Sosa on easy knowledge and the problem of the criterion
- James Van Cleve
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sosa’s Reflective Knowledge (2009) is enlightening, penetrating, and far too rich to be engaged with in its entirety here. I have chosen to focus on the final chapter, in which Sosa draws upon various of the distinctions and doctrines from earlier chapters to address the Problem of Easy Knowledge and the Problem of the Criterion. Although our symposium is entitled “Author Meets Critics,” my own contribution might more aptly be entitled “Author Meets Querist,” as what I offer is an exposition of Sosa along with a sprinkling of questions about whether I have understood things correctly and how things might be developed further.
The problem of easy knowledge
The Problem of easy knowledge, as articulated in Cohen (2002), may be set out as a dilemma that arises depending on the stance we take on the following thesis:
KRel: A potential knowledge source K can yield knowledge for S only if S knows that K is reliable.
- Chisholm, R (1973) The problem of the criterion. Marquette University Press, Milwaukee
- Chisholm, R (1977) Theory of knowledge. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs
- Cohen, S (2002) Basic knowledge and the problem of easy knowledge. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 65: pp. 309-329 CrossRef
- Gewirth, A (1941) The cartesian circle. The Philosophical Review 50: pp. 368-395 CrossRef
- Pollock, J (1974) Knowledge and justification. Princeton University Press, Princeton
- Pryor, J (2000) The skeptic and the dogmatist. Nous 34: pp. 517-549 CrossRef
- Reid, T. (1785/2002). In D. R. Brookes (Ed.), Essays on the intellectual powers of man. University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University Press.
- Sosa, E (2009) Reflective knowledge. Clarendon Press, Oxford
- Titelbaum, M (2010) Tell me you love me: Bootstrapping, externalism, and no-lose epistemology. Philosophical Studies 149: pp. 119-134 CrossRef
- Vogel, J (2000) Reliabilism leveled. The Journal of Philosophy 97: pp. 602-623 CrossRef
- White, R. (2006). Problems for dogmatism. Philosophical Studies, 131, 525–557.
- Sosa on easy knowledge and the problem of the criterion
Volume 153, Issue 1 , pp 19-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Easy knowledge
- Problem of the criterion
- Prima facie reason
- James Van Cleve (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Philosophy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA