Stabilization of a Supersaturated Solution of Mefenamic Acid from a Solid Dispersion with EUDRAGIT® EPO
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The stabilization mechanism of a supersaturated solution of mefenamic acid (MFA) from a solid dispersion with EUDRAGIT® EPO (EPO) was investigated.
The solid dispersions were prepared by cryogenic grinding method. Powder X-ray diffractometry, in vitro dissolution test, in vivo oral absorption study, infrared spectroscopy, and solid- and solution-state NMR spectroscopies were used to characterize the solid dispersions.
Dissolution tests in acetate buffer (pH 5.5) revealed that solid dispersion showed > 200-fold higher concentration of MFA. Supersaturated solution was stable over 1 month and exhibited improved oral bioavailability of MFA in rats, with a 7.8-fold higher area under the plasma concentration-versus-time curve. Solid-state 1H spin–lattice relaxation time (T1) measurement showed that MFA was almost monomolecularly dispersed in the EPO polymer matrix. Intermolecular interaction between MFA and EPO was indicated by solid-state infrared and 13C-T1 measurements. Solution-state 1H-NMR measurement demonstrated that MFA existed in monomolecular state in supersaturated solution. 1H-T1 and difference nuclear Overhauser effect measurements indicated that cross relaxation occurred between MFA and EPO due to the small distance between them.
The formation and high stability of the supersaturated solution were attributable to the specifically formed intermolecular interactions between MFA and EPO.
- Venkatesh S, Lipper RA. Role of the development scientist in compound lead selection and optimization. J Pharm Sci. 2000;89(2):145–54. CrossRef
- Yu LX, Amidon GL, Polli JE, Zhao H, Mehta MU, Conner DP, Shah VP, Lesko LJ, Chen ML, Lee VH, Hussain AS. Biopharmaceutics classification system: the scientific basis for biowaiver extensions. Pharm Res. 2002;19(7):921–5. CrossRef
- Shiraki K, Takata N, Takano R, Hayashi Y, Terada K. Dissolution improvement and the mechanism of the improvement from cocrystallization of poorly water-soluble compounds. Pharm Res. 2008;25(11):2581–92. CrossRef
- Higashi K, Tozuka Y, Moribe K, Yamamoto K. Salicylic acid/gamma-cyclodextrin 2:1 and 4:1 complex formation by sealed-heating method. J Pharm Sci. 2010;99(10):4192–200. CrossRef
- Higashi K, Ideura S, Waraya H, Moribe K, Yamamoto K. Incorporation of salicylic acid molecules into the intermolecular spaces of γ-cyclodextrin-polypseudorotaxane. Cryst Growth Des. 2009;9(10):4243–6. CrossRef
- Itoh K, Matsui S, Tozuka Y, Oguchi T, Yamamoto K. Improvement of physicochemical properties of N-4472. Part II: characterization of N-4472 microemulsion and the enhanced oral absorption. Int J Pharm. 2002;246(1-2):75–83. CrossRef
- Moribe K, Fukino M, Tozuka Y, Higashi K, Yamamoto K. Prednisolone multicomponent nanoparticle preparation by aerosol solvent extraction system. Int J Pharm. 2009;380(1–2):201–5. CrossRef
- Wanawongthai C, Pongpeerapat A, Higashi K, Tozuka Y, Moribe K, Yamamoto K. Nanoparticle formation from probucol/PVP/sodium alkyl sulfate co-ground mixture. Int J Pharm. 2009;376(1–2):169–75. CrossRef
- Tam JM, McConville JT, Williams 3rd RO, Johnston KP. Amorphous cyclosporin nanodispersions for enhanced pulmonary deposition and dissolution. J Pharm Sci. 2008;97(11):4915–33. CrossRef
- Hancock BC, Zografi G. Characteristics and significance of the amorphous state in pharmaceutical systems. J Pharm Sci. 1997;86(1):1–12. CrossRef
- Chokshi RJ, Sandhu HK, Iyer RM, Shah NH, Malick AW, Zia H. Characterization of physico-mechanical properties of indomethacin and polymers to assess their suitability for hot-melt extrusion processs as a means to manufacture solid dispersion/solution. J Pharm Sci. 2005;94(11):2463–74. CrossRef
- Sivert A, Berard V, Andres C. New binary solid dispersion of indomethacin with surfactant polymer: from physical characterization to in vitro dissolution enhancement. J Pharm Sci. 2010;99(3):1399–413. CrossRef
