Reverse Iontophoresis of Amino Acids: Identification and Separation of Stratum Corneum and Subdermal Sources In Vitro
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To differentiate the stratum corneum (SC) and subdermal sources of amino acids (AAs) extracted by reverse iontophoresis.
13 zwitterionic AAs were quantified in this in vitro study. Repetitive tape-stripping permitted the distribution of the analytes to be determined in the SC. Iontophoresis experiments were performed in which the subdermal chamber contained either phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) only, or a mixture of the 13 AAs in PBS.
AAs were homogeneously distributed across the SC and broadly divided into three groups (high, medium, low) in terms of total amount present. As expected, extraction to the cathode for the essentially neutral analytes involved was more efficient. Initial samples obtained during the first hour of iontophoresis primarily extracted AAs from the SC. The fluxes observed in the latter half of the 6-h experiment, on the other hand, correlated well with the corresponding subdermal concentrations.
A relatively short extraction period (~1 h) by reverse iontophoresis can be used to evaluate the content of AAs in the SC. Once this ‘reservoir’ has been depleted, reverse iontophoresis can then monitor the subdermal concentrations of the AAs. The latter appears most useful for compounds which are present at lower levels in the SC.
- Murray RK, Granner DK, Mayes PA, Rodwell VW. Harper’s biochemistry. Stamford: Appleton & Lange; 2000.
- Bender DA. Amino acid metabolism. Chichester: Wiley; 1985.
- Leboulanger B, Guy RH, Delgado-Charro MB. Reverse iontophoresis for non-invasive transdermal monitoring. Physiol Meas. 2004;25:R35–50. CrossRef
- Pitzer KR, Desai S, Dunn T, Edelman S, Jayalakshmi Y, Kennedy J, et al. Detection of hypoglycemia with the GlucoWatch biographer. Diabetes Care. 2001;24:881–5. CrossRef
- Pikal MJ. The role of electroosmotic flow in transdermal iontophoresis. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2001;46:281–305. CrossRef
- Pikal MJ, Shah S. Transport mechanisms in iontophoresis. III. An experimental study of the contributions of electroosmotic flow and permeability change in transport of low and high molecular weight solutes. Pharm Res. 1990;7:222–9. CrossRef
- Merino V, Lopez A, Hochstrasser D, Guy RH. Noninvasive sampling of phenylalanine by reverse iontophoresis. J Control Release. 1999;61:65–9. CrossRef
- Longo N, Li SK, Yan G, Kochambilli RP, Papangkorn K, Berglund D, et al. Noninvasive measurement of phenylalanine by iontophoretic extraction in patients with phenylketonuria. J Inherit Metab Dis. 2007;30:910–5. CrossRef
- Sieg A, Jeanneret F, Fathi M, Hochstrasser D, Rudaz S, Veuthey JL, et al. Extraction of amino acids by reverse iontophoresis: simulation of therapeutic monitoring in vitro. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;70:908–13. CrossRef
- Sieg A, Jeanneret F, Fathi M, Hochstrasser D, Rudaz S, Veuthey J-L, et al. Extraction of amino acids by reverse iontophoresis in vivo. Eur J of Pharm Biopharm. 2009;72:226–31. CrossRef
- Rawlings AV. Sources and role of stratum corneum hydration. In: Elias PM, Feingold KR, editors. Skin barrier. New York: Taylor & Francis; 2006. p. 399–425.
- Rawlings AV, Matts PJ. Stratum corneum moisturization at the molecular level: an update in relation to the dry skin cycle. J Invest Dermatol. 2005;124:1099–110. CrossRef
- Rawlings AV, Scott IR, Harding CR, Bowser PA. Stratum corneum moisturization at the molecular level. J Invest Dermatol. 1994;103:731–41. CrossRef
- Horii I, Kawasaki K, Koyama J, Nakayama Y, Nakajima K, Okazaki K, et al. Histidine-rich protein as a possible origin of free amino acids of stratum corneum. Curr Probl Dermatol. 1983;11:301–15.
