Selection of entomopathogenic fungi for use in combination with sub-lethal doses of imidacloprid: perspectives for the control of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa Forel (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the first part of this study, four isolates of the fungus Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuillemin (LPP1, LPP2, CG05 and CG24) and one isolate of Metarhizium anisopliae (Metsch.) Sorokin (CG46) were tested against adult foragers of Atta sexdens rubropilosa. Ants were allowed to walk on filter paper discs, inside Petri dishes, previously impregnated with 1 ml of a conidia suspension (2 × 107 conidia ml−1), maintained at 80% RH and 26°C for 24 h and subsequently, transferred to sterile Petri dishes, maintained at 23°C, 80% RH, 24 h dark. The mean values of LT50 for LPP2, LPP1, CG46, CG24 and CG05 were 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 4.2 and 4.4 days, respectively. Control insects for all tests in this study showed less than 10% mortality. Experiments were carried out to test the toxicity of imidacloprid (IMI) to A. sexdens rubropilosa. Mortality was evaluated 10 days following a 24 h exposure to the insecticide. Percent mortality caused by 500, 200, 100 and 10 ppm IMI was 77.8, 56.7, 45.5 and 5.5 respectively. Insects treated with 10 ppm IMI were observed to have reduced locomotor activity 24 h after exposure to the insecticide. The LC50 of IMI was 154.3 ppm. Subsequent tests were carried out to evaluate the combination of a sub-lethal dose of IMI (10 ppm) and infection by CG24 (1 × 107 conidia ml−1). Mortality due to fungal infection alone was 43.3%. Mortality of insects treated with IMI followed by exposure to the fungus was 64.3%. These results indicate that IMI significantly increases the susceptibility of ants to infection by B. bassiana CG24.
- Cherrett, JM, Peregrine, DJ (1976) A review of the status of leaf-cutting ants and their control. Ann App Biol 84: pp. 124-8 CrossRef
- Cherrett, JM (1986) The biology, pest status and control of leaf-cutting ants. Agric Zool Rev 1: pp. 1-37
- Lofgren CS. The search for chemical bait toxicants. In: Lofgren CS, Vander Meer RK, editors. Fire ants and leaf-cutting ants: biology and management. Colorado, USA: Westview Press; 1986. p. 369–77.
- Debach, P (1974) Biological control by natural enemies. Cambridge University Press, London
- Charnley AK. Entomopathogenic fungi and their role␣in pest control. In: Wicklow DT, Söderström M, editors. The mycota IV—environmental and microbial relationships. Berlim Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag; 1997. pp. 185–201.
- Pereira, RM, Stimac, JL (1997) Biocontrol options for urban pest ants. J Agric Entomol 14: pp. 231-48
- Jaccoud DB. Biological control of leaf-cutting ants, Atta sexdens: laboratory studies on the pathogen Metarhizium anisopliae. MSc. Thesis, University of London, UK, 1996.
- Santos AV, Oliveira BL, Samuels RI. Selection of entomopathogenic fungi for the use in combination with sublethal doses of imidacloprid: perspectives for the control of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). In: XXI International Congress Of Entomology. Foz do Iguaçu, PR, Brazil, 2000, 540 p.
- Jaccoud, DB, Hughes, WO, Jackson, CW (1999) The epizootiology of Metarhizium infection in mini-nests of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 93: pp. 51-61 CrossRef
- Elbert, A, Becker, B, Hartwig, J, Erdelen, C (1991) Imidacloprid—a new systemic insecticide. Pflanzenschutz-Nachrichten Bayer 44: pp. 113-36
- Boucias, DG, Stokes, C, Storey, G, Pendland, JC (1996) The effects of imidacloprid on the termite Reticulitermes flavipes and its interaction with the mycopathogen Beauveria bassiana. Pflanzenschutz-Nachrichten Bayer 49: pp. 103-44
- Lacey, LA (1997) Manual of techniques in insect pathology. Academic Press, San Diego, Cal
- Sparks TC, Sparks A. MicroProbit—program of analysis of dose response by a method of probit analysis, 1987.
