Comparative coordination vs. comparative subordination
- Timothy Osborne
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper explores the syntax of comparatives in English and German. The account builds on the insight that the syntax of comparatives is a combination of coordination and subordination. At times a than-expression is coordinate to a string that immediately precedes it, and at other times, it is subordinate to it. Six key observations are the pillars of the account. These observations accomplish three goals: 1) They determine when comparative coordination obtains, as opposed to comparative subordination; 2) they predict the form that a particular than-expression can assume (e.g. phrasal, clausal); and most importantly, 3) they predict to a large extent the distribution of than-expressions. The key concept is functional equivalence. One can predict the distribution of many than-expressions by acknowledging where they can appear with respect to their functional equivalents. The theory-neutral account remains entirely in surface syntax.
- Baltin, Mark. 2006. Extraposition. In Vol. 2 of The Blackwell companion to syntax, eds. Martin Everaert and Henk van Riemsdijk, 253–271. Malden: Blackwell.
- Bhatt, Rajesh, and Roumyana Pancheva. 2004. Late merger of degree clauses. Linguistic Inquiry 35: 1–45. CrossRef
- Brame, Michael. 1983. Ungrammatical notes 4: smarter than me. Linguistic Analysis 12: 323–338.
- Bresnan, Joan. 1973. Syntax of the comparative clause construction in English. Linguistic Inquiry 4: 275–243.
- Bresnan, Joan. 1976. On the form and functioning of transformations. Linguistic Inquiry 7: 3–40.
- Corver, Norbert. 2006. Comparative deletion and subdeletion. In Vol. 1 of The Blackwell companion to syntax, eds. Martin Everaert and Henk van Riemsdijk, 582–637. Malden: Blackwell. CrossRef
- Grimshaw, Jane. 1987. Subdeletion. Linguistic Inquiry 18: 659–669.
- Hankamer, Jorge. 1973. Unacceptable ambiguity. Linguistic Inquiry 4: 17–68.
- Hazout, Ilan. 1995. Comparative ellipsis and logical form. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 13: 1–37. CrossRef
- Hoeksema, Jacob. 1983. Negative polarity and the comparative. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 1: 403–434. CrossRef
- Huddleston, Rodney. 1967. More on the English comparative. Journal of Linguistics 3: 91–102. CrossRef
- Huddleston, Rodney, and Geoffrey Pullum. 2002. In The Cambridge grammar of the English language, eds. Rodney Huddleston and Geoffrey Pullum, 1099–1170.
- Kennedy, Christopher. 2002. Comparative deletion and optimality in syntax. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 20: 553–621. CrossRef
- Kennedy, Christopher, and Jason Merchant. 2000. Attributive comparative deletion. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 18: 89–146. CrossRef
- Lozano, Carmen, and Jessie Pinkham. 1984. Spanish comparatives without ellipsis. In Papers from the twentieth regional meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society 20: 271–280.
- Lechner, Winfried. 2001. Reduced and phrasal comparatives. Natural Language & Linguistic Theory 19: 683–735. CrossRef
- Lechner, Winfried. 2004. Ellipsis in comparatives. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
- McCawley, James. 1988. In Vol. 2 of The syntactic phenomena of English. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Napoli, Donna Jo. 1983. Comparative ellipsis: a phrase structure analysis. Linguistic Inquiry 14: 675–694.
- Pinkham, Jessie. 1982a. The formation of comparative clauses in French and English. Doctoral dissertation, Harvard University. Reproduced by the Indiana University Linguistics Club.
- Pinkham, Jessie. 1982b. The rule of comparative ellipsis in French and English. Papers from the eighteenth regional meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society (CLS), 440–452.
- Pinkham, Jessie 1984. On comparative ellipsis. Linguistic Analysis 13: 183–193.
- Pollock, Jean Yves. 1989. Verb movement, Universal Grammar, and the structure of IP. Linguistic Inquiry 20: 365–424.
- Ryan, Karen. 1983 Than as coordinator. Papers from the nineteenth regional meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society, 353–361.
- Van Valin, Robert, and Randy LaPolla. 1997. Syntax: structure, meaning and function. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Comparative coordination vs. comparative subordination
Natural Language & Linguistic Theory
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 427-454
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Functional equivalence
- Comparative deletion
- Timothy Osborne (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures, The Pennsylvania State University, 427 Burrowes, State College, PA, 16802, USA