What is ‘pharmaceutical care’ in 2013?
Since 1990, the question ‘What is pharmaceutical care’ was usually answered with Hepler and Strand’s definition: “Pharmaceutical care is the responsible provision of drug therapy for the purpose of achieving definite outcomes that improve a patient’s quality of life” . Nonetheless, already since 1990 some debate existed about different elements in this definition, and also different understandings on how this definition links in with the professional mission of the pharmacist.
In further statements, consensus meetings, or position papers, attempts were made to clarify the controversies around the definition. More than 20 years should be enough to analyse the definition and its different elements in depth, and (why not) even the term. But questions still remain. In this joint editorial, we cannot provide solutions but we can formulate some questions that may help in the clarification process.
Does “the responsible provision of drug therapy” mean that pharmaceutical care is necessarily ...
- Hepler CD, Strand LM. Opportunities and responsibilities in pharmaceutical care. Am J Hosp Pharm. 1990;47(3):533–43.
- The Lewin Group. Medication therapy management services: a critical review. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2005;45(5):580–7. CrossRef
- Donabedian A. The quality of medical care. Science. 1978;200(4344):856–64. CrossRef
- Kozma CM, Reeder CE, Schulz RM. Economic, clinical, and humanistic outcomes: a planning model for pharmacoeconomic research. Clin Ther. 1993;15(6):1121–32.
- van Mil JWF. Can the grocer provide pharmaceutical care? Pharm World Sci. 2003;25:183. CrossRef
- Weinberger M, Murray MD, Marrero DG, Brewer N, Lykens M, Harris LE, Seshadri R, Caffrey H, Roesner JF, Smith F, Newell AJ, Collins JC, McDonald CJ, Tierney WM. Effectiveness of pharmacist care for patients with reactive airways disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002;288(13):1594–602. CrossRef
- Charrois TL, Zolezzi M, Koshman SL, Pearson G, Makowsky M, Durec T, Tsuyuki RT. A systematic review of the evidence for pharmacist care of patients with dyslipidemia. Pharmacotherapy. 2012;32(3):222–33. CrossRef
- Cinque MP, American Pharmacists Association. A time for change. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2002;42(5):676. CrossRef
- What is ‘pharmaceutical care’ in 2013?
International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 1-2
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links