Keith Lehrer on the basing relation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, we review Keith Lehrer’s account of the basing relation, with particular attention to the two cases he offered in support of his theory, Raco (Lehrer, Theory of knowledge, 1990; Theory of knowledge, (2nd ed.), 2000) and the earlier case of the superstitious lawyer (Lehrer, The Journal of Philosophy, 68, 311–313, 1971). We show that Lehrer’s examples succeed in making his case that beliefs need not be based on the evidence, in order to be justified. These cases show that it is the justification (rather than the belief) that must be based in the evidence. We compare Lehrer’s account of basing with some alternative accounts that have been offered, and show why Lehrer’s own account is more plausible.
- Audi, R. (1983). The causal structure of indirect justification. The Journal of Philosophy, 80, 398–415. CrossRef
- Goldman, A. I. (1979). What is justified belief? In G. Pappas (Ed.), Justification and knowledge (pp. 1–23). Dordrecht: Reidel. CrossRef
- Harman, G. (1970). Knowledge, reasons, and causes. The Journal of Philosophy, 67, 841–855. CrossRef
- Harman, G. (1973). Thought. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Kvanvig, J. (1985). Swain on the basing relation. Analysis, 45, 153–158. CrossRef
- Lehrer, K. (1964–1965). Knowledge, truth and evidence. Analysis, 25, 168–175.
- Lehrer, K. (1971). How reasons give us knowledge, or the case of the gypsy lawyer. The Journal of Philosophy, 68, 311–313. CrossRef
- Lehrer, K. (1990). Theory of knowledge. Boulder: Westview Press.
- Lehrer, K. (2000). Theory of knowledge (2nd ed.). Boulder: Westview Press.
- Olsson, E. J. (Ed.). (2003). The epistemology of Keith Lehrer. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Swain, M. (1981). Reasons and knowledge. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Tolliver, J. (1982). Basing beliefs on reasons. Grazer Philosophische Studien, 15, 149–161.
- Keith Lehrer on the basing relation
Volume 161, Issue 1 , pp 27-36
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links