New Definition of Discovery for Solar System Objects
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We propose a new formal definition of discovery for a Solar System object. It is based on an objective and mathematically rigorous algorithm to assess when a set of observations is enough to constitute a discovery. When this definition is satisfied, in almost all cases the orbit is defined well enough to establish the nature of the object discovered (Main Belt vs. Near Earth Asteroid, Trans-Neptunian vs. long period comet). The frequency of occurrence of exceptions is estimated by a set of numerical experiments.
The availability of a non-subjective definition of discovery allows some rules to be adopted for the assignment of discovery credit with a minimum risk of dispute. Such rules should be fair, encourage good practice by the observers and acknowledge the contribution of the orbit computers providing the identifications and the orbits, as well as the one of all the contributing observers.
- Boattini, A., Milani, A., Gronchi, G. F. and Valsecchi, G. B.: 2006, in Milani et al. (eds.), Near Earth Objects, our Celestial Neighbors: Opportunity and Risk, submitted.
- Carpino M., Milani A., Chesley S. R. (2003) Icarus 166:248–270 CrossRef
- Danby, J. M. A.: 1988, Fundamentals of Celestial Mechanics, 2nd edn., Richmond VA, Willmann Bell.
- Milani A., Sansaturio M.E., Tommei G., Arratia O., Chesley S. R. (2005a) Astron. Astrophys. 431:729–746 CrossRef
- Milani A., Gronchi G. F., Knežević Z., Sansaturio M. E., Arratia O. (2005) Icarus 79:350–374 CrossRef
- Milani A. et al.: 2006, in D. Lazzaro et al. (eds.), Asteroids Comets Meteors 2005, Cambridge University Press, pp. 367–380.
- Plummer H. C. (1918) An Introductory Treatise on Dynamical Astronomy. Dover Publications, New York
- Sansaturio, M. E., Milani, A. and Cattaneo, L.: 1996, in S. Ferraz-Mello (ed.), Dynamics, Ephemerides and Astrometry of the Solar System, Kluwer, pp. 193–198.
- Virtanen, J, Muinonen, K., Granvik, M. and Laasko, T.: 2005, in Z. Knežević and A. Milani (eds.), Dynamics of Populations of Planetary Systems, Cambridge University Press, pp.␣239–248.
- New Definition of Discovery for Solar System Objects
Earth, Moon, and Planets
Volume 100, Issue 1-2 , pp 83-116
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- orbit determination
- Industry Sectors