Super-resolution reconstruction in a computational compound-eye imaging system
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
From consumer electronics to biomedical applications, device miniaturization has shown to be highly desirable. This often includes reducing the size of some optical systems. However, diffraction effects impose a constraint on image quality when we simply scale down the imaging parameters. Over the past few years, compound-eye imaging system has emerged as a promising architecture in the development of compact visual systems. Because multiple low-resolution (LR) sub-images are captured, post-processing algorithms for the reconstruction of a high-resolution (HR) final image from the LR images play a critical role in affecting the image quality. In this paper, we describe and investigate the performance of a compound-eye system recently reported in the literature. We discuss both the physical construction and the mathematical model of the imaging components, followed by an application of our super-resolution algorithm in reconstructing the image. We then explore several variations of the imaging system, such as the incorporation of a phase mask in extending the depth of field, which are not possible with a traditional camera. Simulations with a versatile virtual camera system that we have built verify the feasibility of these additions, and we also report the tolerance of the compound-eye system to variations in physical parameters, such as optical aberrations, that are inevitable in actual systems.
- Bose N.K., Boo K.J. (1998). High-resolution image reconstruction with multisensors. International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology 9(4): 294–304 CrossRef
- Castleman K.R. (1996). Digital image processing. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Castro A., Ojeda-Castañeda J. (2004). Asymmetric phase masks for extended depth of field. Applied Optics 43(17): 3474–3479 CrossRef
- Dowski E.R. Jr., Cathey W.T. (1994). Single-lens single-image incoherent passive-ranging systems. Applied Optics 33(29): 6762–6773 CrossRef
- Dowski E.R. Jr., Cathey W.T. (1995). Extended depth of field through wave-front coding. Applied Optics 34(11): 1859–1866
- Duparré J., Dannberg P., Schreiber P., Bräuer A., Tünnermann A. (2005). Thin compound eye camera. Applied Optics 44(15): 2949–2956 CrossRef
- Duparré, J., Schreiber, P., Dannberg, P., Scharf, T., Pelli, P., Völkel, R., Herzig, H.-P., & Bräuer, A. (2004). Artificial compound eyes—different concepts and their application to ultra flat image acquisition sensors. In: MOEMS and miniaturized systems IV, ser. proceedings of the SPIE, San Jose, California, USA, Vol. 5346, pp. 89–100.
- Duparré J., Schreiber P., Matthes A., Pshenay-Severin E., Bräuer A., Tünnermann A. (2005). Microoptical telescope compound eye. Optics Express 13(3): 889–903 CrossRef
- Elad M., Feuer A. (1997). Restoration of a single superresolution image from several blurred, noisy, and undersampled measured images. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 6(12): 1646–1658 CrossRef
- Goodman J.W. (1996). Introduction to fourier optics. 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York
- Hornsey, R., Thomas, P., Wong, W., Pepic, S., Yip, K., & Krishnasamy, R. (2004). Electronic compound-eye image sensor: Construction and calibration. In: Proceedings of the IS&T/SPIE symposium on electronic imaging 2004. Niagara Falls, Ontario, Candada.
- Katsaggelos A.K. (1991). Digital image restoration. Springer, New York
- Kitamura Y., Showgenji R., Yamada K., Miyatake S., Miyamoto M. Morimoto, T., Masaki, Y., Kondou, N., Miyazaki, D., & Tanida, J. (2004). Reconstruction of a high-resoloution image on a compound-eye image-capturing system. Applied Optics, 43(8), 1719–1727.
- Krishnasamy, R., Wong, W., Shen, E., Pepic, S., Hornsey, R., & Thomas, P. (2004). High precision target tracking with a compound-eye image sensor. In: Canadian conference on electrical and computer engineering 2004, San Jose, California, USA.
- Lam E.Y. (2002). Digital restoration of defocused images in the wavelet domain. Applied Optics 41(23): 4806–4811
- Lam E.Y., Goodman J.W. (1998). Discrete cosine transform domain restoration of defocused images. Applied Optics 37(26): 6213–6218 CrossRef
- Mait J.N., Athale R., van der Gracht J. (2003). Evolutionary paths in imaging and recent trends. Optics Express 11(18): 2093–2101 CrossRef
- Neumann, J., Fermüller, C., Aloimonos, Y., & Brajovic, V. (2004). Compound eye sensor for 3D ego motion estimation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS ’04), IEEE.
- Ng M., Bose N.K. (2002). Analysis of displacement errors in high-resolution image reconstruction with multisensors. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I 49, 806–813 CrossRef
- Ng M.K., Bose N.K. (2003). Mathematical analysis of super-resolution methodology. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine 20(3): 62–74 CrossRef
- Ng M.K., Chan R.H., Chan T.F., Yip A.M. (2000). Cosine transform preconditioners for high resolution image reconstruction. Linear Algebra and Its Applications 316(1–3): 89–104 CrossRef
- Ng M., Yip A. (2001). A fast MAP algorithm for high-resolution image reconstruction with multisensors. Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing 12(2): 143–164 CrossRef
- Prasad S., Torgersen T., Pauca P., Plemmons R., van der Gracht J. (2004). High-resolution imaging using integrated optical systems. International Journal on Imaging Systems and Technology 14(2): 67–74 CrossRef
- Sherif S.S., Cathey W.T., Dowski E.R. (2004). Phase plate to extend the depth of field of incoherent hybrid imaging systems. Applied Optics 43(13): 2709–2721 CrossRef
- Tanida J., Kumagai T., Yamada K., Miyatake S., Ishida K., Morimoto T., Kondou N., Miyazaki D., Ichioka Y. (2001). Thin observation module by bound optics (TOMBO): Concept and experimental verification. Applied Optics 40(11): 1806–1813
- Super-resolution reconstruction in a computational compound-eye imaging system
Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing
Volume 18, Issue 2-3 , pp 83-101
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- 2. Department of Mathematics, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong