The USP Performance Verification Test, Part II: Collaborative Study of USP’s Lot P Prednisone Tablets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Periodic performance verification testing (PVT) is used by laboratories to assess and demonstrate proficiency and for other purposes as well. For dissolution, the PVT is specified in the US Pharmacopeia General Chapter Dissolution <711> under the title Apparatus Suitability Test. For Apparatus 1 and 2, USP provides two reference standard tablets for this purpose. For each new lot of these reference standards, USP conducts a collaborative study.
For new USP Lot P Prednisone Tablets, 28 collaborating laboratories provided data. The study was conducted with three sets of tablets: Lot O open label, Lot O blinded, and Lot P blinded. The blinded Lot O data were used for apparatus suitability testing.
Acceptance limits were determined after dropping data due to failure of apparatus suitability, identification of data as unusual on control charts, or protocol violations.
Results yielded acceptance criteria of (47, 82) for Apparatus 1 and (37, 70) for Apparatus 2. Results generally were similar for Lot P compared to results from Lot O except that the average percent dissolved for Lot P is greater than for Lot O with Apparatus 2.
- G . Deng, A. J. Ashley, W. E. Brown, et al. The USP performance verification test, part I: USP Lot P Prednisone Tablets—quality attributes and experimental variables contributing to dissolution variance. DOI 10.1007/s11095-007-9498-7 (2008)
- USP, USP 30–NF 25, Dissolution <711>, Apparatus Suitability Test, US Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Rockville, MD, 2006, p. 282.
- ISO, Guide 43-1. Proficiency Testing by Interlaboratory Comparisons—Development and Operation of Proficiency Testing Schemes, 2nd ed., ISO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1997.
- USP, USP 30–NF 25, Validation of Compendial Procedures <1225>. US Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Rockville, MD, 2006, pp. 680–683.
- ICH, Q2 (R1) Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology.www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA417.pdf. Accessed June 28, 2007.
- R. A. Johnson and D. W. Wichem, Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis, fifth edition, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2002.
- W. W. Hauck, V. P. Shah, S. W. Shaw, and C. T. Ueda Reliability and reproducibility of vertical diffusion cells for determining release rates from semisolid dosage forms. Pharm. Res. 24:2018–2024 (2007).
- ISO. Guide 5725. Accuracy (Trueness and Precision) of Measurement Methods and Results—Part 6: Use in Practice of Accuracy Values, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1994.
- W.W. Hauck, R.G. Manning, T.L. Cecil, W. Brown, and R.L. Williams. Proposed changed to acceptance criteria for dissolution performance verification testing . Pharm. Forum. 33:574–579 (2007).
- The USP Performance Verification Test, Part II: Collaborative Study of USP’s Lot P Prednisone Tablets
Volume 25, Issue 5 , pp 1110-1115
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- acceptance limits
- Performance Verification Test
- United States Pharmacopeia
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. United States Pharmacopeia, 12601 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, Maryland, 20852, USA
- 2. USP 2005–2010 Biopharmaceutics Expert Committee, University of Kentucky Medical Center College of Pharmacy, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
- 3. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, 20201, USA