Leaf area estimation of sunflower leaves from simple linear measurements
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Simple, accurate, and non-destructive methods for determining leaf area (LA) of plants are important for many experimental comparisons. Determining the individual LA of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) involves measurements of leaf parameters such as length (L) and width (W), or some combinations of these parameters. Two field experiments were carried out during 2003 and 2004 to compare predictive equations of sunflower LAs using simple linear measurements. Regression analyses of LA vs. L and W revealed several equations that could be used for estimating the area of individual sunflower leaves. A linear equation having W2 as the independent variable provided the most accurate estimate (r 2 = 0.98, MSE = 985) of sunflower LA. Validation of the equation having W2 of leaves measured in the 2004 experiment showed that the correlation between calculated and measured areas was very high.
- Dent, J.B., Blackie, M.J.: Systems Simulation in Agriculture.-Applied Science Publishers, London 1979.
- De Swart, E.A.M., Groenwold, R., Kanne, H.J., Stam, P., Marcelis, L.F.M., Voorrips, R.E.: Non-destructive estimation of leaf area for different plant ages and accessions of Capsicum annuum L.-J. hort. Sci. Biotechnol. 79: 764–770, 2004.
- Goudriaan, J., Van Laar, H.H.: Modelling Potential Crop Growth Processes.-Kluwer Academic Publ., Dordrecht 1994.
- Kvet, J., Marshall, J.K.: Assessment of leaf area and other assimilating plant surfaces.-In: Šesták, Z., Čatský, J., Jarvis, P.G. (ed.): Plant Photosynthetic Production. Manual of Methods. Pp. 517–555. Dr W. Junk N.V. Publ., The Hague 1971.
- Lu, H.-Y., Lu, C.-T., Wei, M.-L., Chan, L.-F.: Comparison of different models for non-destructive leaf area estimation in taro.-Agron. J. 96: 448–453, 2004. CrossRef
- McKee, G.W.: A coefficient for computing leaf area in hybrid corn.-Agron. J. 56: 240–241, 1964. CrossRef
- Montero, F.J., de Juan, J.A., Cuesta, A., Brasa, A.: Nondestructive method to estimate leaf area in Vitis vinifera L.-HortScience 35: 696–698, 2000.
- Robbins, N.S., Pharr, D.M.: Leaf area prediction models for cucumber from linear measurements.-HortScience 22: 1264–1266, 1987.
- Rouphael, Y., Rivera, C.M., Cardarelli, M., Fanasca, S., Colla, G.: Leaf area estimation from linear measurements in zucchini plants of different ages.-J. hort. Sci. Biotechnol. 81: 238–241, 2006.
- Schwarz, D., Kläring, H.-P.: Allometry to estimate leaf area of tomato.-J. Plant Nutr. 24: 1291–1309, 2001. CrossRef
- Serdar, U., Demirsoy, H.: Non-destructive leaf area estimation in chestnut.-Sci. Hort. 108: 227–230, 2006. CrossRef
- Stewart, D.W., Dwyer, L.M.: Mathematical characterization of leaf shape and area in maize hybrids.-Crop Sci. 39: 422–427, 1999. CrossRef
- Tsialtas, J.T., Maslaris, N.: Leaf area estimation in a sugar beet cultivar by linear models.-Photosynthetica 43: 477–479, 2005. CrossRef
- Wiersma, J.V., Bailey, T.B.: Estimation of leaflet, trifoliate, and total leaf areas of soybean.-Agron. J. 67: 26–30, 1975. CrossRef
- Leaf area estimation of sunflower leaves from simple linear measurements
Volume 45, Issue 2 , pp 306-308
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Consultants Bureau
- Additional Links
- Helianthus annuus L
- leaf parameters
- non-destructive methods
- Industry Sectors