Why Parfit did not go far enough
- Douglas Ehring
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Parfit has argued for the revolutionary thesis that personal identity does not matter in ordinary survival, only the R-relation does. “Reconciliationists,” such as Lewis, have tried to stop this revolution, arguing that both personal identity and the R-relation matter. The disagreement has been between those who hold that only the R-relation matters and those who hold that, in addition, personal identity matters. But there is a third option. I argue that Parfit is right that personal identity does not matter but he is wrong that the R-relation matters, and the reconciliationists are wrong to think both matter since neither does.
- Ehring, D. (1987). Survival and trivial facts. Analysis, 47, 50–54. CrossRef
- Ehring, D. (1995). Personal identity and the R-relation: Reconciliation through cohabitation. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 73, 337–346. CrossRef
- Ehring, D. (1998). Fission, fusion and the Parfit revolution. Philosophical Studies, 94, 329–332. CrossRef
- Johansson, J. (2010). Parfit on fission. Philosophical Studies, 150, 21–35. CrossRef
- Lewis, D. (1976). Survival and identity. In A. Rorty (Ed.), The identities of persons. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Maddy, P. (1979). Is the importance of identity derivative? Philosophical Studies, 35, 151–170. CrossRef
- Mills, E. (1993). Dividing without reducing: Bodily fission and personal identity. Mind, 102, 37–51. CrossRef
- Nozick, R. (1981). Philosophical explanations. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Parfit, D. (1975). Personal identity and survival. In J. Perry (Ed.), Personal identity. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Parfit, D. (1976). Lewis, Perry, and what matters. In A. Rorty (Ed.), The identities of persons. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Parfit, D. (1984). Reasons and persons. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Shoemaker, S. (1984). Personal identity: A materialist’s account. In S. Shoemaker & R. Swinburne (Eds.), Personal identity. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Sider, T. (1996). All the world’s a stage. Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 74, 433–453. CrossRef
- Sider, T. (2001). Four-dimensionalism. Oxford: Oxford University Press. CrossRef
- Why Parfit did not go far enough
Volume 165, Issue 1 , pp 133-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Personal identity
- R relation
- Douglas Ehring (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy Department, SMU, Dallas, TX, 75275, USA