Controlled Release of Anti-inflammatory siRNA from Biodegradable Polymeric Microparticles Intended for Intra-articular Delivery to the Temporomandibular Joint
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
As the next step in the development of an intra-articular controlled release system to treat painful temporomandibular joint (TMJ) inflammation, we developed several biodegradable poly(DL-lactic-co-glycolic acid) (PLGA)-based microparticle (MP) formulations encapsulating a model anti-inflammatory small interfering RNA (siRNA) together with branched poly(ethylenimine) (PEI) as a transfecting agent. The effect of siRNA loading and N:P ratio on the release kinetics of siRNA-PEI polyplexes was determined, and the size and N:P ratio of the polyplexes released over time was characterized.
Polyplex-loaded PLGA MPs were prepared using an established double emulsion technique. Increasing the pH of the release samples enabled siRNA-PEI dissociation and subsequent measurement of the release of each component over 28 days. Polyplex diameter was measured for all release samples and compared to freshly prepared siRNA-PEI under simulated physiologic conditions.
Systematic variation of siRNA loading and N:P ratio resulted in distinct siRNA and PEI release profiles. Polyplex diameter remained constant despite large variations in the relative amounts of siRNA and PEI. Excess PEI was sequestered through complexation with 500–1,000 nm diameter PLGA MP-derived particles, including small MPs and PLGA degradation products.
These PLGA MP formulations show exciting potential as the first intra-articular TMJ controlled release system.
- Tanaka E, Detamore MS, Mercuri LG. Degenerative disorders of the temporomandibular joint: etiology, diagnosis, and treatment. J Dent Res. 2008;87:296–307. CrossRef
- Mountziaris PM, Kramer PR, Mikos AG. Emerging intra-articular drug delivery systems for the temporomandibular joint. Methods. 2009;47:134–40. CrossRef
- Fredriksson L, Alstergren P, Kopp S. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha in temporomandibular joint synovial fluid predicts treatment effects on pain by intra-articular glucocorticoid treatment. Mediators Inflamm. 2006;2006:59425. CrossRef
- Spears R, Oakes R, Moore C, Bellinger LL, Hutchins B. A determination of tumor necrosis factor expression in TMJ inflammation with the use of microarray analysis. J Dent Res. 2003;82:807–13. CrossRef
- Inoue A, Takahashi KA, Mazda O, Terauchi R, Arai Y, Kishida T, et al. Electro-transfer of small interfering RNA ameliorated arthritis in rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:903–8. CrossRef
- Schiffelers RM, Xu J, Storm G, Woodle MC, Scaria PV. Effects of treatment with small interfering RNA on joint inflammation in mice with collagen-induced arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 2005;52:1314–8. CrossRef
- Kim W, Kim S. Efficient siRNA delivery with non-viral polymeric vehicles. Pharm Res. 2009;26:657–66. CrossRef
- Gary DJ, Puri N, Won Y-Y. Polymer-based siRNA delivery: Perspectives on the fundamental and phenomenological distinctions from polymer-based DNA delivery. J Control Release. 2007;121:64–73. CrossRef
- Mountziaris PM, Sing DC, Mikos AG, Kramer PR. Intra-articular microparticles for drug delivery to the rat TMJ. J Dent Res. 2010;89:1039–44. CrossRef
- Khan A, Benboubetra M, Sayyed PZ, Keng Wooi N, Fox S, Beck G, et al. Sustained polymeric delivery of gene silencing antisense ODNs, siRNA. DNAzymes and Ribozymes: In vitro and in vivo studies. J Drug Target. 2004;12:393–404. CrossRef
- Murata N, Takashima Y, Toyoshima K, Yamamoto M, Okada H. Anti-tumor effects of anti-VEGF siRNA encapsulated with PLGA microspheres in mice. J Control Release. 2008;126:246–54. CrossRef
- Jensen DMK, Cun D, Maltesen MJ, Frokjaer S, Nielsen HM, Foged C. Spray drying of siRNA-containing PLGA nanoparticles intended for inhalation. J Control Release. 2010;142:138–45. CrossRef
- Katas H, Cevher E, Alpar HO. Preparation of polyethyleneimine incorporated poly(d, l-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles by spontaneous emulsion diffusion method for small interfering RNA delivery. Int J Pharm. 2009;369:144–54. CrossRef
