Use of anticoagulation therapy for jugular vein thrombus in pediatric patients with Lemierre’s syndrome
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Background Lemierre’s syndrome is a rare condition involving septic thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular vein secondary to an acute oropharyngeal infection. The low incidence and prevalence of Lemierre’s syndrome contribute to the many controversies pertaining to its therapeutic management, one of which is the use of anticoagulation for associated internal jugular vein thrombus. Case description A previously healthy 5-year-old male admitted with left internal jugular vein thrombosis associated with Lemierre’s syndrome was placed on appropriate antibiotics and anticoagulation therapy with enoxaparin. 3 weeks post-discharge, patient was found to be in good condition and a magnetic resonance angiography showed persistent occlusion of the left internal jugular vein. Conclusion Anticoagulation therapy for internal jugular vein thrombosis associated with Lemierre’s syndrome remains a controversy. In the absence of any contraindication or presumed risk, anticoagulation therapy should be considered in high risk patients.
- Ridgway JM, Parikh DA, Wright R, Holden P, Armstrong W, Camilon F, et al. Lemierre syndrome: a pediatric case series and review of literature. Am J Otolaryngol. 2010;31(1):38–45. CrossRef
- Chirinos JA, Lichtstein DM, Garcia J, Tamariz LJ. The evolution of Lemierre syndrome. Medicine. 2002;81(6):458–65. CrossRef
- LexiComp. Enoxaparin (Pediatric and Neonatal Lexi-Drugs) [www.lexi.com]. No date [cited 2012 Jul 21]. Available from: http://online.lexi.com.libproxy.lib.unc.edu/lco/action/doc/retrieve/docid/pdh_f/129858.
- O’Brien TW, Cohen AR. Lemierre’s syndrome. Applied Radiology. 2011 [cited 2012 Jul 21];40(1). Available from: http://www.appliedradiology.com/Issues/2011/01/Cases/Lemierre’s-syndrome.aspx.
- Goldhagen J, Alford BA, Prewitt LH, Thompson L, Hostetter MK. Suppurative thrombophlebitiss of the internal jugular vein: report of three cases and review of the pediatric literature. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1988;7(6):410–4. CrossRef
- Vandenberg SJ, Hartig GK. Lemierre’s syndrome. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1998;119(5):516–8. CrossRef
- Moore B, Dekle C, Werkhaven T. Bilateral Lemierre’s syndrome: a case report and literature review. Ear Nose Throat J. 2002;81(4):234–45.
- Young BJ, Steele RW. A teenager with sore throat and neck pain. Clin Pediatr. 2010;49(11):1088–9. CrossRef
- Screaton NJ, Ravenel JG, Lehner PJ, Heitzman ER, Flower CD. Lemierre syndrome: forgotten but not extinct—report of four cases. Radiology. 1999;213(2):369–74.
- Vargiami EG, Farmaki E, Tasiopoulou D, Zafeririou DI, Badouraki M, Anastasiou A, et al. A patient with Lemierre syndrome. Eur J Pediatr. 2010;169(4):491–3. CrossRef
- Lakshminarayana PH, Woodske ME. Case report: a unique case of Lemierre syndrome associated with thrombophilia in an adult and the role of anticoagulation. Case Rep Med 2010;1–4.
- Aspesberro F, Siebler T, Van Nieuwenhuyse JP, Panosetti E, Berthet F. Lemierre syndrome in a 5-month-old male infant: case report and review of the pediatric literature. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2008;9(5):e35–7. CrossRef
- Goldenberg NA, Knapp-Clevenger R, Hays T, Manco-Johnson MJ. Lemierre’s and Lemierre’s-like syndromes in children: survival and thromboembolic outcomes. Pediatrics. 2005;116(4):e543–8. CrossRef
- Monagle P, Chan AK, Goldenberg NA, Ichord RN, Journeycake JM, Nowak-Göttl U, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in neonates and children: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2012;141(2 Suppl):e737S–801S. CrossRef
- Use of anticoagulation therapy for jugular vein thrombus in pediatric patients with Lemierre’s syndrome
International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy
Volume 34, Issue 6 , pp 818-821
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Jugular vein thrombus
- Lemierre’s syndrome
- Industry Sectors