Experimental philosophy and philosophical intuition
- Ernest Sosa
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The topic is experimental philosophy as a naturalistic movement, and its bearing on the value of intuitions in philosophy. This paper explores first how the movement might bear on philosophy more generally, and how it might amount to something novel and promising. Then it turns to one accomplishment repeatedly claimed for it already: namely, the discrediting of armchair intuitions as used in philosophy.
- Beyer, C., & Burri, A. (2007). Intuitions: Their nature and epistemic efficacy. Grazer Philosophische Studien. Philosophical Knowledge - Its Possibility and Scope [Special issue].
- Bishop, M., & Murphy, D. (Eds.) (2007). A defense of intuitions. In Stich and his critics. Oxford and Boston: Blackwell Publishers. Available at http://homepage.mac.com/ernestsosa/Menu2.html.
- Bishop, M. A., & Trout, J. D. (2005). Epistemology and the psychology of human judgment (p. 107). Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.
- DePaul, M., & Ramsey, W. (Eds.) (1998). Minimal intuition. In Rethinking intuition. New Jersey: Rowman&Littlefield.
- Greenough, P., & Lynch, M. (Eds.) (2006). Intuitions and truth. In Truth and realism. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.
- Knobe, J. (forthcoming). The concept of intentional action: A case study in the uses of folk psychology. Philosophical Studies.
- Knobe, J., & Nichols, S. (forthcoming). Moral responsibility and determinism: The cognitive science of folk intuitions. Nous.
- Nahmias, E., Morris, S., Nadelhoffer, T., & Turner, J. (forthcoming). Is incompatibilism intuitive? Philosophy and Phenomenological Research.
- Nichols, S. (2002). Norms with feeling: Towards a psychological account of moral judgment. Cognition, 84, 221–236. CrossRef
- Sosa, E. (2007). A virtue epistemology: Apt belief and reflective knowledge, Vol. 1. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.
- Swain, S., Alexander, J., & Weinberg, J. M. The instability of philosophical intuitions: Running hot and cold on Truetemp. (in preparation) Available at http://www.indiana.edu/∼eel/.
- Experimental philosophy and philosophical intuition
Volume 132, Issue 1 , pp 99-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Experimental philosophy
- Ernest Sosa (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy, Brown University, Box 1918, Providence, RI, 02912, USA