- Almeida, JEM, Alves, SB, Pereira, RM (1997) Selection of Beauveria spp. isolates for control of the termite Heterotermes tenuis (Hagen, 1858). J Appl Entomol 121: pp. 539-43 CrossRef
- Alves, SB, Stimac, JL, Camargo, MTV (1988) Suscetibilidade de Solenopsis invicta Buren e S. saevissima Fr. Smith. a isolados de Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. Anais da Sociedade Entomológica do Brasil 17: pp. 379-87
- Almeida, JEM, Alves, SB (1996) Mortalidade de Heterotermes tenuis (Hagen) atraídos por armadilhas com Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. e imidacloprid. Anais da Sociedade Entomológica do Brasil 25: pp. 507-12
- Almeida JEM, Alves SB, Moino A JR, Lopes RB. Controle do cupim subterrâneo Heterotermes tenuis (Hagen) com iscas termitrap impregnadas com inseticidas e associadas ao fungo entomopatogênico Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. Anais da Sociedade Entomológica do Brasil 1997;27:639–44.
- Wilson, EO (1971) The insect societies. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Mass
- Kermarrec A, Febvay G, Decharme M. Protection of leaf-cutting ants from biohazards: is there a future for microbiological control? In: Lofgren CS, Vander-Meer RK, editors. Fire ants and leaf-cutting ants: biology and management. Colorado, USA: Westview Boulder; 1986. p. 339–56.
- Hölldobler, B, Wilson, EO (1990) The ants. Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, Mass
- Oi, DH, Pereira, RM (1993) Ant behavior and microbial pathogens (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Fla Entomol 76: pp. 63-74 CrossRef
- Currie CR, Stuart AE. Weeding and grooming of pathogens in agriculture by ants. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 2001;268:1033–9.
- Samuels, RI, Coracini, DAL (2004) Selection of Beauveria bassiana and Metarhizium anisopliae isolates for the control of Blissus antillus (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae). Scientia Agricola 61: pp. 271-5
- Quintela, ED, Mccoy, CW (1997) Effects of imidacloprid on development, mobility, and survival of first instars of Diaprepes abbeviatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). J Econ Entomol 90: pp. 988-95
- Quintela, ED, Mccoy, CW (1997) Pathogenicity enhancement of Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana to first instars of Diaprepes abbreviatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) with sublethal doses of imidacloprid. Environ Entomol 26: pp. 1173-82
- Quintela, ED, Mccoy, CW (1998) Synergistic effect of imidacloprid and two entomopathogenic fungi on the behavior and survival of larvae of Diaprepes abbreviatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in soil. J Econ Entomol 91: pp. 110-22
- Quintela, ED, Mccoy, CW (1998) Conidial attachment of Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana to the larval cuticle of Diaprepes abbreviatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) treated with imidacloprid. J Invertebr Pathol 72: pp. 220-30 CrossRef
- Alves SB, Leucona RE. Epizootiologia aplicada ao controle microbiano de insetos. In: Alves SB, editor. Controle microbiano de insetos. Piracicaba: FEALQ; 1998. p. 97–169.
- Bot, ANM, Currie, CR, Hart, AG, Boomsma, JJ (2001) Waste management in leaf-cutting ants. Ethol Ecol Evol 13: pp. 225-37 CrossRef
- North, RD, Jackson, V, Howse, PE (1997) Evolutionary aspects of ant fungus interaction in leaf-cutting ants. Trends Ecol Evol 12: pp. 386-9 CrossRef
- Serrao, AEC, Guedes, RNC, Della Lucia, TMC (2000) Sub-lethal effects of abamectin suppressing colonies of the leaf-cutting ant Acromyrmex subterraneus subterraneus. Pest Manag Sci 56: pp. 1059-64 CrossRef
- Selection of entomopathogenic fungi for use in combination with sub-lethal doses of imidacloprid: perspectives for the control of the leaf-cutting ant Atta sexdens rubropilosa Forel (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)
Volume 163, Issue 4 , pp 233-240
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Beauveria bassiana
- Biological control
- Metarhizium anisopliae
- Industry Sectors