Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article continues the line of argument and historical interpretation we offered in “The Policy Scientist of Democracy: The Discipline of Harold D. Lasswell” by way of a response to Ronald Brunner’s “The Policy Scientist of Democracy Revisited.” Problems regarding Lasswell’s capacious vision of the policy scientist and vagaries surrounding “democracy,” do not diminish the importance of the questions Lasswell asked and left as his legacy to the discipline of political science. We here supply further evidence for our historical interpretation of Lasswell and sketch what sort of “policy scientist of democracy” fits our times and the current state of the discipline of political science.
- Brodbeck, A. J. (1969). Scientific heroism from a standpoint within social psychology. In A. A. Rogow (Ed.), Politics, personality, and social science in the twentieth century: Essays in honor of Harold D. Lasswell. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Brunner, R. D. (2000). Extreme events and the policy sciences. Extreme events: Developing a research agenda for the 21 st century, Conference for the National Science Foundation. Denver, Colorado.
- Brunner, R. D. (2007). The policy scientist of democracy revisited. Policy Sciences, doi:10.1007/s11077-007-9042-y
- Crow, J. A. (1992). The epic of Latin America (4th ed.). Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Doughty, P. L. (2004). Review of Stein. Deconstructing Development Discourse. American Ethnologist, 31(November).
- Easton, D. (1950). Harold Lasswell: Policy scientist for a democratic society. Journal of Politics, 12 (August), 450–477.
- Farr, J., Hacker J. S., & Kazee, N. (2006). The policy scientist of democracy: The discipline of Harold D. Lasswell. American Political Science Review, 100(November), 579–587.
- Gewirth, A. (1949). Political power and democratic psychiatry. Ethics, 59(January), 136–142.
- Holmberg, A. (1966). Vicos: Método y Práctica de la Antropología Aplicada. Lima: Editorial Etudios Andinos.
- Lasswell, H D. (1927). The theory of political propaganda. American Political Science Review, 21(August), 627–631.
- Lasswell, H. D. (1928). The function of the propagandist. Ethics, 38, 258–268. CrossRef
- Lasswell, H. D. (1930). Psychopathology and politics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Lasswell, H. D. (1934). Propaganda. Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, first edition, 12, 521–527.
- Lasswell, H. D. (1941). Democracy through public opinion. Menasha, WI: Banta Publishing.
- Lasswell, H. D. (1956). The political science of science: An inquiry into the possible reconciliation of mastery and freedom. American Political Science Review, 50(December), 961–979.
- Lasswell, H. D. (1963). The future of political science. New York: Prentice Hall.
- Lasswell, H. D. (1965). The emerging policy sciences of development: The Vicos Case. American Behavioral Scientist, 8(March), 28–33.
- Lasswell Papers, Manuscripts and Archives, Sterling Memorial Library, Yale University. MSS 1043.
- Merelman, R. M. (1981). Harold D. Lasswell’s political world: Weak tea for hard times. British Journal of Political Science, 11(October), 471–497.
- Oakeshott, M. (1948). Review of Lasswell. The Analysis of Political Behavior. The Cambridge Journal, 1(February), 326–328.
- Pielke, R. A. (2004). What future for the policy sciences? Policy Sciences, 37(3–4), 209–225. CrossRef
- Ross, E. B. (2006). Vicos as cold war strategy: Anthropology, peasants, and community development. Anthropology in Action, 12(October), 21–33.
- Rubenstein, R., & Laswell, H. D. (1966). The sharing of power in a psychiatric hospital. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Stein, W. W. (2003). Deconstructing development discourse in Peru: A meta-ethnography of the modernity project at Vicos. University Press of America.
- Wolpert, J. F. (1949). Review of Lasswell. Language of Politics. Ethics, 60(October), 69–71.
- Zapata, G. (2006). Memories of Vicos. On-line translation of Memorias de Vicos. Historia Antropología Y Fuentes Orales, 3, 1–19.
- Revisiting Lasswell
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 21-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Policy sciences
- Industry Sectors