- Dale BA, Gown AM, Fleckman P, Kimball JR, Resing KA. Characterization of two monoclonal antibodies to human epidermal keratohyalin: reactivity with filaggrin and related proteins. J Invest Dermatol. 1987;88:306–13. CrossRef
- Scott IR, Harding CR, Barrett JG. Histidine-rich protein of the keratohyalin granules: Source of the free amino acids, urocanic acid and pyrrolidone carboxylic acid in the stratum corneum. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1982;719:110–7.
- Marstein S, Jellum E, Eldjarn L. The concentration of pyroglutamic acid (2-pyrrolidone-5-carboxylic acid) in normal and psoriatic epidermis, determined on a microgram scale by gas chromatography. Clin Chim Acta. 1973;49:389–95. CrossRef
- Sybert VP, Dale BA, Holbrook KA. IIchthyosis vulgaris: identification of a defect in synthesis of filaggrin correlated with an absence of keratohyaline granules. J Invest Dermatol. 1985;84:191–4. CrossRef
- Ghadially R, Reed JT, Elias PM. Stratum corneum structure and function correlates with phenotype in psoriasis. J Invest Dermatol. 1996;107:558–64. CrossRef
- Denda M, Hori J, Koyama J, Yoshida S, Nanba R, Takahashi M, et al. Stratum corneum sphingolipids and free amino acids in experimentally-induced scaly skin. Arch Dermatol Res. 1992;284:363–7. CrossRef
- Kezic S, Kemperman PMJH, Koster ES, de Jongh CM, Thio HB, Campbell LE, et al. Loss-of-function mutations in the filaggrin gene lead to reduced level of natural moisturizing factor in the stratum corneum. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:2117–9. CrossRef
- Kalia YN, Pirot F, Guy RH. Homogeneous transport in a heterogeneous membrane: water diffusion across human stratum corneum in vivo. Biophys J. 1996;71:2692–700. CrossRef
- Herkenne C, Naik A, Kalia YN, Hadgraft J, Guy RH. Pig ear skin ex vivo as a model for in vivo dermatopharmacokinetic studies in man. Pharm Res. 2006;23:1850–6. CrossRef
- Glikfeld P, Cullander C, Hinz RS, Guy RH. A new system for in vitro studies of iontophoresis. Pharm Res. 1988;5:443–6. CrossRef
- An improved gradient method for the AAA-Direct™ separation of amino acids and carbohydrates in complex sample matrices (Application Update 152). Sunnyvale: Dionex corporation; 2006. p. 12.
- Schmid-Wendtner MH, Korting HC. The pH of the skin surface and its impact on the barrier function. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2006;19:296–302. CrossRef
- Hadgraft J. Skin deep. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2004;58:291–9. CrossRef
- Rao G, Guy RH, Glikfeld P, LaCourse WR, Leung L, Tamada J, et al. Reverse iontophoresis: noninvasive glucose monitoring in vivo in humans. Pharm Res. 1995;12:1869–73. CrossRef
- Stegink LD, Filer LJ Jr, Brummel MC, Baker GL, Krause WL, Bell EF, et al. Plasma amino acid concentrations and amino acid ratios in normal adults and adults heterozygous for phenylketonuria ingesting a hamburger and milk shake meal. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;53:670–5.
- Lepage N, McDonald N, Dallaire L, Lambert M. Age-specific distribution of plasma amino acid concentrations in a healthy pediatric population. Clin Chem. 1997;43:2397–402.
- Reverse Iontophoresis of Amino Acids: Identification and Separation of Stratum Corneum and Subdermal Sources In Vitro
Volume 26, Issue 12 , pp 2630-2638
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- amino acids
- non-invasive monitoring
- reverse iontophoresis
- skin reservoir
- stratum corneum
- Industry Sectors