Supervenience and infinitary property-forming operations
- Ralf M. Bader
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper provides an account of the closure conditions that apply to sets of subvening and supervening properties, showing that the criterion that determines under which property-forming operations a particular family of properties is closed is applicable both to the finitary and to the infinitary case. In particular, it will be established that, contra Glanzberg, infinitary operations do not give rise to any additional difficulties beyond those that arise in the finitary case.
- Bacon, J. (1986). Supervenience, necessary coextension, and reducibility. Philosophical Studies, 49, 163–176. CrossRef
- Barwise, J. (1973). Back and forth through infinitary logic. In M. Morley (Ed.), Studies in model theory (pp. 5–34). Buffalo, NY: The Mathematical Association of America.
- Currie, G. (1990). Supervenience, essentialism and aesthetic properties. Philosophical Studies, 58, 243–257. CrossRef
- Glanzberg, M. (2001). Supervenience and infinitary logic. Noûs, 35, 419–439. CrossRef
- Karp, C. (1965). Finite-quantifier equivalence. In J. W. Addison, L. Henkin and A. Tarski (Eds.), The Theory of Models (pp. 407–412). Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company.
- Keisler, H., & Knight, J. (2004). Barwise: infinitary logic and admissible sets. The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, 10, 4–36. CrossRef
- Kim, J. (1993). Supervenience and mind. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. CrossRef
- McLaughlin, B., & Bennett, K. (2005). Supervenience. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.), The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Oddie, G., & Tichý, P. (1990). Resplicing properties in the supervenience base. Philosophical Studies, 58, 259–269. CrossRef
- Van Cleve, J. (1990). Supervenience and closure. Philosophical Studies, 58, 225–238. CrossRef
- Supervenience and infinitary property-forming operations
Volume 160, Issue 3 , pp 415-423
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Closure conditions
- Infinitary logic
- Ralf M. Bader (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, New York University, 5 Washington Place, New York, NY, 10003, USA