- Lakshman JP, Cao Y, Kowalski J, Serajuddin AT. Application of melt extrusion in the development of a physically and chemically stable high-energy amorphous solid dispersion of a poorly water-soluble drug. Mol Pharm. 2008;5(6):994–1002. CrossRef
- Friesen DT, Shanker R, Crew M, Smithey DT, Curatolo WJ, Nightingale JA. Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose acetate succinate-based spray-dried dispersions: an overview. Mol Pharm. 2008;5(6):1003–19. CrossRef
- Newa M, Bhandari KH, Li DX, Kwon TH, Kim JA, Yoo BK, Woo JS, Lyoo WS, Yong CS, Choi HG. Preparation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of ibuprofen binary solid dispersions with poloxamer 188. Int J Pharm. 2007;343(1–2):228–37. CrossRef
- Konno H, Handa T, Alonzo DE, Taylor LS. Effect of polymer type on the dissolution profile of amorphous solid dispersions containing felodipine. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;70(2):493–9. CrossRef
- Bothiraja C, Shinde MB, Rajalakshmi S, Pawar AP. Evaluation of molecular pharmaceutical and in-vivo properties of spray-dried isolated andrographolide-PVP. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2009;61(11):1465–72. CrossRef
- Vasconcelos T, Sarmento B, Costa P. Solid dispersions as strategy to improve oral bioavailability of poor water soluble drugs. Drug Discovery Today. 2007;12(23–24):1068–75. CrossRef
- Quinteros DA, Rigo VR, Kairuz AFJ, Olivera ME, Manzo RH, Allemandi DA. Interaction between a cationic polymethacrylate (Eudragit E100) and anionic drugs. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2008;33(1):72–9. CrossRef
- Mollica G, Geppi M, Pignatello R, Veracini CA. Molecular properties of flurbiprofen and its solid dispersions with Eudragit RL100 studied by high- and low-resolution solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance. Pharm Res. 2006;23(9):2129–40. CrossRef
- Geppi M, Guccione S, Mollica G, Pignatello R, Veracini CA. Molecular properties of ibuprofen and its solid dispersions with Eudragit RL100 studied by solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance. Pharm Res. 2005;22(9):1544–55. CrossRef
- Tishmack PA, Bugay DE, Byrn SR. Solid-state nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy–pharmaceutical applications. J Pharm Sci. 2003;92(3):441–74. CrossRef
- Pongpeerapat A, Higashi K, Tozuka Y, Moribe K, Yamamoto K. Molecular Interaction among Probucol/PVP/SDS Multicomponent System Investigated by Solid-State NMR. Pharm Res. 2006;23(11):2566–74. CrossRef
- Ito A, Watanabe T, Yada S, Hamaura T, Nakagami H, Higashi K, Moribe K, Yamamoto K. Prediction of recrystallization behavior of troglitazone/polyvinylpyrrolidone solid dispersion by solid-state NMR. Int J Pharm. 2010;383(1–2):18–23. CrossRef
- Aso Y, Yoshioka S, Zhang J, Zografi G. Effect of water on the molecular mobility of sucrose and poly(vinylpyrrolidone) in a colyophilized formulation as measured by (13)C-NMR relaxation time. Chem Pharm Bull. 2002;50(6):822–6. CrossRef
- Schantz S, Hoppu P, Juppo AM. A solid-state NMR study of phase structure, molecular interactions, and mobility in blends of citric acid and paracetamol. J Pharm Sci. 2009;98(5):1862–70. CrossRef
- Aso Y, Yoshioka S, Miyazaki T, Kawanishi T, Tanaka K, Kitamura S, Takakura A, Hayashi T, Muranushi N. Miscibility of nifedipine and hydrophilic polymers as measured by 1H-NMR spin– lattice relaxation. Chem Pharm Bull. 2007;55(8):1227–31. CrossRef
- Fukuda M, Kitaichi K, Abe F, Fujimoto Y, Takagi K, Takagi K, Morishima T, Hasegawa T. Altered brain penetration of diclofenac and mefenamic acid, but not acetaminophen, in shiga-like toxin II-treated mice. J Pharmacol Sci. 2005;97(4):525–32. CrossRef
- Qamar SIN, Ahmad M, Jamshaid M, Muzaffar NA. The bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of mefenamic acid in alloxan-diabetic rabbits. Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 1997;22:163–6.
- Torchia DA. The measurement of proton-enhanced carbon-13 T1 values by a method which suppresses artifacts. J Magn Reson. (1969). 1978;30(3):613-616.
