Signal threshold adaptation for vertical handoff in heterogeneous wireless networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The convergence of heterogeneous wireless access technologies has been envisioned to characterize the next generation wireless networks. In such converged systems, the seamless and efficient handoff between different access technologies (vertical handoff) is essential and remains a challenging problem. The heterogeneous co-existence of access technologies with largely different characteristics results in handoff asymmetry that differs from the traditional intra-network handoff (horizontal handoff) problem. In the case where one network is preferred, the vertical handoff decision should be carefully executed, based on the wireless channel state, network layer characteristics, as well as application requirements. In this paper, we study the performance of vertical handoff using the integration of 3G cellular and wireless local area networks as an example. In particular, we investigate the effect of an application-based signal strength threshold on an adaptive preferred-network lifetime-based handoff strategy, in terms of the signalling load, available bandwidth, and packet delay for an inter-network roaming mobile. We present an analytical framework to evaluate the converged system performance, which is validated by computer simulation. We show how the proposed analytical model can be used to provide design guidelines for the optimization of vertical handoff in the next generation integrated wireless networks.
- R. Berezdivin, R. Breinig and R. Topp, Next-generation wireless communications concepts and technologies, IEEE Comm. Mag. 40(3) (March 2002) 108–116.
- M.M. Buddhikot, G. Chandranmenon, S. Han, Y.W. Lee, S. Miller and L. Salgarelli, Integration of 802.11 and third generation wireless data networks, in: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, San Francisco, US, (Apr. 2003) pp. 503–512.
- A.K. Salkintzis, C. Fors and R. Pazhyannur, WLAN-GPRS integration for next-generation mobile data networks, IEEE Wireless Comm. 9(5) (Oct. 2002) 112–124.
- I.F. Akyildiz, J. McNair, J. Ho, H. Uzunalioglu and W. Wang, Mobility management in current and future communications networks, IEEE Network 12(4) (July/Aug. 1998) 39–49.
- B. Liang and Z.J. Haas, Predictive distance-based mobility management for multi-dimensional pcs networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 11(5) (Oct. 2003) 718–732.
- J. Makela, M. Ylianttila and K. Pahlavan, Handoff decision in multi-service networks, in: Proc. of 11th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC’00), vol. 1, London, UK (Sep. 2000) pp. 655–659.
- G.P. Pollini, Trends in handover design, IEEE Comm. Mag. 34(3) (March 1996) 82–90.
- A. Hatami, P. Krishnamurthy, K. Pahlavan, M. Ylianttila, J. Makela and R. Pichna, Analytical framework for handoff in non-homogeneous mobile data networks, in: Proc. of (PIMRC’99), Osaka, Japan (Sep. 1999) pp. 760–764.
- M. Ylianttila, M. Pande, J. Makela and P. Mahonen, Optimization scheme for mobile users performing vertical hand-offs between IEEE 802.11 and GPRS/EDGE networks, in: Proc. of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference GLOECOM’01, vol. 6, San Antonio, Texas, USA (Nov. 2001) pp. 3439–3443.
- M. Ylianttila, J. Makela and P. Mahonen, Supporting resource allocation with vertical handoffs in multiple radio network environment, in: Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC’02), Lisbon, Portugal (Sep. 2002) pp. 64–68.
- H. Park, S. Yoon, T. Kim, J. Park, M. Do and J. Lee, Vertical handoff procedure and algorithm between IEEE802.11 WLAN and CDMA cellular network. Proc. CDMA Int’l Conf., (2002) pp. 103–112.
- M. Ylianttila, R. Pichna, J. Vallstram, J. Makela, A. Zahedi, P. Krishnamurthy, and K. Pahlavan, Handoff procedure for heterogeneous wireless networks, in: Proc. of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM’99) 5 (Dec. 1999) pp. 2783–2787.
- K. Pahlavan, P. Krishnamurthy, A. Hatami, M. Ylianttila, J.P. Makela, R. Pichna and J. Vallstron, Handoff in hybrid mobile data networks, IEEE Comm. Mag 7(4) (Apr. 2000) 34–47.
- A. Majlesi and B.H. Khalaj, An adaptive fuzzy logic based handoff algorithm for hybrid networks, in: Proc. of 6th International Conference on Signal Processing 2 (Aug. 2002) pp. 1223–1228.
- H. Wang, R.H. Katz and J. Giese, Policy-enabled handoffs across heterogeneous wireless networks, in: Proc. of the Second IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computer Systems and Applications, New Orleans, Louisiana (Feb. 1999) p. 51.
- F. Zhu and J. McNair, Optimizations for vertical handoff decision algorithms, in: Proc. of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC) 2 (March 2004) 867–872.
- L. Chen, T. Sun, B. Chen, V. Rajendran and M. Gerla, A smart decision model for vertical handoff, The 4th Int’l Workshop on Wireless Internet and Reconfigurability (ANWIRE’04) (May 2004).
- M.M. Buddhikot, G. Chandranmenon, S. Han, Y. Lee, S. Miller and L. Salgarelli, Design and implementation of a WLAN/CDMA2000 interworking architecture, IEEE Commun. Mag. 41(11) (Nov. 2003) 90–100.
- T.S. Rappaport, Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice (Prentice Hall, July 1999).
- K. Murakami, O. Haase, J. Shin and T. LaPorta, Mobility management alternatives for migration to mobile internet session-based services, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communi. 22(5) (June 2004) 834–848.
- C. Guo, Z. Guo, Q. Zhang and W. Zhu, A seamless and proactive end-to-end mobility solution for roaming across heterogeneous wireless networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communi. 22(5) (Jun. 2004) 834–848.
- C. Tepedelenlioglu and G. Giannakis, On velocity estimation and correlation properties of narrow-band mobile communication channels, IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology 50(4) (July 2001) 1039–1052.
- Q. Zhang, C. Guo, Z. Guo and W. Zhu, Efficient mobility management for vertical handoff between WWAN and WLAN, IEEE Commun. Mag. 41(11) (Nov. 2003) 102–108.
- N. Zhang and J.M. Holtzman, Analysis of handoff algorithms using both absolute and relative measurements, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 45(1) (Feb. 1996) 174–179.
- A. Papoulis and S. Pillai, Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, 4th ed. (McGraw-Hill, 2002).
- G. Bolch, S. Greiner, H. de Meer and K.S. Trivedi, Queuing networks and Markov Chains: Modeling and Performance Evaluation with Computer Science Applications, 2nd ed. (Wiley, Aug. 1998).
- IEEE Standard, Part 11: Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications, IEEE, 1999.
- 3GPP2 Standard, CDMA2000 wireless ip network standard: Packet data mobility and resource management, 3GPP2 X.S0011-003-C v1.0, Sep. 2003.
- N. Tripathi, J. Reed and H. VanLandingham, Handoff in cellular systems, IEEE Personal Commun. 5(6) (Dec. 1998) 26–37.
- Signal threshold adaptation for vertical handoff in heterogeneous wireless networks
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 625-640
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Heterogeneous wireless networks
- Seamless integration
- Vertical handoff
- Application signal strength threshold
- 3G cellular
- Wireless LAN
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, 10 King’s College Road, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3G4, Canada
- 2. Bell Canada/Wireless Technology, Floor 5N - 5099 Creekbank Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 5N2, Canada