Fluorescent Molecular Rotors as Dyes to Characterize Polysorbate-Containing IgG Formulations
The aim was to evaluate fluorescent molecular rotors (DCVJ and CCVJ), which are mainly sensitive to viscosity, for the characterization of polysorbate-containing IgG formulations and compare them to the polarity-sensitive dyes ANS, Bis-ANS and Nile Red.
IgG formulations with polysorbate 20 or 80 were stressed below the aggregation temperature and analyzed by steady-state and time-resolved fluorescence and by HP-SEC with UV and fluorescent dye detection (Bis-ANS and CCVJ). Furthermore, commercial protein preparations of therapeutic proteins (Enbrel®50 mg, Humira®40 mg and MabThera®100 mg) were aggregated accordingly and analyzed with CCVJ fluorescence and HP-SEC.
Contrarily to (Bis-)ANS and Nile Red, the molecular rotors DCVJ and CCVJ showed low background fluorescence in polysorbate-containing buffers. Time-resolved fluorescence experiments confirmed the steady-state fluorescence data. Both DCVJ and CCVJ showed enhanced fluorescence intensity for aggregated IgG formulations and were suitable for the characterization of polysorbate-containing IgG formulations in steady-state fluorescence and HP-SEC with dye detection (CCVJ). CCVJ was capable of detecting thermally induced aggregation in the commercial polysorbate-containing products Enbrel®50 mg, Humira®40 mg and MabThera®100 mg.
Fluorescent molecular rotors are suitable probes to detect aggregation in polysorbate-containing IgG formulations.
- Norde, W (1995) Adsorption of proteins at solid-liquid interfaces. Cells Mater 5: pp. 97-112
- Kreilgaard, L, Jones, LS, Randolph, TW, Frokjaer, S, Flink, JM, Manning, MC, Carpenter, JF (1998) Effect of Tween 20 on freeze-thawing- and agitation-induced aggregation of recombinant, human factor XIII. J Pharm Sci 87: pp. 1597-1603
- Sarciaux, JM, Mansour, S, Hageman, MJ, Nail, SL (1999) Effects of buffer composition and processing conditions on aggregation of bovine IgG during freeze-drying. J Pharm Sci 88: pp. 1354-1361 CrossRef
- Kiese, S, Papppenberger, A, Friess, W, Mahler, HC (2008) Shaken, not stirred: mechanical stress testing of an IgG1 antibody. J Pharm Sci 97: pp. 4347-4366 CrossRef
- Thirumangalathu, R, Krishnan, S, Ricci, MS, Brems, DN, Randolph, TW, Carpenter, JF (2009) Silicone oil- and agitation-induced aggregation of a monoclonal antibody in aqueous solution. J Pharm Sci 98: pp. 3167-3181 CrossRef
- Jones, LS, Randolph, TW, Kohnert, U, Papadimitriou, A, Winter, G, Hagmann, ML, Manning, MC, Carpenter, JF (2001) The effects of tween 20 and sucrose on the stability of anti-L-selectin during lyophilization and reconstitution. J Pharm Sci 90: pp. 1466-1477 CrossRef
- Wang, W, Wang, YJ, Wang, DQ (2008) Dual effects of Tween 80 on protein stability. Int J Pharm 347: pp. 31-38 CrossRef
- Kerwin, BA (2008) Polysorbates 20 and 80 used in the formulation of protein biotherapeutics: structure and degradation pathways. J Pharm Sci 97: pp. 2924-2935 CrossRef
- Chames, P, Regenmortel, M, Weiss, E, Baty, D (2009) Therapeutic antibodies: successes, limitations and hopes for the future. Br J Pharmacol 157: pp. 220-233 CrossRef
- Daugherty, AL, Mrsny, RJ (2006) Formulation and delivery issues for monoclonal antibody therapeutics. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 58: pp. 686-706 CrossRef
- Centocor/Lilly. Repro, full prescribing information. (11/2005).
- Genentech. Raptiva, full prescribing information. (03/2009).