- Raghavan SL, Trividic A, Davis AF, Hadgraft J. Crystallization of hydrocortisone acetate: influence of polymers. Int J Pharm. 2001;212(2):213–21. CrossRef
- Panchagnula R, Sundaramurthy P, Pillai O, Agrawal S, Raj YA. Solid-state characterization of mefenamic acid. J Pharm Sci. 2004;93(4):1019–29. CrossRef
- Gilpin RK, Zhou W. Infrared studies of the thermal conversion of mefenamic acid between polymorphic states. Vib Spectrosc. 2005;37:53–9. CrossRef
- Marsac PJ, Li Tonglei, Taylor LS. Estimation of drug-polymer miscibility and solubility in amorphous solid dispersions using experimentally determined interaction parameters. Pharm Res. 2009;26(1):139–51. CrossRef
- McBrierty VJ. N.m.r. of solid polymers: a review. Polymer. 1974;15(8):503–20. CrossRef
- McBrierty VJ, Douglass DC. Recent advances in the NMR of solid polymers. J Polym Sci Macromol Sci Rev. 1981;16(1):295–366. CrossRef
- Calucci L, Galleschi L, Geppi M, Mollica G. Structure and dynamics of flour by solid state NMR: effects of hydration and wheat aging. Biomacromol. 2004;5(4):1536–44. CrossRef
- Dokorou V, Ciunik Z, Russo U, Kovala-Demertzi D. Synthesis, crystal structures and spectroscopic studies of diorganotin derivatives with mefenamic acid. Crystal and molecular structures of 1,2:3,4-di-[mu]2-2-[(2,3-dimethylphenyl)amino]-benzoato-O,O-1,3-bis-2-[(-[(2,3-dimethylphenyl)amino]benzoato-O-1,2,4:2,3,4-di-[mu]3-oxo-tetrakis[di-methyltin(IV)] and 1,2:3,4-di-[mu]2-2-[(-[(-[(2,3-dimethylphenyl)amino]-benzoato-O,O-1,3-bis-2-[(-[(-[(2,3-dimethylphenyl)amino]benzoato-O-1,2,4:2,3,4-di-[mu]3-oxo-tetrakis[di-n-butyltin(IV)]. J Organomet Chem. 2001;630(2):205–14. CrossRef
- Separovic F, Chau HD, Burgar MI. Solid-state NMR study of aging of Colorbond polymer coating. Polymer. 2001;42(3):925–30. CrossRef
- Lim AR, Kim JH, Novak BM. Solid state 13C nuclear magnetic resonance for polyguanidines. Polymer. 2000;41(7):2431–8. CrossRef
- Luo H, Chen Q, Yang G, Xu D. Phase structure of ethylene-dimethylaminoethyl methacrylate copolymers and its relation to comonomer content as studied by solid-state high-resolution 13C n.m.r. spectroscopy. Polymer. 1998;39(12):943–7. CrossRef
- Aso Y, Yoshioka S. Molecular mobility of nifedipine–PVP and phenobarbital–PVP solid dispersions as measured by 13C-NMR spin-lattice relaxation time. J Pharm Sci. 2006;95(2):318–25. CrossRef
- Heald CR, Stolnik S, Kujawinski KS, De Matteis C, Garnett MC, Illum L, Davis SS, Purkiss SC, Barlow RJ, Gellert PR. Poly(lactic acid)−Poly(ethylene oxide) (PLA−PEG) Nanoparticles: NMR Studies of the Central Solidlike PLA Core and the Liquid PEG Corona. Langmuir. 2002;18(9):3669–75. CrossRef
- Breitmaier E, Voelter W. Carbon-13 NMR spectroscopy: high resolution methods and applications in organic chemistry and biochemistry. Verlag Chemie: Weinheim; 1986.
- Kalk A, Berendsen HJC. Proton magnetic relaxation and spin diffusion in proteins. J Magn Reson. 1976;24(3):343–66.
- Bhowmik A, Ellena JF, Bryant RG, Cafiso DS. Spin-diffusion couples proton relaxation rates for proteins in exchange with a membrane interface. J Magn Reson. 2008;194(2):283–8. CrossRef
- Bondarenko V, Yushmanov VE, Xu Y, Tang P. NMR study of general anesthetic interaction with nAChR beta2 subunit. Biophys J. 2008;94(5):1681–8. CrossRef
- Martini S, Consumi M, Bonechi C, Rossi C, Magnani A. Fibrinogen−catecholamine interaction as observed by NMR and fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Biomacromolecules. 2007;8(9):2689–96. CrossRef
- Stabilization of a Supersaturated Solution of Mefenamic Acid from a Solid Dispersion with EUDRAGIT® EPO
Volume 29, Issue 10 , pp 2777-2791
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- solid dispersion
- oral bioavailability
- EUDRAGIT® EPO
- Industry Sectors