The Clergy Sex Abuse Crisis and the Mourning of American Catholic Innocence
- Marian Ronan
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The passionate response of many American Catholics to the clergy sex abuse crisis is an expression not only of legitimate anger over the sexual abuse of children and young people by Roman Catholic priests but also of resistance to mourning the significant losses post-immigrant American Catholics sustained in the last third of the twentieth century.
- Balmer, R. (1994). American fundamentalism: The ideal of femininity. In J. S. Hawley (Ed.), Fundamentalism and gender. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Brooks, R. (2003). A nation of victims. The Nation. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from www.thenation.com/doc/20030630/brooks, June 30
- Burns, G. (1992). The frontiers of Catholicism: The politics of ideology in a liberal world. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Butler, J. (1997). The psychic life of power: Theories in subjection. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Denniston, L. (2002). Scalia dissent questions bishops. The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from www.boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/stories2/062202_scalia.htm, June 22
- Dolan, J. P. (1978). Catholic revivalism. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press.
- Dolan, J. P. (1985). The American Catholic experience. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- Dombrowski, D. A., & Deltete, R. (2000). A brief, liberal, Catholic defense of abortion. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Elie, P. (2006). The year of two popes: How Joseph Ratzinger stepped into the shoes of John Paul II and what it means for the Catholic Church. The Atlantic, 297(1). Retrieved July 12, 2007 from http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200601/ratzinger.
- Ellis, J. T. (1956). American Catholics and the intellectual life. Chicago: Heritage Foundation.
- Fisher, J. T. (1989). The Catholic counterculture in America 1933–1962. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.
- Franchot, J. (1994). Roads to Rome: The antebellum Protestant encounter with Catholicism. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Freud, S. (1953). Mourning and melancholia. In J. Strachey (Ed. & Trans.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud (Vol. 14, pp. 243–258). London: Hogarth (Original work published 1917).
- Green, J. C., Smidt, C. E., Guth, L., & Kellstedt, L. A. (2005). The American religious landscape and the 2004 presidential vote: Increased polarization. The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://pewforum.org/ docs/index.php?DocID=64.
- Halsey, W. H. (1980). The survival of American innocence: Catholicism in an era of disillusionment, 1920–1940. Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press.
- Jenkins, P. (1996). Pedophiles and priests: Anatomy of a contemporary crisis. New York: Oxford University Press (Paperback edition, 2000).
- Jenkins, P. (2003). The new Anti-Catholicism: The last acceptable prejudice. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Jewison, N. (Director) (1985/2002). Agnes of God. Glendale, CA: Sony Pictures DVD (Motion picture).
- Johnson, P. (1976). A history of Christianity. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Justice for Priests and Deacons (n.d.). Have Your Rights Been Violated? Retrieved July 11, 2007 from www.justiceforpriests.org.
- Katznelson, I. (2005). When affirmative action was white: An untold history of racial inequality in twentieth-century America. New York: W. W. Norton.
- McGreevy, J. (2003). Catholicism and American freedom. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Mickens, R. (2005). US seminary visitation mired in controversy. The Tablet. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.thetablet.co.uk/cgi-bin/register.cgi/citw-past-00249, September 24.
- Miller, M. (2005). Spokane ruling: Blow to canon law. TheDeal.com. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://tdddts1.thedeal.com/results.aspx?searchType=basic&sortspec=searchdate+DESC&source=theDeal.com&product_id=5&querytext=Matt+Miller+&x=16&y=14, August 30.
- Mitscherlich, A., & Mitscherlich, M. (1975). The inability to mourn: Principles of collective behavior, (Beverley R. Placzek, Trans.). New York: Grove.
- Morrow, D. B. (2002). Persons of color and religious at the same time: The Oblate Sisters of Providence 1828–1860. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.
- O’Brien, C. (2004). Parish closings. National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/ is_5_41/ai_n8680845#continue, November 19.
- Orsi, R. A. (1997). ‘Mildred, is it fun to be a cripple?’: The culture of suffering in mid-twentieth-century American Catholicism. In T. Ferraro (Ed.), Catholic lives, contemporary America (pp. 19–64). Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Paulson, M. (2002). Catholics favoring priesthood changes. The Boston Globe. Retrieved August 20, 2005 from http://www.boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/stories/ [021002_poll.htm, February 10.
- Santner, E. L. (1990). Stranded objects: Mourning, memory, and film in postwar Germany. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Siegel, D. (Director) (1970/2003). Two mules for Sister Sara. Hollywood, CA: Universal Studios DVD (Motion picture).
- Sipe, A. W. R. (2003). View from the eye of the storm. In LINKUP National Conference, Louisville, KY. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.votf.org/Survivor_Support/sipe.html, February 23.
- Steinfels, P. (2004). A people adrift: The crisis of the Roman Catholic Church in America. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Survivors’ Network of Those Abused by Priests (2004). Sex abuse group wants abusers names, not bureaucratic process. Retrieved March 30, 2005 from http://www.snapnetwork.org. (Press release no longer available on web site), March 11.
- Survivors’ Network of Those Abused by Priests (2005a). Sex abuse group criticizes Riverside DA/diocese’s sex abuse secret deal. Retrieved August 22, 2005 from http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_press_releases/2005_press_releases/072105_CA_Sex_Abuse_Secret_Deal.html. (Press release no longer available on web site).
- Survivors’ Network of Those Abused by Priests (2005b). Support group blasts archbishop for legal tactics. Retrieved August 22, 2005 from http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_press_releases/005_press_releases/ 072205_IA_archbishop_legal_maneuvers.html (Press release no longer available on web site).
- Survivors’ Network of Those Abused by Priests (n.d.). SNAP’s mission. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.snapnetwork.org/index.html.
- Tentler, L. W. (2005). Catholics and contraception: An American history. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (2004). The nature and scope of the problem of sexual abuse of minors by Catholic priests and deacons in the United States: A research study conducted by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. Retrieved July 10, 2007 from http://www.usccb.org/nrb/johnjaystudy/.
- Vatican Congregation for Catholic Education (2005). Concerning the criteria of vocational discernment regarding persons with homosexual tendencies in view of their admission to seminaries and holy orders. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html, November 4.
- Voice of the Faithful (2005). Survivor-sponsored & VOTF events. Retrieved August 22, 2005 from http://www.voiceofthefaithful.org/. (Document no longer available on website).
- Voice of the Faithful (n.d. -1). Mission statement and goals. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.voiceofthefaithful.org/Who_We_Are/mission.html.
- Voice of the Faithful (n.d.-2). Survivor’s kit. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.voiceofthefaithful.org/Survivor_Support/calendar.html.
- Wills, G. (2000). Papal sin: Structures of deceit. New York, Doubleday.
- Wills, G. (2002). Priests and boys. The New York Review of Books, 49(10), 10–15, June 13.
- Wypijewski, J. (2005). The passion of Paul Shanley: Priest abuse and recovered memory. Counterpunch. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from http://www.counterpunch.org/jw01292005.html, January 29/30.
- Zapor, P. (2004). Kennedy to Kerry: Catholic candidates in strikingly different times. Catholic News Service. Retrieved July 11, 2007 from at http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0402050.htm, April 15.
- The Clergy Sex Abuse Crisis and the Mourning of American Catholic Innocence
Volume 56, Issue 3 , pp 321-339
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Clergy sex abuse
- Working through
- Marian Ronan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. American Baptist Seminary of the West and Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA, 94704, USA