Book review of Maxine Sheets-Johnstone’s The Roots of Morality
- Benedict Smith
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Roots of Morality is Maxine Sheets-Johnstone’s third book in a trio of Roots… books. The first was the The Roots of Thinking (1990), and the second The Roots of Power: Animate Form and Gendered Bodies (1994). Like her other work, The Roots of Morality makes use of an unusually wide range of sources and philosophical perspectives. The aim of the book is to elucidate ‘an understanding of morality grounded in the nature of human nature’. To achieve this, Sheets-Johnstone seeks to examine the ‘fundamental realities of human nature’ and to articulate a ‘foundationalist morality’—a framework that identifies and explores ‘pan-cultural aspects of human existence’ (p.1).
The book is divided into two parts with the first focused on what is usually considered the ‘dark side of human nature’. Topics in this part include power, death, ‘real male–male competition’ and evil. The book moves in part II to discuss what is usually considered the more ‘positive side’ of human nature; the chapters focus ...
- Drummond, J., & Embree, L. (Eds.). (2002). Phenomenological approaches to moral philosophy: A handbook. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Horgan, T., & Timmons, M. (2005). Moral phenomenology and moral theory. Philosophical Issues, 15, 56–77. CrossRef
- Horgan, T., & Timmons, M. (2008). What can moral phenomenology tell us about moral objectivity? Social Philosophy and Policy, 25, 267–300. CrossRef
- Levinas, E. (1986). Dialogue with Levinas. In R. Cohen (Ed.), Face to face with Levinas. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Sheets-Johnstone, M. (1990). The roots of thinking. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Sheets-Johnstone, M. (1994). The roots of power: Animate form and gendered bodies. Chicago: Open Court Publishing.
- Book review of Maxine Sheets-Johnstone’s The Roots of Morality
Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 419-422
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Benedict Smith (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Durham University, 50 Old Elvet, Durham, DH1 3HN, UK