Active Oxidation of Liquid Silicon: Experimental Investigation of Kinetics
Small scale laboratory experiments on the oxidation of liquid silicon have reproduced important features of the industrial refining of liquid silicon: active oxidation led to the formation of amorphous silica spheres as a reaction product. The boundary condition for active oxidation in terms of maximum oxygen partial pressure in the bulk gas was found to lie between 2·10−3 and 5·10−3 atm at T = 1,500 °C. The active oxidation of liquid silicon had linear kinetics, and the rate was proportional to bulk oxygen partial pressure and the square root of the linear gas flow rate, consistent with viscous flow mass transfer theory. Classical theory for unconstrained flow over a flat plate led to mass transfer rates for SiO(g) which were 2–3 times slower than observed. However, computational fluid dynamic modeling to take into account the effects of reactor tube walls on flow patterns yielded satisfactory agreement with measured volatilization rates.
- Schei, A, Tuset, JK, Tveit, H (1998) Production of High Silicon Alloys. Tapir Forlag, Trondheim
- A. Ashrafian, S. T. Johansen, S. Gaal, B. Andresen, and O. S. Klevan, in 6th international Conference on CFD in Oil & Gas, Metallurgical and Process Industries (SINTEF/NTNU, Trondheim, Norway, 10–12 June, 2008).
- M. K. Næss, G. Tranell, J. E. Olsen, N. E. Kamfjord and K. Tang, Oxidation of Metals, doi:10.1007/s11085-012-9303-9 (2012).
- Wagner, C (1958) Journal of Applied Physics 29: pp. 1295 CrossRef
- Ratto, M, Ricci, E, Arato, E, Costa, P (2001) Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B 32: pp. 903 CrossRef
- Hinze, JW, Graham, HC (1976) Journal of the Electrochemical Society 123: pp. 1066 CrossRef
- Carter, P, Gleeson, B, Young, DJ (2001) Oxidation of Metals 56: pp. 375 CrossRef
- HSC Chemistry 7.0, Outotec. Research Oy, Helsinki (2009).
- Young, DJ, Pint, BA (2006) Oxidation of Metals 66: pp. 137 CrossRef
- R. B. Bird, W. E. Stewart and E. N. Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena, Chaps. 1 & 17 (Wiley, New York, ISBN 0-471-41077-2 2002).
- N. E. Kamfjord, H. Tveit, M. K. Næss and E. H. Myrhaug, in TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society, March 11–15, Walt Disney World, Orlando, FL, USA, 2012).
- Active Oxidation of Liquid Silicon: Experimental Investigation of Kinetics
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Oxidation of Metals
Volume 78, Issue 5-6 , pp 363-376
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Active oxidation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), 7491, Trondheim, Norway
- 2. School of Materials Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales, UNSW, Sydney, NSW, 2052, Australia
- 3. SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, 7465, Trondheim, Norway