Tuning of PID Controllers Based on Bode’s Ideal Transfer Function
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a new strategy for tuning PID controllers based on a fractional reference model. The model is represented as an ideal closed-loop system whose open-loop is given by the Bode’s ideal transfer function. The PID controller parameters are determined by the minimization of the integral square error (ISE) between the time responses of the desired fractional reference model and of the system with the PID controller. The resulting closed-loop system (with the PID controller) has the desirable feature of being robust to gain variations with step responses exhibiting an iso-damping property. Several examples are presented that demonstrate the effectiveness and validity of the proposed methodology.
- Oldham, K. B. and Spanier, J. The Fractional Calculus: Theory and Application of Differentiation and Integration to Arbitrary Order, Academic Press, New York, 1974.
- Miller, K. S. and Ross, B. An Introduction to the Fractional Calculus and Fractional Differential Equations, Wiley, New York, 1993.
- Podlubny, I. Fractional Differential Equations, Academic Press, San Diego, California, 1999.
- Hilfer, R. Applications of Fractional Calculus in Physics, World Scientific, Singapore, 2000.
- Oustaloup, A. La Dérivation Non Entière, Hermès, Paris, 1995.
- Machado, J. A. T. ‘Analysis and design of fractional-order digital control systems’, SAMS Journal Systems Analysis, Modelling, Simulation 27, 1997, 107–122.
- Machado, J. A. T. ‘Discrete-time fractional-order controllers’, FCAA Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis 4(1), 2001, 47–66.
- Vinagre, B. M., Podlubny, I., Hernández, A., and Feliu, V. ‘Some approximations of fractional order operators used in control theory and applications’, FCAA Fractional Calculus and Applied Analysis 3(3), 2000, 231–248.
- Manabe, S. ‘The non-integer integral and its application to control systems’, ETJ of Japan 6(3/4), 1961, 83–87.
- Aström, K. and Hägglund, T. PID Controllers: Theory, Design, and Tuning, Instrument Society of America, North Carolina, 1995.
- Martins de Carvalho, J. L. Sistemas de Controle Automático, LTC-Livros Técnicos e Científicos Editora S. A., Rio de Janeiro, 2000.
- Podlubny, I. ‘Fractional-order systems and PIλDμ-controllers’, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 44(1), 1999, 208–213.
- Bode, H. W. Network Analysis and Feedback Amplifier Design, Van Nostrand, New York, 1945.
- Gorenflo, R. and Mainardi, F. ‘Fractional oscillations and Mittag-Leffler functions’, Pre-print A-14/96, Free University of Berlin, Berlin, 1996, pp. 1–22.
- Barbosa, R. S., Machado, J. A. T., and Ferreira, I. M. ‘A fractional calculus perspective of PID tuning’, in the Proceedings of the ASME International 19th Biennial Conference on Mechanical Vibration and Noise (VIB’03), Chicago, Illinois, September 2–6, 2003, CD-ROM.
- Chen, Y. Q., Hu, C. H., and Moore, K. L. ‘Relay feedback tuning of robust PID controllers with iso-damping property’, in the Proceedings of the 42nd IEEE conference on Decision and Control, Maui, Hawaii, December 9–12, 2003, pp. 2180–2185.
- Zhuang, M. and Atherton, D. P. ‘Automatic tuning of optimum PID controllers’, IEE Proceedings-Part D: Control Theory and Applications 140(3), 1993, 216–224.
- Tuning of PID Controllers Based on Bode’s Ideal Transfer Function
Volume 38, Issue 1-4 , pp 305-321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bode’s ideal transfer function
- fractional calculus
- fractional-order systems
- ISE optimization
- PID tuning
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electrotechnical Engineering, Institute of Engineering of Porto, Rua Dr. António Bernardino de Almeida, 4200-072, Porto, Portugal
- 2. Department of Electrotechnical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering of Porto, Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200-465, Porto, Portugal