Date: 19 Apr 2012
What is inference?
- Paul Boghossian
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An earlier version of this paper was presented as a talk at the Pacific Division Meeting of the APA in San Diego in April of 2011, with John Broome and Crispin Wright serving as commentators. I am very grateful to the members of that audience, as well as to audiences at the Universities of Cambridge and Geneva, and to David James Barnett, Sinan Dogramaci, and Paul Horwich for comments and feedback.
The author owes a very special debt of gratitude to his two distinguished commentators, not only for their feedback on this particular paper, but for conversations and writings that have greatly influenced his thinking on these issues. Crispin and the author have been discussing these topics for many years. More recently, the author have been greatly stimulated by conversations with John Broome and by reading bits of his manuscript in progress, Rationality Through Reasoning. As will be evident, the present paper is part of an extended dialogue with both of these philosophers.
- Boghossian, P. (1989a). Colour as secondary quality (Reprinted in Boghossian 2008b).
- Boghossian, P. (1989b). The rule-following considerations (Reprinted in Boghossian 2008b).
- Boghossian, P. (2003). Blind reasoning (Reprinted in Boghossian 2008b).
- Boghossian, P. (2008a). Epistemic rules (Reprinted in Boghossian 2008b).
- Boghossian, P (2008) Content and justification: Philosophical papers. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Broome, J. ms. Rationality through reasoning.
- Carroll, L (1895) What the tortoise said to achilles. Mind 4: pp. 278-280 CrossRef
- Dancy, J (2004) Ethics without principles. Clarendon Press, Oxford CrossRef
- Dogramaci, S. ms. Inferences to easy deductive consequences.
- Fodor, J (2008) LOT 2. Oxford University Press, Oxford CrossRef
- Frege, G. (1979). Logic. In Posthumous writings. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Harman, G. (1986). Change in view. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Kahneman, D. (2011). Thinking fast and slow. NY: Farrar, Strauss, Giroux.
- Kripke, S (1982) Wittgenstein on rules and private language. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Lenman, J. (2009). Reasons for action: Justification vs. explanation. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Pettit, P (2007) Rationality, reasoning and group agency. Dialectica 61: pp. 495-519
- Wright, C. (2001). Basic logical knowledge: Reflections on Paul Boghossian’s ‘How are objective epistemic reasons possible?’ Philosophical Studies, 106(1–2), 41–85.
- Wright, C. (2007). Rule following without reasons. Ratio, 20(4), 481–502.
- What is inference?
Volume 169, Issue 1 , pp 1-18
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Paul Boghossian (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. NYU, New York, NY, USA