Changes in the ventral dendrite of Mauthner neurons in goldfish after optokinetic stimulation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recent studies have established that following an optomotor drum rotating in the direction contralateral to that spontaneously preferred by goldfish fry inverts their motor asymmetry. Studies of the structure of Mauthner neurons (MN) using the histological technique of three-dimensional reconstruction along with measurement of the volumes of the right and left MN in these fish showed that the ipsilateral MN underwent a three-fold reduction in the volume of the ventral dendrite (VD), which was in inverse proportion to the functional activity of the MN. The total volume of the contralateral MN was 25% larger than the volume of the ipsilateral MN, the situation typical of intact fish. It is suggested that the decreases in the size of the VD receiving afferentation from the contralateral eye, which follows the moving band of the optomotor drum, results from the specific contralateral visual stimulation, and is the first evidence of the possible natural stimulation of the MN via the VD.
- N. N. Karpuk, I. B. Mikheeva, N. V. Oreshkin, et al., “Electrophysiological studies of Mauthner neurons in goldfish fry in vitro,” Neirofiziologiya, 36, No. 4, 286–296 (2004).
- G. Z. Mikhailova, A. V. Artyunyan, I. M. Santalova, et al., “Asymmetry in the motor behavior of goldfish in a narrow channel,” Neirofiziologiya, 37, No. 1, 52–60 (2005).
- G. Z. Mikhailova, V. D. Pavlik, N. R. Tiras, and D. A. Moshkov, “Correlation between Mauthner neuron size and the preference of goldfish to rotate to the right or left,” Morfologiya, 127, No. 2, 16–19 (2005).
- G. Z. Mikhailova, N. R. Tiras, V. D. Pavlik, et al., “Morphological characteristics of Mauthner neurons in goldfish with altered motor behavior asymmetry,” Neirofiziologiya, 38, No. 1, 18–31 (2006).
- D. A. Moshkov, Neuron Adaptation and Ultrastructure [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1985).
- N. R. Tiras, G. Z. Mikhailova, and D. A. Moshkov, “Effects induced by actin polymerization by a peptide in goldfish Mauthner neurons,” Neirofiziologiya, 38, No. 5, 3890400 (2006).
- R. Sh. Shtanchaev, G. Z. Mikhailova, N. Yu. Dektyareva, et al., “Effects of optokinetic stimulation on motor asymmetry in goldfish,” Neirofiziologiya, 39, No. 2, 97–123 (2007).
- H. Korn and D. S. Faber, “The Mauthner cell half a century later: a neurobiological model for decision-making?” Neuron, 47, No. 1, 13–22 (2005). CrossRef
- D. K. Ryugo, M. M. Wu, and T. Pongstaporn, “Activity-related features of synapse morphology: a study of end bulbs of held,” J. Comp. Neurol., 365, No. 3, 141–158 (1996). CrossRef
- T. Schuster, “Experimental alterations in number and length of different membrane complexes on axosomatic contacts in the trouts (Salmon irideus),” J. Hirnforschung, 19, No. 3, 45–73 (1978).
- C. Tailby, L. L. Wright, A. B. Metha, and M. B. Calford, “Activity-dependent maintenance and growth of dendrites in adult cortex,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 102, No. 12, 4631–4636 (2005). CrossRef
- S. A. Weiss, S. J. Zottoli, S. C. Do, et al., “Correlation of the C-start behaviors with neural activity recorded from the hindbrain in free-swimming goldfish (Carassius auratus),” J. Exptl. Biol., 209, No. 23, 4788–4801 (2006). CrossRef
- S. J. Zottoli and D. S. Faber, “Properties and distribution of anterior VIII-th nerve excitatory inputs to the goldfish Mauthner cell,” Brain Res., 174, No. 2, 319–323 (1979). CrossRef
- S. J. Zottoli, A. R. Hordes, and D. S. Faber, “Localization of optic tectal input to the ventral dendrite of the goldfish Mauthner cell,” Brain Res., 401, No. 1, 113–121 (1987). CrossRef
- Changes in the ventral dendrite of Mauthner neurons in goldfish after optokinetic stimulation
Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology
Volume 38, Issue 9 , pp 917-921
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Mauthner neurons
- specific visual stimulation
- morphofunctional asymmetry
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory for Neuron Ultrastructure (Director: Professor D. A. Moshkov), Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Biophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Russia
- 2. Master’s Educational Program “Medical-Biological Sciences,” (Director: Professor É. I. Lezhnev), Biophysics and Biomedicine Teaching Center, Pushchino State University, Pushchino, Russia