheimer, Existence and uniqueness results for some nonlinear boundary value problems, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 198 (1996), 35–48.
- K. Deimling, Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Springer, New York (1985).
- Y. Dong, A Neumann problem at resonance with the nonlinearity restricted in one direction, Nonlinear Anal., 51 (2002), 739–747.
- L.H. Erbe, H. Wang, On the existence of positive solutions of ordinary differential equations, Proc. Am. Math. Soc., 120 (1994), 743–748.
- D. Jiang, H. Liu, Existence of positive solutions to second order Neumann boundary value problem, J. Math. Res. Expos., 20 (2000), 360–364.
- D. Jiang, J. Chu, D. O’Regan, R.P. Agarwal, Multiple positive solutions to superlinear periodic boundary value problems with repulsive singular forces, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 286 (2003), 563–576.
- R. Ma, Existence of positive radial solutions for elliptic systems, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 201 (1996), 375–386.
- I. Rachůnková, S. Staňek, Topological degree method in functional boundary value problems at resonance, Nonlinear Anal., 27 (1996), 271–285.
- I. Rachůnková, Upper and lower solutions with inverse inequality, Ann. Polon. Math., 65 (1997), 235–244.
- J. Sun, W. Li, Multiple positive solutions to second order Neumann boundary value problems, Appl. Math. Comput., 146 (2003), 187–194.
- N. Yazidi, Monotone method for singular Neumann problem, Nonlinear Anal., 49 (2002), 589–602.
- Positive solutions for second-order superlinear repulsive singular Neumann boundary value problems
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 555-569
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Birkhäuser Verlag Basel
- Additional Links
- repulsive singular
- Neumann boundary value problems
- positive solutions
- leray-Schauder alternative
- fixed point theorem in cones
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Science, Hohai University, Nanjing, 210098, China
- 2. School of Mathematics and Statistics, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, 130024, China
- 3. Department of Mathematics, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
- 4. Department of Mathematical Sciences, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Florida, 32901, USA