- Woodrow KA, Cu Y, Booth CJ, Saucier-Sawyer JK, Wood MJ, Saltzman WM. Intravaginal gene silencing using biodegradable polymer nanoparticles densely loaded with small-interfering RNA. Nat Mater. 2009;8:526–33. CrossRef
- Yuan X, Shah B, Kotadia N, Li J, Gu H, Wu Z. The development and mechanism studies of cationic chitosan-modified biodegradable PLGA nanoparticles for efficient siRNA drug delivery. Pharm Res. 2010;27:1285–95. CrossRef
- Brunner T, Cohen S, Monsonego A. Silencing of proinflammatory genes targeted to peritoneal-residing macrophages using siRNA encapsulated in biodegradable microspheres. Biomaterials. 2010;31:2627–36. CrossRef
- Cleek RL, Rege AA, Denner LA, Eskin SG, Mikos AG. Inhibition of smooth muscle cell growth in vitro by an antisense oligodeoxynucleotide released from poly(DL-lactic-co-glycolic acid) microparticles. J Biomed Mater Res A. 1997;35:525–30. CrossRef
- Patel ZS, Yamamoto M, Ueda H, Tabata Y, Mikos AG. Biodegradable gelatin microparticles as delivery systems for the controlled release of bone morphogenetic protein-2. Acta Biomater. 2008;4:1126–38. CrossRef
- Saraf A, Baggett LS, Raphael RM, Kasper FK, Mikos AG. Regulated non-viral gene delivery from coaxial electrospun fiber mesh scaffolds. J Control Release. 2010;143:95–103. CrossRef
- Moret I, Esteban Peris J, Guillem VM, Benet M, Revert F, Dasi F, et al. Stability of PEI-DNA and DOTAP-DNA complexes: effect of alkaline pH, heparin and serum. J Control Release. 2001;76:169–81. CrossRef
- Kramer PR, Puri J, Bellinger LL. Knockdown of Fcγ receptor III in an arthritic temporomandibular joint reduces the nociceptive response in rats. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:3109–18. CrossRef
- Fu K, Pack DW, Klibanov AM, Langer R. Visual evidence of acidic environment within degrading poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) (PLGA) microspheres. Pharm Res. 2000;17:100–6. CrossRef
- Kerner M, Hohenberg H, Ertl S, Reckermann M, Spitzy A. Self-organization of dissolved organic matter to micelle-like microparticles in river water. Nature. 2003;422:150–4. CrossRef
- J. Nguyen, R. Reul, S. Roesler, E. Dayyoub, T. Schmehl, T. Gessler, W. Seeger, and T.H. Kissel. Amine-modified poly(vinyl alcohol)s as non-viral vectors for siRNA delivery: Effects of the degree of amine substitution on physicochemical properties and knockdown efficiency. Pharm Res. Epub ahead of print: (2010).
- Krebs MD, Jeon O, Alsberg E. Localized and sustained delivery of silencing RNA from macroscopic biopolymer hydrogels. J Am Chem Soc. 2009;131:9204–6. CrossRef
- Bolcato-Bellemin A-L, Bonnet M-E, Creusat G, Erbacher P, Behr J-P. Sticky overhangs enhance siRNA-mediated gene silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:16050–5. CrossRef
- Li Y, Breaker RR. Kinetics of RNA degradation by specific base catalysis of transesterification involving the 2'-hydroxyl group. J Am Chem Soc. 1999;121:5364–72. CrossRef
- Cao H, Jiang X, Chai C, Chew SY. RNA interference by nanofiber-based siRNA delivery system. J Control Release. 2010;144:203–12. CrossRef
- Godbey WT, Wu KK, Mikos AG. Poly(ethylenimine) and its role in gene delivery. J Control Release. 1999;60:149–60. CrossRef
- Richards Grayson A, Doody A, Putnam D. Biophysical and structural characterization of polyethylenimine-mediated siRNA delivery in vitro. Pharm Res. 2006;23:1868–76. CrossRef
- Deng R, Diao S, Yue Y, Ngai T, Wu C, Jin F. Dynamic and structural scalings of the complexation between pDNA and bPEI in semidilute and low-salt solutions. Biopolymers. 2010;93:571–7.
- Mehrotra S, Lee I, Chan C. Multilayer mediated forward and patterned siRNA transfection using linear-PEI at extended N/P ratios. Acta Biomater. 2009;5:1474. CrossRef
- Saraf A, Hacker MC, Sitharaman B, Grande-Allen KJ, Barry MA, Mikos AG. Synthesis and Conformational Evaluation of a Novel Gene Delivery Vector for Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Biomacromolecules. 2008;9:818–27. CrossRef
- Controlled Release of Anti-inflammatory siRNA from Biodegradable Polymeric Microparticles Intended for Intra-articular Delivery to the Temporomandibular Joint
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 1370-1384
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- temporomandibular joint
- Industry Sectors