Numerical analysis and visualization of fine structures of the fields of two-dimensional attached internal waves
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the linear approximation, we compute the patterns of two-dimensional perturbations formed in a viscous exponentially stratified fluid in the process of motion of a plate at an arbitrary angle to the horizon. The exact solution of the problem obtained in quadratures and satisfying the physically meaningful boundary conditions is numerically analyzed. The properties of the fields are computed and described in broad ranges of all parameters of the problem, including the length and velocity of motion of the plate, the characteristics of stratification and viscosity of the medium, and the slope of the path. In the picture of currents, we distinguish two groups of waves and compact nonwave singularities near the edges of a source of generation. The results of comparison with the available data of independently performed calculations and experiments reveal the existing agreement between the computed and observed pictures of the currents.
- J. Lighthill, Waves in Fluids, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (1978).
- V. E. Veden’kov, G. V. Smirnov, and T. N. Borisov, Dynamics of Surface and Internal Ship-Induced Waves [in Russian], Dal’nauka, Vladivostok (1999).
- C. J. Nappo, An Introduction to Atmospheric Gravity Waves, Academic Press, Amsterdam (2002).
- V. N. Kudryavtsev and V. V. Malinovskii, “On the influence of internal waves on radar signals for small grazing angles,” Morsk. Gidrofiz. Zh., No. 6, 3–9 (1988).
- S. A. Smirnov and Yu. D. Chashechkin, “Leeward (attached) internal waves for any orientation of the incident flow,” Izv. Ros. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmosf. Okean., 34, No. 4, 528–536 (1998).
- M. M. Scase and S. B. Dalziel, “A theoretical and experimental investigation into internal waves generated by a translating body,” in: Yu. D. Chashechkin and V. G. Baydulov (Eds.), Fluxes and Structures in Fluids, Selected Papers, Institute for Problems in Mechanics of the RAS, Moscow (2006), pp. 289–295.
- M. M. Scase and S. B. Dalziel, “Internal wave fields generated by a translating body in a stratified fluid: an experimental comparison,” J. Fluid Mech., 564, 305–331 (2006). CrossRef
- R. N. Bardakov and Yu. D. Chashechkin, “Numerical analysis and visualization of two-dimensional attached internal waves in a viscous exponentially stratified fluid,” Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmosf. Okean., 40, No. 4, 553–565 (2004).
- R. N. Bardakov, V. V. Mitkin, and Yu. D. Chashechkin, “Fine structure of stratified currents near the plate,” Prikl. Mekh. Tekh. Fiz., 48, No. 6, 77–91 (2007).
- S. A. Lomov, Introduction to the General Theory of Singular Perturbations, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (1992).
- Numerical analysis and visualization of fine structures of the fields of two-dimensional attached internal waves
Volume 20, Issue 6 , pp 397-409
- Cover Date
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links