Propositional structure and truth conditions
- Michael McGlone
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents an account of the manner in which a proposition’s immediate structural features are related to its core truth-conditional features. The leading idea is that for a proposition to have a certain immediate structure is just for certain entities to play certain roles in the correct theory of the brute facts regarding that proposition’s truth conditions. The paper explains how this account addresses certain worries and questions recently raised by Jeffery King and Scott Soames.
- Church, A. (1984). Russell’s theory of identity of propositions. Philosophica Naturalis, 24, 513–522.
- Deutsch, H. (2008). Review of Jeffery C. King’s The nature and structure of content. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=13165#_edn8.
- Frege, G. (1977). Compound thoughts. In P. T. Geach, (Ed.), Logical investigations. Boston: Yale University Press. Originally published in 1923.
- King, J. (2007). The nature and structure of content. New York: Oxford University Press.
- King, J. (2009). Questions of unity. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society (Hardback) (Vol. CIX, Part 3, pp. 257–277).
- Russell, B. (1996). The principles of mathematics. New York: Norton. Originally published in 1903.
- Salmon, N. (1989). Tense and singular propositions. In J. Almog, J. Perry, & H. Wettstein (Eds.), Themes from Kaplan (pp. 331–392). New York: Oxford.
- Soames, S. (2008). The unity of the proposition. Unpublished manuscript.
- Soames, S. (2010). What is meaning? Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Urquhart, A. (2003). The theory of types. In The Cambridge companion to Bertrand Russell (pp. 286–309). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Propositional structure and truth conditions
Volume 157, Issue 2 , pp 211-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Propositional structure
- Truth conditions
- Unity of the proposition
- Michael McGlone (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University at Buffalo, SUNY, 113 Park Hall, North Campus, Buffalo, NY, 14260, USA