The IAEA, the NPT and the VIII NPT Review Conference
- Jorge Morales Pedraza
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Since the end of World War II the international community has been building, step by step and with many difficulties, the nuclear weapon non-proliferation regime. The purpose of this regime is the prevention of the proliferation of this type of weaponry and to achieve, as one of their final goal, the complete elimination of all nuclear weapons and the closure of all nuclear weapon production facilities or the conversion of these facilities for their exclusively use with peaceful purposes in the future. Despite all efforts made by the majority of the international community, the world still is far from achieving this important objective. This article offers to the international community a group of actions for the strengthening of the nuclear weapon non-proliferation regime and for the beginning of multilateral negotiations towards nuclear disarmament.
- Applegarth, C. and Tyson, R. (2005). Major proposals to strengthen the nuclear non-proliferation treaty. A resource guide. Arms Control Association and Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom. pp 5, 15 and 17.
- Morales Pedraza, J. (2005). The proliferation of nuclear weapons: Myth or reality. IAEA Web-page; IAEA Bulletin Number 46/2. p 18.
- Morales Pedraza, J. (2009). Nuclear disarmament: concepts, principles and actions for strengthening the non-proliferation regimes. New York: Nova Science. pp 76–85, 173, and 178.
- Rauf, T. (2007). The long road to a nuke- free world. IAEA Bulletin 49/1. p 15.
- Squassoni, S. (2009). Grading progress on 13 steps toward disarmament. Carnegie Endowment Non-proliferation Program. p 4.
- The United Nations Disarmament Yearbook (2007). New York: Office for Disarmament Affairs, United Nations. Volume 31, 2006; 2007. p 9.
- Weapons of terror: Freeing the world of nuclear, biological, and chemical arms; Weapons of Mass Destruction Commission, final report, Stockholm, Sweden (2006). pp 23 and 25.
- Review conference of the parties to the treaty on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapon (2000). NPT/CONF.2000/28 (Parts I and II); United Nations, New York, USA. pp 2–29.
- Review conference of the parties to the treaty on the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons (2010). NPT/CONF.2010/50. New York: United Nations. pp 19, 21, 22, 24, and 27.
- The IAEA, the NPT and the VIII NPT Review Conference
Public Organization Review
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 305-322
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Nuclear weapon non-proliferation
- Nuclear weapons
- Peaceful nuclear explosions
- NPT review conferences
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Independent Consultant on International Affairs, Vienna, Austria