- Hawe, A, Sutter, M, Jiskoot, W (2008) Extrinsic fluorescent dyes as tools for protein characterization. Pharm Res 25: pp. 1487-1499 CrossRef
- Capelle, MA, Gurny, R, Arvinte, T (2009) A high throughput protein formulation platform: case study of salmon calcitonin. Pharm Res 26: pp. 118-128 CrossRef
- Hawe, A, Kasper, JC, Friess, W, Jiskoot, W (2009) Structural properties of monoclonal antibody aggregates induced by freeze-thawing and thermal stress. Eur J Pharm Sci 38: pp. 79-87 CrossRef
- Lindgren, M, Sorgjerd, K, Hammarstrom, P (2005) Detection and characterization of aggregates, prefibrillar amyloidogenic oligomers, and protofibrils using fluorescence spectroscopy. Biophys J 88: pp. 4200-4212 CrossRef
- Hawe, A, Friess, W, Sutter, M, Jiskoot, W (2008) Online fluorescent dye detection method for the characterization of immunoglobulin G aggregation by size exclusion chromatography and asymmetrical flow field flow fractionation. Anal Biochem 378: pp. 115-122 CrossRef
- Lee, K, Shin, SC, Oh, I (2003) Fluorescence spectroscopy studies on micellization of poloxamer 407 solution. Arch Pharm Res 26: pp. 653-658 CrossRef
- Mohr, A, Talbiersky, P, Korth, HG, Sustmann, R, Boese, R, Blaser, D, Rehage, H (2007) A new pyrene-based fluorescent probe for the determination of critical micelle concentrations. J Phys Chem B 111: pp. 12985-12992 CrossRef
- Zhang, X, Jackson, JK, Burt, HM (1996) Determination of surfactant critical micelle concentration by a novel fluorescence depolarization technique. J Biochem Biophys Methods 31: pp. 145-150 CrossRef
- Brito, RMM, Vaz, WLC (1986) Determination of the Critical Micelle Concentration of Surfactants Using the Fluorescent-Probe N-Phenyl-1-Naphthylamine. Anal Biochem 152: pp. 250-255 CrossRef
- Haidekker, MA, Brady, TP, Lichlyter, D, Theodorakis, EA (2005) Effects of solvent polarity and solvent viscosity on the fluorescent properties of molecular rotors and related probes. Bioorg Chem 33: pp. 415-425 CrossRef
- Kung, CE, Reed, JK (1989) Fluorescent molecular rotors — a new class of probes for tubulin structure and assembly. Biochemistry 28: pp. 6678-6686 CrossRef
- Haidekker, MA, Ling, TT, Anglo, M, Stevens, HY, Frangos, JA, Theodorakis, EA (2001) New fluorescent probes for the measurement of cell membrane viscosity. Chem Biol 8: pp. 123-131 CrossRef
- Akers, W, Haidekker, MA (2004) A molecular rotor as viscosity sensor in aqueous colloid solutions. J Biomech Eng-Trans ASME 126: pp. 340-345 CrossRef
- Amgen/Wyeth. Enbrel, full prescribing information. (09/2009).
- Abbott-Laboratories. Humira, full prescribing information. (03/2009).
- EMEA. MabThera-Product Information. edition 27.09.2009. London, UK: European Medicines agencies (EMEA) (2000).
- Yu, XC, Margolin, W (1998) Inhibition of assembly of bacterial cell division protein FtsZ by the hydrophobic dye 5, 5 '-bis-(8-anilino-1-naphthalenesulfonate). J Biol Chem 273: pp. 10216-10222 CrossRef
- Castro, GR, Larson, BK, Panilaitis, B, Kaplan, DL (2005) Emulsan quantitation by Nile red quenching fluorescence assay. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 67: pp. 767-770 CrossRef
- Chang, TL, Cheung, HC (1990) A model for molecules with twisted intramolecular charge-transfer characteristics - solvent polarity effect on the nonradiative rates of dyes in a series of water ethanol mixed-solvents. Chem Phys Lett 173: pp. 343-348 CrossRef
- Das, K, Sarkar, N, Nath, D, Bhattacharyya, K (1992) Nonradiative pathways of anilino-naphthalene sulfonates — twisted intramolecular charge-transfer versus intersystem crossing. Spectrochim Acta Part A: Mol Biomol Spectrosc 48: pp. 1701-1705 CrossRef
- Kurosawa, S, Tawara, E, Kamo, N, Kobatake, Y (1990) Oscillating frequency of piezoelectric quartz crystal in solutions. Anal Chim Acta 230: pp. 41-49 CrossRef
- Acharya, P, Rao, NM (2003) Stability studies on a lipase from Bacillus subtilis in guanidinium chloride. J Protein Chem 22: pp. 51-60 CrossRef
- Fu, X, Zhang, X, Chang, Z (2005) 4, 4'-Dianilino-1, 1'-binaphthyl-5, 5'-sulfonate, a novel molecule having chaperone-like activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 329: pp. 1087-1093 CrossRef
- Kundu, B, Guptasarma, P (1999) Hydrophobic dye inhibits aggregation of molten carbonic anhydrase during thermal unfolding and refolding. Proteins 37: pp. 321-324 CrossRef
- Sereikaite, J, Bumelis, VA (2006) Congo red interaction with alpha-proteins. Acta Biochim Pol 53: pp. 87-92
- Philo, JS (2006) Is any measurement method optimal for all aggregate sizes and types?. AAPS J 8: pp. E564-571 CrossRef
- Fluorescent Molecular Rotors as Dyes to Characterize Polysorbate-Containing IgG Formulations
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 314-326
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- fluorescent molecular rotors
- monoclonal antibodies
- size-exclusion chromatography
- Industry Sectors