Experience in the use of actovegin in the treatment of patients with cognitive disorders in the acute period of stroke
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Forty-three patients with mild-moderate ischemic stroke were studied in the acute period and were divided into two groups. The experimental group consisted of 32 patients who were given Actovegin; the reference group consisted of 11 patients who were given piracetam. Patients were investigated before treatment and at 10 and 30 days; investigations included examination, points assessments of neurological disorders using the original Gusev-Skvortsova scale, neuropsychological tests using the MMSE scale, rheoencephalography, and electroencephalography. Analysis of changes in clinical features in patients treated with Actovegin during the acute period showed that Actovegin had clear positive effects both on general cerebral and on focal neurological symptoms. By the end of treatment, the extent of recovery of impaired functions, assessed in terms of total ischemic points and cognitive functions, was significantly greater in patients treated with Actovegin than in patients given piracetam. These data lead to the conclusion that Actovegin is effective in the treatment of patients with ischemic stroke.
- E. I. Gusev and V. I. Skvortsova, Brain Ischemia [in Russian], Meditsina, Moscow (2001).
- A. L. Vertkin, M. I. Lukashov, A. V. Naumov, and Yu. S. Skorikova, “Clinical-morphological aspects of neuroprotective therapy in acute cerebral circulatory failure,” RMZh, 15, No. 2, 106–113 (2007).
- Methodological Recommendations for the Organization of Neurological Services to Patients with Stroke in St. Petersburg [in Russian], St. Petersburg (2002).
- A. I. Fedin and S. A. Rumyantseva, “The concept of infusion therapy using neuroprotectors in the intensive treatment of stroke patients. Actovegin in neurology,” in: Collection of Scientific-Practical Articles [in Russian], Moscow (2002), pp. 119–124.
- N. N. Yakhno and V. V. Sakharov, “Dementia,” RMZh, 12/13, 539.
- Experience in the use of actovegin in the treatment of patients with cognitive disorders in the acute period of stroke
Neuroscience and Behavioral Physiology
Volume 38, Issue 8 , pp 873-875
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- ischemic stroke
- acute period
- cognitive impairments
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology and Manual and Reflex Therapy, Urals State Medical Academy of Further Postgraduate Education, Russian Ministry of Health, Chelyabinsk, Russia
- 2. City Clinical Hospital No. 3, Chelyabinsk, Russia